The Student Room Group

Staring at the rejection email or letter all day.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
The strangest thing happened to me. I got my rejection from Oxford at around 11h00; was so heart broken I went to bed. Woke up at around 13h00, checked my e-mails and BANG! I got an offer from Warwick :smile:

Maybe it's a blessing in disguise cause I will get more exemptions from the actuarial exams with Warwick MMORSE than with Oxford......
Reply 61
Original post by Blackburn_Allen
Although I'm only 18, and haven't got the wisdom others may have, I will always remember something my grandad once said to me:

Life is the hardest game of football you will ever play. It plays the best formation you will ever see. The strikers attack you at your weakness, find your vulnerabilities but over time you'll learn to brush this off and deal with it. The midfield will work constantly to disrupt your plans, it won't stop until it's successfully taken away the ball and stopped your chances of scoring that goal; the way past is to never stop and never dwell on the things that knock you back because you will get knocked back in your lifetime, more than once. And the final, but the hardest, part of life is beating the defense. The defense is your own weaknesses, your own vices. How you react to what happens in the midfield determines whether or not you'll beat the defense and get that goal you wanted since the moment the ball was given to you. You can win the game, I did.

It was said at a tough time in my life and although this may seem a little OTT to your original post, I pass this on whenever I can because it's the truest thing anyone has ever said to me and I guess now is a decent time to say it on TSR.

On a brighter note you had a lucky escape. The South of England has poor beer and dislikes curry and chips, however that is possible, so I suggest going North. Every cloud and all that. :wink:

Yep - once in a while, you get Steve Keaned.
Original post by Lumos
This thread.. is so bitter... wow...
Oxford is not the be all and end all... consider it a blessing in disguise, I know a lot of people who've said that if they knew how intense it was going to be, they wouldn't have applied there.
If you didn't get in, it's because it wouldn't have suited you. They know who can deal with the kind of pressure of workload and have crazy amounts of determination to prevail through what are arguably the most intensive degrees in the world, and if they think you would struggle with it and don't give you an offer they are doing you a favour.

Oxford isn't for everyone. The sooner we stop worshipping it as the singular definition of intelligence, the better.

But, it isn't a blessing in disguise. And Oxford didn't do her a favor. And the mantra about 'if I knew the intensity I wouldn't have applied' is merely a defense mechanism for their failure. And also, the workload isn't as intense as you're making it out to be. It can be managed by those who have the aptitude for the subject. The fact that Oxford isn't for you, isn't a good thing. It's the same way that the IMO isn't for everyone but that doesn't mean it's a good thing it isn't for you. The fact that she didn't get a interview says one of the following wasn't up to high-standard her PS, academics and/or aptitude tests (if any). I don't understand why people just can't accept failure and leave it at that. Why do they always have to come up with such bull**** reasons? Oh Goldman sachs sucks anyway, UBS is just as good. Oh Field medals isn't even all that, Wolf Prize is just as good. Stop trying to rationalize and comfort yourselves and merely accept your failure. Realize why you failed, accept your situation and move on and strive to succeed next time.
Original post by GStevens
I think it's quite a nice letter, sympathetic.
I particularly like the way it mentions that they punted your application round all the colleges but still no one wanted you. That has to sting.

It did.
Original post by bluemax
I cried for an hour when i got my Cambridge rejection. Two years down the line, i hardly care about fact anymore......

Its only because i plan to reapply there for postgraduate :biggrin: i guess some scars never heal.......

LMAO .
Original post by Annoying-Mouse
The fact that she didn't get a interview says one of the following wasn't up to high-standard her PS, academics and/or aptitude tests (if any).

It was..........my grades were higher than the international qualifications for canadian students. No aptitude tests; just an essay, which was the highest in my class. The fact that my essay mark was higher than ..........( insert name), whose school average is near and close to perfect was proof that it was a high standard essay. My average is well in the upper 90s and the lowest average is 85. It really all just comes down to luck.....i spent about 3 months writing my PS. Made sure to fous on one subject at a time...............hope it explains my situation.
I did cry a bit when I got my Oxford rejection 2 years ago, really thought that Oxford was THE place.
You won't even remember about it after you get an offer and go to uni.

I am still considering applying for masters at Oxford, but I won't be upset if they reject me. C'est la vie, you know.
Original post by Bella-Christin
It was..........my grades were higher than the international qualifications for canadian students. No aptitude tests; just an essay, which was the highest in my class. The fact that my essay mark was higher than ..........( insert name), whose school average is near and close to perfect was proof that it was a high standard essay. My average is well in the upper 90s and the lowest average is 85. It really all just comes down to luck.....i spent about 3 months writing my PS. Made sure to fous on one subject at a time...............hope it explains my situation.

But, it doesn't come down to luck. Were you scoring all 90-5%+ in the last two years of high school? The other international applicants must of had a much higher score than yours then.
Original post by tommm
Yep - once in a while, you get Steve Keaned.

Love it.

I can't believe the whole situation with his contract change. Way to get us angrier, Venky's.

Only thing is I can't possibly see a way in which Kean is leaving now. Protesting is doing nothing because they are simply ignoring it. The club was doomed the moment John Williams left, he was our last remaining hope.

Shame.
I really hope to get an offer from my other choices (UCL,LSE,Durham) before christmas....else I better start to prep for reapplication!

It's (being at Oxford, walking through the pebbled floors, down the lanes, speaking to the people) like a first love...guess it wouldn't go away.

:colondollar:
Reply 70
Original post by Blackburn_Allen
Love it.

I can't believe the whole situation with his contract change. Way to get us angrier, Venky's.

Only thing is I can't possibly see a way in which Kean is leaving now. Protesting is doing nothing because they are simply ignoring it. The club was doomed the moment John Williams left, he was our last remaining hope.

Shame.

</3
And also, the workload isn't as intense as you're making it out to be. It can be managed by those who have the aptitude for the subject.

Oh really? And your source of authority is? My point wasn't that the workload was unmanagable - you just need to work hard. Really hard. In and out of term.

I think it's very presumptuous to assume that every single person who has struggled with Oxford's workload at some point in time lacks aptitude for their subject (that would include at least 80% of all students). The workload isn't consistent across weeks (I had a particularly terrible week involving two tutes and one class this term, for instance), and neither are the extra-curricular commitments. We're humans, not amazingly intelligent automatons who can work 24/7.
Original post by IlexBlue
Pretentious a**holes. :colonhash:

but they were clearly dead right...
Original post by Bella-Christin
This is a counter part thread for oxford applications. Now, know that this is not the end of the world. Feel free to vent on the thread, or help others feel better. Post your rejection letter; when you got it, and how you feel ( some might be depressed, so make sure you think about your self then others). Then post acceptance to other universities or interview at others.

Here is mine :mad::cry::headhurts: - feelings after reading my reject letter.

Dear Candidate

Thank you for applying to Oxford. I am writing to let you know that the tutors here have had an opportunity to consider your application and that we have now completed the first stages of our selection procedures.

Unfortunately, in view of the overall competition for places this year, and after consultation with other colleges, I am sorry to tell you that we shall not be able to offer you a place at Oxford and that your application is no longer under consideration by any of the colleges here.

The College will be contacting your UCAS referee.............................................................................................................................................................I do realise how disappointing this will be for you and I am sorry not to have better news regarding your application here. I hope, however, that you will be successful in gaining admission to one of the other universities to which you have applied.

Yours sincerely,

Tutor for Admissions

--
Reply 75
Original post by mishieru07
Oh really? And your source of authority is? My point wasn't that the workload was unmanagable - you just need to work hard. Really hard. In and out of term.

I think it's very presumptuous to assume that every single person who has struggled with Oxford's workload at some point in time lacks aptitude for their subject (that would include at least 80% of all students). The workload isn't consistent across weeks (I had a particularly terrible week involving two tutes and one class this term, for instance), and neither are the extra-curricular commitments. We're humans, not amazingly intelligent automatons who can work 24/7.

Agree with this. Of course most of us do end up managing the workload, but that doesn't mean it isn't massively intense, especially if you have any sort of extra curricular/welfare/social commitments. If this person actually is a current or former Oxford student (and therefore has the authority to make claims about the intensity of the workload), then they're either more driven and/or talented than the average Oxford student or had/have little to no life outside work...
Reply 76
How are we all handling straight up rejection? :frown:
Reply 77
Original post by mishieru07

You're really saying that every single Oxford student works 'really hard in and out of term'?!

Original post by EM(Lin)
Agree with this. Of course most of us do end up managing the workload, but that doesn't mean it isn't massively intense, especially if you have any sort of extra curricular/welfare/social commitments. If this person actually is a current or former Oxford student (and therefore has the authority to make claims about the intensity of the workload), then they're either more driven and/or talented than the average Oxford student or had/have little to no life outside work...

Disagree with this! I think most students go through busy periods, occasionally put in a all-nighter, but i see the majority of people enjoying themselves and generally not doing much most nights. A substantial minority regularly go out, get extremely drunk and then write off the subsequent day. Very few people are noticeably stressed except in the run up to finals/week before other exams.

I don't think "massively intense" are the right words at all :s-smilie: 'Busy', maybe.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Computerised

That's a bit rude, but i guess it's the truth.
But, it doesn't come down to luck. Were you scoring all 90-5%+ in the last two years of high school? The other international applicants must of had a much higher score than yours then.

I worked my ass off since grade 8, when i was thinking of appyling to columbia in NYU. I've always maintained my grades since then, except 2nd semester when i got a 89 in 2 subjects. My social life : 20% during school, except holidays, summer, and whenever time permitted. During those times too, i still read and worked hard on summer readings and ISU's , etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending