Turn on thread page Beta

Come dine with me- an observation watch

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone noticed how those who decide to have traditional English type of menus always lose. I don't think I've come across any that has won.

Doesn't that say something about English food?

ReputationRep:
    No, it says something about people not being able to cook english food well. People always forget the small details.

Largely as well, it's the people who cook "everyday food" not just english food, they lose for lack of creativity and effort.

Another British culture is crap thread....

ReputationRep:
    I've watched it once. But I just don't understand when it comes to rating why they just don't rate them as 1, as the person would then have a low overall score.

ReputationRep:
    People still watch it?

ReputationRep:
    Who cares? I just watch it for the sarcastic commentary

ReputationRep:
    It's seems more like the person who is most likeable usually wins - I think it's not all about the food!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Besakt)
    I've watched it once. But I just don't understand when it comes to rating why they just don't rate them as 1, as the person would then have a low overall score.
    The people in question will look like a **** on TV - especially when you have to keep up appearances on the dinner table by saying it's all good.

ReputationRep:
    Don't really watch it anymore, but I think the whole 'British food is crap' thing isn't true and is mostly that a lot of people cook it badly (eg - plain overcooked meat and veg), and British food has a bad reputation possibly remnant of the strict rationing that was enforced during and after WWII? I'd imagine there were very few flavourings and good quality ingredients to use.

Anyway, 'British' food done well can be fantastic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehforum)
    The people in question will look like a **** on TV - especially when you have to keep up appearances on the dinner table by saying it's all good.
    Would you really care for a guaranteed £1k though? Granted I'd feel bad, but it's £1k!

ReputationRep:
    This woman tried to do that once but it was blatantly obvious and they made her change her scores. She still maintained that she genuinely thought everyone deserved like 2-3 marks. But then she changed one of the scores and that other guy won.

I think some people do give lower scores than others though.

ReputationRep:
    I hadn't thought about it before. Come to think of it, earlier this year I had the most revolting dinner that had been cooked by my housemate for her birthday. I think it was boiled chicken and steamed cabbage :puke:. She's very patriotic and I think it was English themed. I wish I hadn't forced myself to eat it.

ReputationRep:
    Interesting. People on come dine with me generally seem to cook good food so if those who are flaunting Englishness on national television are failing then who actually knows how to cook good English food? If they are falling then there's no hope. Oh yes they do tend to be patriotic. I'm guessing that it's probably quite bland

(Original post by Megaross)
    No, it says something about people not being able to cook english food well. People always forget the small details.

Largely as well, it's the people who cook "everyday food" not just english food, they lose for lack of creativity and effort.

(Original post by LostRiots)
    Don't really watch it anymore, but I think the whole 'British food is crap' thing isn't true and is mostly that a lot of people cook it badly (eg - plain overcooked meat and veg), and British food has a bad reputation possibly remnant of the strict rationing that was enforced during and after WWII? I'd imagine there were very few flavourings and good quality ingredients to use.

Anyway, 'British' food done well can be fantastic.

ReputationRep:
    A contestant did that once and was made to vote again more fairly for everyone in the final show!

...I've seen way too many episodes of this show

ReputationRep:
    Speaking of CDWM observations, has there ever been a week where someone [i]didn't[i] do chicken wrapped in parma ham?

ReputationRep:
    I still don't know where this notion that all food has to be spicy/overly sweet/savoury came from.

I genuinely don't see a problem with plainer foods, not everything has to be triple-mega-12spices-flavourful. I genuinely prefer the KISS method with food. The more complex it gets the easier it is to screw up.

Just cook nice, medium flavour food that everyone can like (Don't cook a jalapeno-volcano-curry and act stunned when some people don't like it) and don't act like an arse. Problem solved.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fruli)
    Interesting. People on come dine with me generally seem to cook good food so if those who are flaunting Englishness on national television are failing then who actually knows how to cook good English food? If they are falling then there's no hope. Oh yes they do tend to be patriotic. I'm guessing that it's probably quite bland
    You do realise people don't get picked for cooking ability, it's who will create the most entertainment.

Most english people don't get enough feedback on their food to know where they're going wrong (always cooking for family/ people trying to be polite), I ask people to **** mine off so I can improve.

One of the biggest mistakes people make, underseasoning.
    Second is poor prep.
    Third is timing, not just in serving but not letting flavours develop fully in a cooking process (adding stock to early to a sauce is a classic example)

British food can be good but people tend to do a lot wrong without realising it.

I've actually started writing a book on where most people go wrong with everyday cooking, how to bring it up closer to restaurant standard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fruli)
    Has anyone noticed how those who decide to have traditional English type of menus always lose. I don't think I've come across any that has won.

Doesn't that say something about English food?
    English should be replaced with African or Caribbean. Anyway its peoples preference.

ReputationRep:
    chances are you do english food and the other people are the "I NEED SPICE" kind of people...
    which would be my worst nightmare... spice is not my friend it makes my lips sore lol

i also think the fact the English food you see on there is always done on the cheap/cooked badly (they all ask for rare and get well done kinda thing)/ poor choices... they cook weird things that noone really wants to eat because it just sounds odd...

my aunty made the best steak and ale pie yest was yummy! but then if she was on there how many, i dont like ale, i dont like steak, the pastry wasnt brown enough, she didnt have good presentation... would there have been...
    x

(Original post by babygirl110)
    I think it was boiled chicken and steamed cabbage :puke:. She's very patriotic and I think it was English themed. I wish I hadn't forced myself to eat it.
    I don't think boiled chicken and cabbage is a traditional English dish. Your friend just sounds like a terrible cook.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.