Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, I've got my A-level exams in January 2012.
    I've got C1 C2 S1 FP1
    My concentration is getting really bad. Can you guys give me some tips on how I can concentrate for longer periods?
    Also how did you revise to get high grades for Maths?

ReputationRep:
    Re the concentration ... you have to want to ... set yourself a fixed time for tidy with a specific reward at the end ... gradually extend the fixed time that you set

Past Paper, Mark, look for misconceptions, revise, repeat

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wired_In)
    Hey guys, I've got my A-level exams in January 2012.
    I've got C1 C2 S1 FP1
    My concentration is getting really bad. Can you guys give me some tips on how I can concentrate for longer periods?
    Also how did you revise to get high grades for Maths?
    When you do revision for Maths past papers are your best friend. They use the same type of questions year after year. You can find them on exam board websites.
    Make sure you spend time on topics you don't understand before attempting the exam questions on them. Be prepared to put hours into trying to get your head round any difficult concepts
    Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TenOfThem)
    Re the concentration ... you have to want to ... set yourself a fixed time for tidy with a specific reward at the end ... gradually extend the fixed time that you set

Past Paper, Mark, look for misconceptions, revise, repeat
    Thanks! How did you reward yourself?

ReputationRep:
    You need to think of your own rewards

It might be food
    It might be 15mins on the X-Box
    It might be an episode of your favourite TV show
    It might be a ride on your bike

etc etc etc

ReputationRep:
    I've learn that concentrating is a skill, that you get better at, once I started taking my studies seriously (typically after I hit a low point - failing my first year at uni), it was literally painful for me to get my brain in gear for concentration, but now, after so much concentration "experience" I can almost relax at the same time,

and as TenOfThem said, the most imporant part is wanting to, which I'm guessing you do want to else you wouldn't have posted this thread

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr Ben)
    I've learn that concentrating is a skill, that you get better at, once I started taking my studies seriously (typically after I hit a low point - failing my first year at uni), it was literally painful for me to get my brain in gear for concentration, but now, after so much concentration "experience" I can almost relax at the same time,

and as TenOfThem said, the most imporant part is wanting to, which I'm guessing you do want to else you wouldn't have posted this thread
    My main problem is getting distracted at home. I can't work :'(
    I've got some aims I want to achieve today so I'm going to make sure I achieve them

ReputationRep:
    Think about it this way, you'd like to look back and say "Hey, I tried my best and worked my ass off!" and if you don't then you'll regret it : P think about the advantages in the future for the rest of your life : D that will most definitely motivate you.

Do this, do a past paper, any mistakes EVEN IF IT'S a 1 marker, Look where you went wrong, and revise.. practise practise, and when you've practise practise again, do another past paper, highlight errors, and repeat ! Set an amount of time, i.e. 1 past paper and revision after it, and reward yourself, maybe like something like watch a bit of TV or play a game for 30 mins or so !

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 27, 2011

University open days

• University of East Anglia (UEA)
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Secondary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Thu, 18 Oct '18
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Equations

Best calculators for A level Maths

Tips on which model to get

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.