Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    The heck does that mean?
    Can I just sign into any wireless network with it?

ReputationRep:
    Yep, WLAN is the same as wifi as far as I know

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clarusblue)
    Yep, WLAN is the same as wifi as far as I know
    Whoa.

That sounds kinda good to me. Now just to find a cellphone that does the trick?

I'd do the Samsung Star II thing but it doesn't have UMTS.

I have no idea but I thought UMTS is important?
    :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohnJoe)
    Whoa.

That sounds kinda good to me. Now just to find a cellphone that does the trick?

I'd do the Samsung Star II thing but it doesn't have UMTS.

I have no idea but I thought UMTS is important?
    :/
    I think most phones are able to do that now? I'm clueless about this stuff though, I don't even know what UMTS is

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clarusblue)
    I think most phones are able to do that now? I'm clueless about this stuff though, I don't even know what UMTS is
    Yeah me neither. I only know that it's the third generation of telecommunication software. And every phone is equipped with it by now. Something like that.. lol.

Not even sure if I need it.

So.. do I get Wlan or UMTS? :/
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    WLan stands for wireless local area connection. The internet is a wide network, whereas a lan is a small internal network. Many smartphones support WLan which enables you to wirelessly connect to local networks such as college networks.

UMTS is an internet network type. It's a 3G network and offers fairly decent speeds for upload and download.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DayneD89)
    WLan stands for wireless local area connection. The internet is a wide network, whereas a lan is a small internal network. Many smartphones support WLan which enables you to wirelessly connect to local networks such as college networks.

UMTS is an internet network type. It's a 3G network and offers fairly decent speeds for upload and download.
    Oh, thanks.

How about Wlan on a non UMTS phone though? That's what I just got, some Samsung Star II.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Oh, thanks.

How about Wlan on a non UMTS phone though? That's what I just got, some Samsung Star II.
    They are for different things. UMTS is essentially a standard for connecting to the internet. If your phone doesn't support UMTS it will probably only connect to a network at 2G speeds. WLAN means that it is able to connect to a wireless LAN though.

The Samsung Star II connects to a mobile internet at 2G speeds (GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900) and supports WLAN over 802.11 b/g/n.

UMTS is a standard for connecting to the internet . It offers 3G speeds and you could almost substitute UMTS for 3G and be correct. The WLAN is for connecting via wifi.

ReputationRep:
    Most phones since around 2005 have had wi-fi/WLAN connectivity and UMTS (3G) support, not including the cheapest £10 phones you get from your operator.

There's a high chance your phone supports both.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HJV)
    Most phones since around 2005 have had wi-fi/WLAN connectivity and UMTS (3G) support, not including the cheapest £10 phones you get from your operator.

There's a high chance your phone supports both.
    Instructions say Samsung Star II thingy doesn't have UMTS.

Do you know any other phones that can do Internet from random Wlan networks at an acceptable speed? (Probably not over about 80€?)

They are for different things. UMTS is essentially a standard for connecting to the internet. If your phone doesn't support UMTS it will probably only connect to a network at 2G speeds. WLAN means that it is able to connect to a wireless LAN though.

The Samsung Star II connects to a mobile internet at 2G speeds (GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900) and supports WLAN over 802.11 b/g/n.

UMTS is a standard for connecting to the internet . It offers 3G speeds and you could almost substitute UMTS for 3G and be correct. The WLAN is for connecting via wifi.
    Hm, so I would probably have to wait about 20 minutes to load a/n page/email on the Star II? It's supportive for Wlan but it's not a UMTS phone, that's what it says.

Or.. do you know anything decent and not too expensive that I can use for msn/email properly on my Uni network/starbucks sort of Wlan networks?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Instructions say Samsung Star II thingy doesn't have UMTS.

Do you know any other phones that can do Internet from random Wlan networks at an acceptable speed? (Probably not over about 80€?)

Hm, so I would probably have to wait about 20 minutes to load a/n page/email on the Star II? It's supportive for Wlan but it's not a UMTS phone, that's what it says.

Or.. do you know anything decent and not too expensive that I can use for msn/email properly on my Uni network/starbucks sort of Wlan networks?
    If you're connecting over wifi you should be able to load pages very fast. I have an HTC sensation XE and your phones wifi abilities really aren't any worse than mine. The lack of 3G support on your phone will make loading pages slower over a mobile Internet connection, but 2G isn't too much slower than 3G or 3.5G.

I could help you look for a cheap 3.5G phone if you want (phones advertised as 4G are usually actually 3.5G), but it won't really effect the speed unless you're not on a wifi connection. 3.5G android devices can be found for around £100 if that is what you're looking for though.

ReputationRep:
    If you're connecting over wifi you should be able to load pages very fast. I have an HTC sensation XE and your phones wifi abilities really aren't any worse than mine. The lack of 3G support on your phone will make loading pages slower over a mobile Internet connection, but 2G isn't too much slower than 3G or 3.5G.

I could help you look for a cheap 3.5G phone if you want (phones advertised as 4G are usually actually 3.5G), but it won't really effect the speed unless you're not on a wifi connection. 3.5G android devices can be found for around £100 if that is what you're looking for though.
    If you have time, I'd love if you could suggest some maybe? It just needs to be quick loading pages/emails and it has to be able to work msn, that's all I need . (I'll figure out just HOW to use msn on a phone, I mean I can hardly install the software on it, can I? :/)

Never hurts to look around and I am really crappy with technical stuff..
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    If you have time, I'd love if you could suggest some maybe? It just needs to be quick loading pages/emails and it has to be able to work msn, that's all I need . (I'll figure out just HOW to use msn on a phone, I mean I can hardly install the software on it, can I? :/)

Never hurts to look around and I am really crappy with technical stuff..
    I always have time to talk about phones

If Internet speed is your main concern you should go for a 3.5G phone. HTC Sensation XE, Samsung Galaxy SII and iPhone 4S keep being described as 4G, but they're really not. They are 3.5G. Well Orange recently introduced the Orange San Francisco II which is a 3.5G android phone that you can purchase for £99 plus £10 top up. It's certainly not as powerful as the top end phones, but for that price it's an amazing deal as it runs android 2.3 (same as the £500 android phones) with a 800MHz CPU and 512MB ram.

http://shop.orange.co.uk/mobile-phon...range-in-black

I would recommend flashing it as the UI is quite ugly. This can be a daunting process even for techies, but that phone is fairly simple to root and with a good guide you can have it done in 30 min by following instructions. It's an android phone, so yes you would literally install the software you want on it direct from the marketplace. I use ebuddy which connects to my facebook chat and msn and keeps them open for me at all times.

ReputationRep:
    I always have time to talk about phones

If Internet speed is your main concern you should go for a 3.5G phone. HTC Sensation XE, Samsung Galaxy SII and iPhone 4S keep being described as 4G, but they're really not. They are 3.5G. Well Orange recently introduced the Orange San Francisco II which is a 3.5G android phone that you can purchase for £99 plus £10 top up. It's certainly not as powerful as the top end phones, but for that price it's an amazing deal as it runs android 2.3 (same as the £500 android phones) with a 800MHz CPU and 512MB ram.

http://shop.orange.co.uk/mobile-phon...range-in-black

I would recommend flashing it as the UI is quite ugly. This can be a daunting process even for techies, but that phone is fairly simple to root and with a good guide you can have it done in 30 min by following instructions. It's an android phone, so yes you would literally install the software you want on it direct from the marketplace. I use ebuddy which connects to my facebook chat and msn and keeps them open for me at all times.
    NO idea if I can actually get that here in austria. Do I get a SIM card with that one or..? Because I actually have one, but not from orange. I wonder if it'd work.

Does the Star II actually work for msn? I just need my damn msn actually. Even though that San Francisco II looks kinda appealing.

Anything which isn't from a certain operator?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    NO idea if I can actually get that here in austria. Do I get a SIM card with that one or..? Because I actually have one, but not from orange. I wonder if it'd work.

Does the Star II actually work for msn? I just need my damn msn actually. Even though that San Francisco II looks kinda appealing.

Anything which isn't from a certain operator?
    You should be able to get msn working on your phone. I would recommend ebuddy. Point your phone (while internet connected) to http://get.ebuddy.com and you should be able to get that working. Let me know if that does/doesn't work and I'll find another way.

Just as a note, if your phone only shows pages in a mobile browser, opera mini will get it working like a smartphone to view web pages.

Any phone can be unlocked, but I'm not even sure what networks are available in Austria, so I'm not sure how much I can help there other than unlocking a phone.

ReputationRep:
    You should be able to get msn working on your phone. I would recommend ebuddy. Point your phone (while internet connected) to http://get.ebuddy.com and you should be able to get that working. Let me know if that does/doesn't work and I'll find another way.

Just as a note, if your phone only shows pages in a mobile browser, opera mini will get it working like a smartphone to view web pages.

Any phone can be unlocked, but I'm not even sure what networks are available in Austria, so I'm not sure how much I can help there other than unlocking a phone.
    Thanks a lot, I'll try as soon as possible with the next Wlan I find and let you know how it works out. If I'm lucky maybe even from my phone!!

Now it's time to zz, already 4:27 in the morning. .-.

Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.