The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Will sorely be missed. RIP
Reply 81
R.I.P

I can't believe he would commit suicide there must be an inquiry into this.
You do wonder if things like the pressure to deliver as a manager may have been too overwhelming. You don't know what personal issues some people have had in their past that haunt them and provide a fear of failure that becomes too much.

Came as a massive shock to comprehend.
Devastated. Idolised him growing up.

RIP Gary Speed
whaaaat?!

this is sad news, he was one of the relatively few people in football who deserved respect.
Absolutely shocked and saddened when I heard the news earlier. I've grown up on the Premier League era of football, watching him playing against us - putting in some really strong performances against us as well in fact. First player to reach 500 Carling Premiership appearances and by all accounts a true professional and a genuine man. The majority of us reds I've spoken to this afternoon are devastated by the news; and I'm sure we will pay our own tribute this Wednesday night at Old Trafford. RIP Gary Speed (1969-2011).
Reply 86
Im gutted, words cannot describe how numb i feel... Wales were finally progressing, the young players adored Gary and he was genuinely passionate about Welsh football.

RIP :frown:
wow, just saw on bbc, thought i had misread, had to read it a few times, shocked :frown: RIP

was watching football focus just yesterday now hes gone..

suicide? :s-smilie:
(edited 12 years ago)
very sad news :{
unexpected too - not only did he look healthy + well when i watch him on football focus yesterday afternoon (when waiting for bbc's formula1 qualifying coverage), listening to how he was looking forward for wales doing well for 2014 worldcup qualification campaign. sad times.
Reply 89
RIP Gary Speed, such a true professional, an example of what a footballer should be like.

I'm saddened to hear that it's suicide, you can't help but think what could have been wrong to drive him to do such a thing.
Mental issues are often ill-reported and portrayed in the wrong manner, they can truly appear at any point in anyone's lives.
Personal issues are also sensitive, you'd pray that nothing was going on in his personal life to drive him to do such a thing.
Whatever the case may be, whatever drove him to do this, he will be missed heavily.
Reply 90
I hate it when something as tragic as this reminds us that it's just a game. :/ RIP Gary. :frown:
What the hell, he was on Football Focus yestday. So he goes home from the show and kills himself??
He had a wife and kids but committed suicide... I don't understand, but you never know what's going on in people's personal lives.
(edited 12 years ago)
"Not everyone we get to meet is quite what they seem, Speedo was exactly the guy he appeared to be. Just the saddest loss. And i guess that is the source of the shock for those privileged to count him a friend. He just seemed so well-balanced and sorted. Lost." - Clive Tyldesley, ITV

"Gary Speed was a gentleman, his career could've only gone strength to strength, his outlook was modern, brave.He will be greatly missed. RIP" - Guillem Balague, Sky Sports

"I am totally devastated, Gary Speed was one of the nicest men in football and someone I am honoured to call a team-mate and friend. Words cannot begin to describe how sad I feel at hearing this awful news. It goes without saying my thoughts are with his family at this tremendously sad time." - Ryan Giggs, Manchester United and Wales

"It’s absolutely devastating, Our careers crossed paths often and I played against him many times. He was a fantastic professional, a winner with a great reputation. We sometimes think of football being important, but it’s not." - Gary Neville, Sky Sports
This is such a surreal feeling. I'm quite numb, actually.

One lone pair of clapping hands quickly becomes a thousand pair of clapping hands... Hard to hold back the tears.

Thoughts go to his family more than anyone else.
(edited 12 years ago)
I was shocked when i heard the new. Still am now !
Shocking news. On football focus yesterday reminscing about his old days and now this. You just never know what's going through somebodies head.
Reply 96
Unbelievable, RIP.
Reply 97
There are reports of photographers camped outside Gary Speed’s house waiting for ‘reaction shots’. It’s depressingly predictable to see just how little the British media have learned from what’s being discussed at the Leveson inquiry at the moment.

RIP Gary Speed.
RIP Gary Speed.
Just goes to show that no matter how happy a person may seem on the outside, it can be a completely different story for them inside.
Such a travesty, RIP Gary Speed.

Latest