chemistry practical help please! Watch

This discussion is closed.
jo123
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
Hi guys, iwas wondering if anybody could help me, i'm doing a chmeisrty prctical and i was wondering if anybody has done a chemsitry AS-level practical before. thanks
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
Not the real one, but we've done quite a few practise timed ones at school, our real one is next wednesday!!
jo123
Rep:
?
so what did you get in it? i'm really dumb, mine is also on wednesday, what type of things came up in your practical?
thanks mate.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
hi...
ive done loads of practicals. i think this one will be a titration, im pretty sure it will be cos the planning exercise had a titration and they are usually related. hope this helps!
mihir
penny1985uk
Report 15 years ago
Please, please, please will someone explain the titration part of the OCR chem AS planning i havent a clue and am really stressing!
Cheers me dears :-)
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
You just need to provide a method for the titration, but not a detailed one as it's a 500-word assignment.

The acid goes into the burette and the Na2C03 is confined to the conical flask.

You must have done titrations before, so don't panic. They don't want a table of titres, just a procedure for doing it and a sample calc.

Hit the textbooks for the answers, and don't forget the equation:

2HNO3 + Na2CO3 ---> 2NaNO3 + C02 + H20

Unregistered
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
I have just finished my full A level in chemistry, if i can help at all feel free to email me on [email protected]
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
I didn't realise that my email address, above, would be underlined... there is an under score seperating each word
jo123
Rep:
?
i'm doing a chemisrty practical this week for as level, and i was wondering wondering whether you could give me any tips, and what is likely to come up?
thanks mate.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
I'm scared coz i av my prac exam 2moro an all! i havent even finished my plan n im stuck!!! :'( does any1 else feel like a dunce in a class full of genius'
Caroline x
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
Yea could be a titration AGAIN, or chemical tests like on the planning paper, just had biology practical today, went ok actually!! A titration is when you add acid to an alkali or vise versa using a burette, then using an indicator you can see when the solution has been neutralized, and so can work out things like number of moles/concentration of various solutions, you must have done one of these at ur school/college?! Practice all your calculations that you've learnt today ready for tomorrow, also go over titrations, ion tests, etc.

Finally, don't worry about it, often practical stuff comes up that you haven't learnt anyway but just follow the instructions to the letter,and just go with the flow!!

Kim
x
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
I think it is going to be a delta H 2moro for AS. my teacher has told us its defo a delta H or titration but weve been hinted its delta H n ive no idea about them, any tips for them?
Caroline x
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
enthalpy? Oh dear. kim.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
It's not going to be a titration, It's going to be an enthalpy of neutralisation. I'm almost certain, as the teachers have known for a while now what it will be and thats all we've done for the last few weeks. Our mock was that.

I'm so relieved, neutralising is so much easier than titrating. All u have to do is add the liquids together and record the results and maybe draw a graph. Piss easy stuff.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
i do, im one of three grls that go to my all boys school and they can all do chem and i cant, i was good at gcse!im stressing about my practical tmorrow. help me anyone!
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
i was told it was definately a titration 2moro.....you guys have got me sooooo worried now!!! oh my god!! iv bin in hospital , only got this planning crap yesterday, and now im panickin so bad...... adding ethanol to the ethanoic acid is accepted by the exam board, isnt it???? oh yeh, and has anyone done graphs/flow charts/other **** on their plans???? PLEASE someone reply or i mite die of stress!
love yas
sarah xx
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
sarah do u do ur plan bfor the exam, we do ours when we get in there.im stressing too.i try but i cant do them!grrr.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
yeh u av 2 do a plan b4 anyway dont u? ive not done any graphs in, i just did a couple of tables of observations - mines shite n i totally copied my teachers notes!!! enthalpy of neutralisation? isn't that a titration anyway? do u mean delta H where u time and draw a cooling curve? im *****in one - lost my moles booklet so ive nowt 2 revise ahhh. was good at GCSE too, know the feelin!
caroline xx
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
caroline dont worry,ive learnt all the calculations but i have trouble applying them,we do the plan and all in the exam. im one of 3 grls at my school and all the boys can do chem, i feel so silly that i cant, i used to be able to then i got a crap teacher. u know that feeling u get when u try but dont get it right, thats how i feel bout chem.im sure everyones stressing but what can we do but try our best.
hana*
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
im stressin coz im +ve its a delta H coz my teacher hinted - my teachers good but nowts got thru 2 me this year! i dont even kno what delta H is or the calculations - r they jus the same as in a titration expt? im sure they dont all kno what they r doin - im the same my class r so clever but i bet there r others like us. pls help.... Caroline xx
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (192)
27.79%
No (499)
72.21%

Watched Threads