Turn on thread page Beta

Laptop is just...blegh watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Another problem ;-;

I have an Acer laptop, I don't know...what kind or anything. As I am still useless with technology. Anyway, if you told me how to find it, i'm sure I could
    I have had this laptop for less than three months.

Well, I already have a few problems...
    1: Sometimes while I am doing something it randomly just turns off. Like, watching a video on youtube, it can have 50% battery or over and the screen fades to black and it turns off in a minute.

2: During the day, I only close the lid, since I take regular breaks. I always make sure to check how much battery there is, and usually end up closing the lid while it has at least 20% battery left. The problem is, when I come back to it, I press the button to turn it on and it'll turn on fine for 5-10 seconds, then click off. But then it clicks back on about 5 seconds later. It seems like if I held the power button in, it turns off like that. (I have only held it in to turn it off once or twice, I know it isn't good to do that)

3: This happened just now actually, I don't know if I did something or what, but I was typing this out and it turned off. It did the closing programs/logging off/shutting down, so I might of knocked the button (it clicks very easily) but I doubt I did, nothing was near it. Also I know nothing was pressing it in any other situations.

So...anyone, advice? I am trying to refrain from taking it to a shop to be repaired, as it'll likely take a while knowing their customer service...
    Also, sorry for the long post. Another also, I have tried to google the problems, but it didn't help.

ReputationRep:
    I'm assuming that your laptop is running some form of Windows. I, personally, have experienced this problem.

I have a few suggestions for you
    • Change you 'energy settings'. Details of how to do this can be foundhere

• Try to refrain from consistently closing the lid on your laptop whilst at 20% power. Although this is not the cause of your current problem it can cause issues with the life-span of your battery.

I sincerely hope this helps, please PM me if your require more information

(FutureMD.)
    Apple Developer

ReputationRep:
    Okay, thanks I try to make sure the battery is at least 50% though.

ReputationRep:
    Plug it in? Also make sure you don't use it on your bed, carpet or a surface which restricts the removal of warm air by the fans as a battery exposed to consistently higher temperatures will reduce its lifespan. It may also be overheating which will cause it to turn itself off without warning.

ReputationRep:
    I make sure it doesn't get too hot, but I guess maybe it could be. I sit with it at an angle which means air will be at the bottom. I guess that is a good reason, though. Thanks

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: November 28, 2011
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.