Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    A property of mine got stolen in the locker room at M&S on the 2nd of working. I have completed 16hours of training and worked since 12hours. I am unhappy the way the situation of the incident was dealt with, and it keeps getting passed on. Its not that I cant replace it but the trust is gone. Even though I asked for an extra locker, I was told its safe to leave it in the locker room and hanging it up. Im not enjoying it, and also its quite a distance to travel, for this much stress. And decided Id rather focus on my A levels.

My question is, I haven't signed the contract as it has just come through the post. Do I sign it or not. Also will I get paid for the 32 hours that I will have completed? And what are the procedures of leaving?

*Its a Christmas temp so I get paid weekly.

Thanks.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    The leaving procedures will be covered in the contract - read it. You should be paid, but if you don't give enough notice they might make it awkward.

ReputationRep:
    I would treat it as a seperate incident. If you quit now you won't get another job with them as you will cause them a lot of inconvenience, and with no contract I don't think they are legally obliged to pay you (let alone for the training, which will have cost them money!)

If you still want to quit, do what Juno says and look up the leaving procedures (not in the contract, as that is void if unsigned). tbh it's a bit odd they didn't make you sign it immediately before working, for this very reason, and if it wasn't a big company like M&S I would be suspicious.

tl;dr: I think you can just walk out, but that they don't have to pay you (they may though, but they won't be happy).

ReputationRep:
    As others have said, check your contract / employee handbook.

However, they will have to pay you minimum wage for the hours worked, although this will only be £3.68 if you are aged 16/17.

If you are confused, however, the best bet is to go along and speak to your manager. If M&S is anything like the last large chain I worked for, there was a very high percentage of people who didn't last the first two weeks.

ReputationRep:
    Well, Im speaking to the manager on Tuesday. My notice period is nil as I have been working for less than 4 weeks. However do I sign the contract and hand it in the day I quit :/ ?

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zabukar)
    Well, Im speaking to the manager on Tuesday. My notice period is nil as I have been working for less than 4 weeks. However do I sign the contract and hand it in the day I quit :/ ?
    In that case there's no issue - you have complied with all the obligations that they have given you, and they have to pay you your previously agreed wages.

If management want you to sign the contract, and there's nothing in there that could cause you problems (I doubt there will be, but read it thoroughly), then just sign it.

Simples

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Octohedral)
    I would treat it as a seperate incident. If you quit now you won't get another job with them as you will cause them a lot of inconvenience, and with no contract I don't think they are legally obliged to pay you (let alone for the training, which will have cost them money!)

If you still want to quit, do what Juno says and look up the leaving procedures (not in the contract, as that is void if unsigned). tbh it's a bit odd they didn't make you sign it immediately before working, for this very reason, and if it wasn't a big company like M&S I would be suspicious.

tl;dr: I think you can just walk out, but that they don't have to pay you (they may though, but they won't be happy).
    I would have said it means you can be dismissed without any bother if you're no good in the first couple of weeks, but then most contracts have the "We can sack you in the first x months if it's not working out" bit.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I handed in my resignation yesterday. Surprise surprise I get a phone call this morning, about the property that was stolen. Now they want to compensate me after I handed it and have asked me to think about it again and offering me other alternatives for me to stay. Even though I don't want to, she told me to think about it and let me know tomorrow :/ . What the nicest way possible, saying that you would want to leave ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zabukar)
    Well, I handed in my resignation yesterday. Surprise surprise I get a phone call this morning, about the property that was stolen. Now they want to compensate me after I handed it and have asked me to think about it again and offering me other alternatives for me to stay. Even though I don't want to, she told me to think about it and let me know tomorrow :/ . What the nicest way possible, saying that you would want to leave ?
    Probably cause they have to find someone at short notice they want you to stay just say its too far away from where you live and you would rather concentrate on your a-levels.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.