Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acaila)
    So if you refuse them entry, they will definitely come back with a warrant?
    Never happens. If you want a bit of evidence to this effect, ask any police officer you know if they've ever served a warrant - many serve hundreds of them, but I've never met one who could say they did it under the Wireless Telegraphy Act... or sorry, the Communications Act now, isn't it...

They need to have reasonable suspicion that you are using a TV to get a warrant. Telling them to bugger off does not raise any suspicion whatsoever that you are a criminal.

Unless you are a criminal, thankfully no one can violate your home. This isn't bloody North Korea... yet.

(Original post by alyc)
    Just out of interest if you do have a tv, can you not let them in, then whilst they're waiting for the warrant, hide or get rid of your tv and so when they do come back, you don't have it...(:confused: not honest i know but...just curious because I know lots of students who don't pay the license...)
    Again, never happens, but in the hypothetical situation that it did (they'd make multiple visits, but you'd never actually know if they were applying for a warrant unless they told you) I'd simply disconnect the TV and put it in a cupboard, telling them that I didn't use it; or else I'd cut the ariel cable or whatever and plug it into my PS2 or DVD player and tell them that I didn't use it for watching broadcast television. Either way, they then can't prosecute.

The only people that get caught by this lot are those ignorant of their own rights and those who are too nice for their own good. It's blatent abuse.

ReputationRep:
    It sounds scary!...so is it common to not have a tv?...I don't think I could go without my TV for that long!

ReputationRep:
    ugh. The TV licensing people have really annoyed me since I've been at Uni. They send these letters round to every single room (where I am anyway) without even bothering to check whether you have a license or not. We got told to throw them away. I have a TV and a TV license and every term I get sent a letter telling me that my address is not licensed and they might be sending someone round :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: I don't care what they say -- they definitely unfairly target students. They were happy enough to take my money -- why can't they leave me alone :mad: :mad: :mad: rant over.:hmpf:

ReputationRep:
    Me and my housemates have had many letters saying televisions have been "detected" in our street and they were going to do checks of every single house. They still haven't.

If the TV license man comes round and you do have a telly but no license just eat your telly like Vyvyan in The Young Ones.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by splatblob)
    ugh. The TV licensing people have really annoyed me since I've been at Uni. They send these letters round to every single room (where I am anyway) without even bothering to check whether you have a license or not. We got told to throw them away. I have a TV and a TV license and every term I get sent a letter telling me that my address is not licensed and they might be sending someone round :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: I don't care what they say -- they definitely unfairly target students. They were happy enough to take my money -- why can't they leave me alone :mad: :mad: :mad: rant over.:hmpf:
    Does it really put you out that much to throw some junkmail in the bin? I get ***** in my postbox every morning.

(Original post by CheesyBeans)
    Me and my housemates have had many letters saying televisions have been "detected" in our street and they were going to do checks of every single house. They still haven't.
    I wonder how they did that...

... peering through windows or looking at their list and realising people had licences in that street...

It's funny, I was outside the TV Licensing HQ yesterday, and my Complete B.S. Dectector was bleeping loudly... God knows what goes on in there.

If the TV license man comes round and you do have a telly but no license just eat your telly like Vyvyan in The Young Ones.
    Classic :yy:

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.