Turn on thread page Beta

Measuring central angle of a curve given arc and chord length (approximate) watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello math experts, thanks for giving me the opportunity to post here.

My maths education is limited to a 16 yr old's so your help is much appreciated.

In my attachment, I have measured A, B and C in 112 different subjects. Using these measurements, I hope to come up with an approximate index that can be used to compare between subjects.

To approximate the arc length, I am going to average A and B. C will be the chord length of that curve. My question is: how can I measure the central angle of that curve given these values? It does not have to be exact, just an estimation that can be used to subjectively describe if one subject is more curved than the other.

In fact, it doesn't even have to be the central angle. Just a discrete value of some sort. Even something as simple as a ratio?

Please help! Thank you.

edit:

B is the outer trace and A the inner trace. C is the linear distance between the midpoints of the straight segments, and the straight segments are NOT included in neither A nor B.

Jason
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    This post in a nutshell: If you try and calculate the angle directly then you don't get much success. However the angle does depend on the ratio between arc length and chord length so it's worth recording that.

Spoiler:
    Show

Ok, let's say that your value for the arc length, the average of A and B, is D.

Let t be the central angle of the curve, and r be the radius, if the curve had been drawn on a circle. See this diagram:

http://cosketch.com/Saved/pptdeAOd

By the cosine law, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_of_cosines C^2=r^2+r^2-2\times r\times r \cos t. Simplified, this gives C^2=2r^2(1-\cos t).

For the next equation, we have to assume that t is measured in radians instead of degrees. Radians is just another unit of measurement for angles where pi radians = 180 degrees. Radians have a number of useful properties which are needed for this formula to work.

Using some of the formulas on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arc_(geometry) we have D=r\times t.

Now we put these formulas together:

C^2=2r^2(1-\cos t) and D=rt

Hence r^2=\frac{C^2}{2(1-\cos t)} and r^2=\frac{D^2}{t^2}

Therefore \frac{C^2}{2(1-\cos t)}=\frac{D^2}{t^2} and so \frac{1-\cos t}{t^2}=\frac{C^2}{2D^2}

It would be harder to get t from this. If you really wanted to, there's probably some numerical method that would do it but otherwise let's just work with this.

If you plot the graph of (1-cos(t))/t^2 http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i...i%2C+0%3Cy%3C1 then you'll see that you're likely to get a value slightly smaller than 1/2, where smaller values imply a larger angle.

This suggests that if C/D is smaller then the curve has a larger angle. So you would probably be best off just recording the ratio C/D for simplicity.

ReputationRep:
    hi thanks for your reply. so you're saying, the measurements i have made are useful, but there is no use in calculating the angle? what do you recommend for an approximate measurement of curvature?

ReputationRep:
    The way A and B are measured do not make for good arc lengths! See how A is more curved/wiggly than B, this means when you stretch the distance out to make an arc you will get a longer distance than what you are trying to model.

Even if you do figure out a good way to use A and B, you will probably get much lower values for curvature than you would expect/if you did it by by hand etc.. You might even get curvature in the wrong direction if A is not really straight between vertebrae. Using straight lines would give a better result (see pic).

You can see by taking the average of A and B in the second pic approximates to the blue line in the middle. This is the same as what you did before. Just divide the arc length by the chord length to get a "how curved is this" parameter. The higher the ratio the more curved it is. As you can see a circle wouldn't really approximate this well.

You have enough info to get the angles but not from the lengths alone. If you had the point coordinates (ie start and stop point of each line) you could find the angles not only for each vertebrae but for the whole thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wooja978)
    hi thanks for your reply. so you're saying, the measurements i have made are useful, but there is no use in calculating the angle?
    You can use them to get the angle - it's just that you wouldn't be able to calculate it directly. You would have to use trial and improvement or some other method that gives you a sequence of approximations to the angle.
    what do you recommend for an approximate measurement of curvature?
    If you calculate the arc length divided by the chord length then the larger the value you get, the more curvey it is.

ReputationRep:
    thanks guys you both have been really helpful in explaining things! i just clicked on the spoiler bar and saw that equation. too complicated i think. i wish i had your skills then this would be so much easier. i could get co-ordinates and things but the idea is so foreign to me it'll take me months to get it. i'll stick to arc/chord length for now and see what i get. thanks!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 27, 2011

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Equations

Best calculators for A level Maths

Tips on which model to get

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.