Turn on thread page Beta

Experience of Warfare: 1854-1929 (Jan2012) watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello everybody hope you're having a nice day. I was just wondering if anyone was doing the January 2012 AS exam on The Experience of Warfare: 1854-1929

• The Boer war,
    • The Crimean War,
    • WWI

Which topics do you think are most likely to come up on the exam? Which topics came up last time?

I'm personally hoping the Boer war comes up, i feel pretty confident about it and the majority of names are fixed into my brain. The least topic i'm looking forward to is WWI as there is so many names/dates to remember, combine that with the knowledge of the other two wars and i feel terrified that it may come up. Crimean war i'm in the middle about and not sure what to think of it.

I think the biggest part i struggle with is remembering the names of stuff that was introduced in the reforms at the end of the war and who introduced them because there are quite a lot of reforms to remember when you put them all together.

So basically i just want to hear your thoughts on this exam, how are you feeling about it? what are you hoping will come up or least come up? What do you think will appear on the exam. Revising techniques and just general discussion about the exam.

I'm personally just reading over the booklets we were given in class over and over again to get all the information fixed into my head. My history lessons are pretty boring because my teacher just goes over the same stuff repeatedly then again i guess that's a good technique.

I actually seem to struggle with the A type questions rather than the B type questions, i find the B type questions pretty straight forward, probably because i have read over the information so many times, on the A questions i just can' figure out what to put and end up not making enough points and i find it hard to relate my points to the provenience.

My teacher has not given us any past papers yet, i don't know if he thinks its to early or something or what, has your teacher given you any?

Sorry if there is another thread on this. Thanks for reading.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xiomn)
    Hello everybody hope you're having a nice day. I was just wondering if anyone was doing the January 2012 AS exam on The Experience of Warfare: 1854-1929

• The Boer war,
    • The Crimean War,
    • WWI

Which topics do you think are most likely to come up on the exam? Which topics came up last time?

I'm personally hoping the Boer war comes up, i feel pretty confident about it and the majority of names are fixed into my brain. The least topic i'm looking forward to is WWI as there is so many names/dates to remember, combine that with the knowledge of the other two wars and i feel terrified that it may come up. Crimean war i'm in the middle about and not sure what to think of it.

I think the biggest part i struggle with is remembering the names of stuff that was introduced in the reforms at the end of the war and who introduced them because there are quite a lot of reforms to remember when you put them all together.

So basically i just want to hear your thoughts on this exam, how are you feeling about it? what are you hoping will come up or least come up? What do you think will appear on the exam. Revising techniques and just general discussion about the exam.

I'm personally just reading over the booklets we were given in class over and over again to get all the information fixed into my head. My history lessons are pretty boring because my teacher just goes over the same stuff repeatedly then again i guess that's a good technique.

I actually seem to struggle with the A type questions rather than the B type questions, i find the B type questions pretty straight forward, probably because i have read over the information so many times, on the A questions i just can' figure out what to put and end up not making enough points and i find it hard to relate my points to the provenience.

My teacher has not given us any past papers yet, i don't know if he thinks its to early or something or what, has your teacher given you any?

Sorry if there is another thread on this. Thanks for reading.
    Hey! I take it you're doing the edexcel exams?

In June the 20 mark was about the charge of light brigade, again! And both of the 40 marks were about the first world war. So perhaps the January exam will have an essay about the Boer war, however, they have used it for a 40 mark for 5 consecutive exams before!

I'm really hoping for Crimean and maybe one about the battle of the Somme, but who knows?

ReputationRep:
    Last summer's paper:

Answer part (a) and then answer EITHER part (b) (i) OR part (b) (ii).
    (a) Study Sources 1, 2 and 3.
    How far do the sources suggest that Captain Nolan was to blame for the disastrous
    charge by the Light Brigade at Balaclava?
    Explain your answer, using the evidence of Sources 1, 2 and 3.
    (20)
    EITHER
    *(b) (i) Use Sources 4, 5 and 6 and your own knowledge.
    Do you agree with the view that there was ‘genuine achievement’ by the British
    army at the Third Battle of Ypres (Passchendaele) (Source 6, line 32)?
    Explain your answer, using Sources 4, 5 and 6 and your own knowledge.
    (40)
    OR
    *(b) (ii) Use Sources 7, 8 and 9 and your own knowledge.
    Do you agree with the view that during the First World War British workers
    patriotically responded to the nation’s needs?
    Explain your answer, using Sources 7, 8 and 9 and your own knowledge.

ReputationRep:
    Jan 2011

How far do Sources 1 and 2 challenge the impression of the Charge of the Light
    Brigade given in Source 3?
    (20)
    EITHER
    *(b) (i) Use Sources 4, 5 and 6 and your own knowledge.
    Do you agree with the view that the Second Boer War resulted in imperialism
    being ‘discredited’ (Source 4, line 20)?
    (40)
    OR
    *(b) (ii) Use Sources 7, 8 and 9 and your own knowledge.
    Do you agree with the view that conscientious objectors were treated fairly by
    the authorities during the First World War?

ReputationRep:
    Summer 2010

How far do Sources 2 and 3 challenge the impression given of Lord Raglan in
    Source 1?
    (20)
    EITHER
    (b) (i) Use Sources 4, 5 and 6 and your own knowledge.
    Do you agree with the view that the Second Boer War advanced the cause of social
    reform in Britain?
    (40)
    OR
    (b) (ii) Use Sources 7, 8 and 9 and your own knowledge.
    Do you agree with the view that the Great War resulted in ‘a revolution in the art of
    warfare for the British Army’ (Source 8, line 46)?

ReputationRep:
    Jan 2010

How far do the sources suggest that, despite high casualty rates, the British public
    supported the continuance of the First World War?
    (20)
    EITHER
    Do you agree with the view that it was largely as a result of the work of Florence
    Nightingale that medical care for British soldiers improved during the Crimean
    War?
    (40)
    OR
    Do you agree with the view presented in Source 9 that critics of the Second Boer
    War ‘were wrong to say that the concentration camps were part of the deliberate
    use of the “methods of barbarism”’ (Source 9, lines 48–50)?

ReputationRep:
    Summer 2009

How far does Source 3 challenge the impression given in Sources 1 and 2 that the
    Battle of the Somme had achieved worthwhile objectives?
    (20)
    EITHER
    Do you agree with the view suggested in Source 5 that the main factor preventing
    the press from publishing ‘bad news’ during the Boer War was censorship by the
    military authorities?
    (40)
    OR
    Do you agree with the view that ‘the war changed very little for women’
    (Source 7, line 38)?

ReputationRep:
    Jan 2009

How far do Sources 2 and 3 challenge the view given in Source 1 that the officers
    commanding the British Army in the Crimean War were unfit for the position?
    (20)
    EITHER
    Do you agree with the view that popular enthusiasm for the Empire declined as a
    result of the Second Boer War?
    (40)
    OR
    Do you agree with the view that during the First World War morale in the British
    Army remained high?

ReputationRep:
    That's all six so you can see what has been asked. Good luck on the 23rd Jan!

ReputationRep:
    "I actually seem to struggle with the A type questions rather than the B type questions, i find the B type questions pretty straight forward, probably because i have read over the information so many times, on the A questions i just can' figure out what to put and end up not making enough points and i find it hard to relate my points to the provenience."

Use the provenance to help you assess the VALUE of the source. In the mark scheme it says 'weight' of the source, but I think it is better to think in terms of value. All sources have value, because they tell you something and are there to help you answer the question. But how much value does it have based on the origin / purpose. An example for you:

You go out at the weekend.

1) version you tell your mum when she asks if you had a nice time.
    2) version you tell your close mates
    3) version you put on facebook
    4) version you put in your diary (if you keep one)

Which is the 'true' version of your night out?

Key ingredients of Part A responses:
    1) Use the provenance - just mention it for level 2, use it for level 3, integrate it into your sustained argument and judgement for level 4.
    2) Make inferences
    3) Do not go through the sources in sequence, rather pick themes from them, eg economics
    4) Only contextual knowledge - own knowledge is not awarded.
    5) Have a clear judgement on the question.
    6) Look for points of support and points against in the sources to provide balance.
    7) Don't say any source is useless, all sources have value. last year on this paper a significant amount of students said that because the sources given were from newspapers that they were no good.
    8) Key advice: take time to read the sources carefully so that you see beyond the obvious points in them. I advise 15 minutes to read and plan for part A, and 20 minutes writing. 35 minutes of your 1hr 20mins. You should not need to write more than three sides of exam sized paper to get your 20/20, and would be pushed to do it in less than 2 sides.

University open days

• Staffordshire University
    Everything except: Midwifery, Operating Department Practice, Paramedic Undergraduate
    Sun, 21 Oct '18
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.