Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hello

ReputationRep:
    Something similar happened to me in Argos, went to by the movie 21 DVD which is a 12....I was 16 at the time....she had the cheek to ask a colleague if i looked over 12........so stupid :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dellprinter)
    I went into argos to buy battlefield 3 which is a 16+ rated game, now I am 17 and brought id but when I went to place the order in the shop she asked if I was 21, which I thought was quite dumb as I clearly don’t look like im 21 (more like 15-16 range), I said no and then she said I couldn’t buy it. I told her it was a 16, then she asked if was 18 which I said no, and she said I have to be a min age of 18 to buy it! WTF! I told her it was a 16, I got so pissed off!!
    Can they do this? So despite being over 16 I cant buy that game, ive bought many games which were 15+ when I was 16 with no problem. Anyway I just went to Comet, where they sold me battlefield 3 without any problems.
    Why is argos so difficult!!!
    Nobody is going to take a risk like that when getting it wrong can lead to disciplinary action. Always, always carry ID.

Edit: Yo, to the people negging me; he didn't mention that he had brought ID at the time of this post. He edited that in several hours later.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Some places have a "think 21! policy, so it sounds as though this assistant got confused. The idea is to ID anyone who looks under 21 as it's easy for people to look a bit older but not that much older.

Email the customer service address on the website if they have one, or phone them.

ReputationRep:
    It's not illegal for them to refuse the sale, but I doubt it's their policy to do that. It might have been a mistake in their computer system, probably had it marked as an 18. You could send Argos an email of complaint and ask for an explanation.

ReputationRep:
    Argos roughly translated in Greek means *******s.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neurodude)
    Nobody is going to take a risk like that when getting it wrong can lead to disciplinary action. Always, always carry ID.
    (Original post by Psyk)
    It's not illegal for them to refuse the sale, but I doubt it's their policy to do that. It might have been a mistake in their computer system, probably had it marked as an 18. You could send Argos an email of complaint and ask for an explanation.
    (Original post by Dmon1Unlimited)
    This is like the same with alcohol, even if youre old enough, if they think your younger, they wont let you purchase it unless you have ID. Bring your ID next time, and they should let you buy the game...
    I HAD ID, she just didnt ask to see it, she knew it was a 16. She first asked if I was over 21, then I told her no, she said I have to be at least 21, then I told her the game was a 16 and I was 17, she knew the game was a 16, but then said I have to be a min of 18.
    also the worker was about 40 seemed like shed been there a long time so it wasnt because she didnt know the rules
    never goin argos again

ReputationRep:
    if they do not accept you even if you bring correct id, the only way you miss out is they waste a few minutes of your time

meanwhile they miss out on your business for this moment, and possibly future business too - who loses out more? hm ;D

ReputationRep:
    I HAD ID, she just didnt ask to see it, she knew it was a 16. She first asked if I was over 21, then I told her no, she said I have to be at least 21, then I told her the game was a 16 and I was 17, she knew the game was a 16, but then said I have to be a min of 18.
    also the worker was about 40 seemed like shed been there a long time so it wasnt because she didnt know the rules
    never goin argos again
    Seems like she didn't understand that it was rated 16. It happens.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NOBODY MOVE!)
    if they do not accept you even if you bring correct id, the only way you miss out is they waste a few minutes of your time

meanwhile they miss out on your business for this moment, and possibly future business too - who loses out more? hm ;D
    i wasted like an hour, i got a bus there and have to face the freezing weather, could have caught a cold

ReputationRep:
    never goin argos again
    Normally age restrictions show up on their till. If it flashed up "18", she's probably going to go by that rather what it says on the box, or what a customer has told her.

ReputationRep:
    i wasted like an hour, i got a bus there and have to face the freezing weather, could have caught a cold
    Ring up the customer service dept and give the workers name. This should at least avoid this from happening to other people.

They're under no legal obligation to sell you the game even if you are the correct age though.

you can't catch a cold from just being in the cold. however, you could have indeed caught a cold- as public transport is pretty much a disease pit.

ReputationRep:
    never goin argos again
    like i said it could be other reasons...

instead of going on TSR about it, you could have just called for the manager to come out, when she rejected you... doesnt that make more sense?
    ive been to argos plenty of times never had that problem

ReputationRep:
    even more reason to spread the word of mean behaviours of argos staff then :evil:

ReputationRep:
    its done now,
    so what are your view of bff3 online, is it good? I fear it may not be as fast paced as mw2 which I loved online

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheGreatest21)
    Argos roughly translated in Greek means *******s.
    (Original post by NOBODY MOVE!)
    even more reason to spread the word of mean behaviours of argos staff then :evil:
    tbh unless you've worked there you have no idea what *******s some of the CUSTOMERS are. One guy got really offended when I asked for ID for an 18 game (we had to ID up one band - it's a 12, ID for 15. It's a 15, ID for 18 etc.) "ARE YOU SERIOUS?" kinda deal. Looked at his ID. He was 18. Wow, sorry mate you're clearly far older than necessary. Also a guy threatening to get his lawyers on me for not returning an iPod Shuffle which he'd already opened, which he was warned about about 3942034 times when he bought it. Also the woman complaining that something in the nationwide catalogue was out of stock. Sorry, we should have reprinted the entire stock when that singular item went out of stock in one singular shop, innit.

ETA: I still loved my job.

Basically OP, the woman was probably a Christmas temp (yeah, they do have older ones) who misunderstood the ID policy. Either that or it came up on the system wrong as an 18, which is why she mentioned 21.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe she didn't know 16 came before 17?

Just get it from another store. Argos' loss in profit, not your issue.

ReputationRep:
    Argos? For games?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by burgergetsbored)
    so you got annoyed because argos ID'd you and you didn't have any ID....
    They clearly wrote that they had ID, at least twice. Why are people so inept at reading?

Though as others have said, it was clearly just a mistake and not nationwide Argos policy. Perhaps the OP should be playing some more peaceful games until they can get over their obvious anger issues...

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: December 1, 2011
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.