The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Which is the best college and why?

I am looking to make Lancaster my firm and have only really heard from people at Furness College! (which does sound lovely by the way :biggrin:)

Just wondering what the others are like? I am looking of course on the website, but it's nice to hear from people who are actually there :smile:

Thank you!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
FURNEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!

In my opinion though it really does not matter. I have friends in all of the colleges. It really depends on what sort of accommodation you want and the location.
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Not Cartmel.
Reply 3
Original post by RabbitCFH

Original post by RabbitCFH
Not Cartmel.

aha why not Cartmel??
Reply 4
Original post by PlopNofear

Original post by PlopNofear
FURNEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!

In my opinion though it really does not matter. I have friends in all of the colleges. It really depends on what sort of accommodation you want and the location.

aha lots of love for Furness! :P

I suppose, just wondering if certain colleges are more known for sport/music or something like that?
Reply 5
Original post by lampshade1
aha lots of love for Furness! :P

I suppose, just wondering if certain colleges are more known for sport/music or something like that?

I'm in Fylde and it's very sporty, but of course that's just on an inter-college level. College really doesn't matter at university level.

Realistically, with something like music it's not going to matter what college you're in. If I were you I would base the college on what type of accomodation you'd like, and go from there. In all the colleges there will be a good cross-section of people for you to mix with and you are in no way limited to mixing with your college alone. Realistically, all prospective freshers get is a vague representation of each college so I disagree with the definitive view that certain types of people go to 'X' college, and other types of people go to 'Y' college and that it's as boundary specific as that.

Wherever you go, you'll love it, you'll make it your home, and you'll be happy.
Reply 6
Original post by aliphatic

Original post by aliphatic
I'm in Fylde and it's very sporty, but of course that's just on an inter-college level. College really doesn't matter at university level.

Realistically, with something like music it's not going to matter what college you're in. If I were you I would base the college on what type of accomodation you'd like, and go from there. In all the colleges there will be a good cross-section of people for you to mix with and you are in no way limited to mixing with your college alone. Realistically, all prospective freshers get is a vague representation of each college so I disagree with the definitive view that certain types of people go to 'X' college, and other types of people go to 'Y' college and that it's as boundary specific as that.

Wherever you go, you'll love it, you'll make it your home, and you'll be happy.

aww that's good to hear! :smile:
as I wouldn't say I fit into one thing, like being more music/more sporty :')
Original post by lampshade1
aha why not Cartmel??

Chances that some of your flatmates will spend most of their time in their rooms are quite high. :P

Accommodation is good but it's really expensive, and it's far away from the main campus, which is annoying if you have to walk all the way to County for a 10 am. And our bar is crap.
Reply 8
Whichever college you're in will be 'the best'.

The only real way your college affects you is your choice of accommodation.
Reply 9
Probably Bowland (ignoring the shabby accommodation everywhere except Slaidburn) - I probably have more friends in Bowland than any other college (including my own, which is Grizedale)
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurneeeeeeeeeesssssssss! College spirit!

But honestly, all my friends are in County. :smile: I love the townhouses in County, they're amazing!
I think Furness is the drinking college hahaha.
Reply 11
Bowland!! Right in the middle of everything! Just dont live in ash house...
Reply 12
where are all these colleges :/ :/ :/
Reply 13
Original post by chicarito
where are all these colleges :/ :/ :/

County is at one end of the uni, near to Bowland.
Bowland is right in the middle where most of the lecture theatres and seminar rooms are.
Furness (I think) is around the edge of campus? Not far from Bowland and Fylde? Fylde is kind of central but not too much so.
Next along the spine is Grizedale which is on the edge of Main Campus, right next to the LUSU Central shop.
Next to Grizedale is Pendle College, half of Pendle is on the edge of Main Campus and half is on South-west Campus.
Graduate, Lonsdale and Cartmel are also on South-west Campus, with Cartmel being the furthest away.

Even still it only takes 15-20 minutes to walk from Cartmel to Bowland lecture theatres.
Reply 14
wheres bowloand, county furness griezedale pendle college
Reply 15
wheres bowloand, county furness griezedale pendle college

I have just replied but incase it wasn't clear:

County and Bowland are near to the lecture theatres in the centre of campus. Grizedale and Pendle are next to each other, on the edge of main campus, near south-west campus.
I'm pretty certain there is a map of them on the lancaster website
Reply 16
in the UK, wehere is count and bowland etc....
Reply 17
in the UK, wehere is count and bowland etc....

around lancaster

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lancaster_University#Colleges

gives a good overview!
As mentioned:
All the colleges take their names from places around the north west of England. :smile:

On campus -
Cartmel, Lonsdale and Graduate make up the bulk of south west campus. Pendle ensuite is also on this off-shoot.
Pendle standard, Grizedale and Fylde are on the south spine, around the George Fox building.
Furness is very central, next to the hub and Alex Sq, at the very beginning of south spine.
Bowland is also very central, on the other side of Alex Sq, at the beginning of north spine.
County is quite a large college and is positioned along and at the end of north spine.
Reply 19
Original post by Manitude

Original post by Manitude
Probably Bowland (ignoring the shabby accommodation everywhere except Slaidburn) - I probably have more friends in Bowland than any other college (including my own, which is Grizedale)

How 'shabby' are we talking? :P as I've seen some pretty horrible accomodation...but it looked all fairly nice if not amazing at Lancaster !

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending