Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm halfway through my second year doing undergraduate law, and I hate the course. I managed to pass my first year with a 2:2 after a lot of studying, and I've found that this year the subjects are even more difficult and even less interesting to me. I don't like the subject and I'm not very good at it.

My first year was absolutely miserable because not only did I have difficulty with my work, but I didn't have very many close friends so my personal life was really bad as well. This year I've found some really good friends and my social life has made me happier, but most of these friends are exchange students who will be leaving at the end of the year, and this makes me dread my third year.

I've been thinking about dropping out and pursuing a business administration degree, with a major in marketing and a minor in media or journalism, hopefully in the United States. I've told my parents, and although they're insistent on me at least finishing this degree, I know they'll be supportive if I feel really strongly about dropping out. They suggest that I finish this degree, work a couple of years in London, and then pursue a Masters in the States. However, I'm not even sure I can finish this degree.

I'm terrified though, because if I drop out I'll have several months here by myself (my apartment contract lasts until the summer) where I'll have to get a job, and I don't even know if the next degree will work out and if dropping out would turn out to be a huge mistake. Not to mention going to the States would be a huge change and I don't even know if I'll enjoy my time there.

I feel like if I continue, I would be able to pass my degree but with a very bad grade, which I don't feel would be worth it. But dropping out would mean months of stress for myself and my parents, and no guarantee that I'll be happy. Anyone have any advice that could help?

ReputationRep:
    keep going. think about the academic and prospective pros of completing a degree in law (regardless of other aspects). you will be far better off with a degree in law than wasting the previous 2 years of your uni life. a LLB will benefit you more than dropping out; think about the long term benefits = completing it (your course) is better than not completing it, especially as it's law. and plus i am sure that you can improve the 2.2 to a 2.1. also, just make more friends and enjoy your time at uni! everyone else is! sorry if i am being a bit harsh, but everyone else i know (who is reading law) loves it; especially uni life, so dont make it worse for yourself

ReputationRep:
    I guess if you want to go into law than you will have to get the necessary qualifications.... But if you feel law isn't for you and want to try another career path then dropping out of uni isn't a bad idea, I dropped out of uni and now find my self in a graduate job withou a degree.... And still have a great social life, studying for qualifications and most importantly getting paid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jhearnden)
    I guess if you want to go into law than you will have to get the necessary qualifications.... But if you feel law isn't for you and want to try another career path then dropping out of uni isn't a bad idea, I dropped out of uni and now find my self in a graduate job withou a degree.... And still have a great social life, studying for qualifications and most importantly getting paid.
    I'm really interested to know how you managed to get a graduate job after dropping out of uni?! :confused:

Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.