Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I was browsing the internet and read a couple of articles and watched some videos about it.
    There actually is an international association for it: Internation Dark Sky Association

I have little knowledge yet about the consequences of it, but it seems that the primary
    reason is our view of nightsky is being obstructed by the lights we use.

Their argument that light pollution is also a waste of energy is totally agreeable. If it is for efficiency,
    I am ok with that, but to see the stars - astronomers (and non-astronomers) who want to see
    the nightsky could just go to rural or darker areas.

What do you think about it? Is light pollution something we should care about?

ReputationRep:
    Of course, then again I am biased. If of course you go by the "astronomy is pointless and has no use for us," then really the only reason against it is the waste of energy. Though that argument is an odd one, since it still lights ups the areas, but then gets lost, so it's not like the light is just being shone into the sky for no reason.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 27, 2011

University open days

• Staffordshire University
    Everything except: Midwifery, Operating Department Practice, Paramedic Undergraduate
    Sun, 21 Oct '18
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.