The Student Room Group

What do I do about my unemployment, I'm getting depressed and have no confidence?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom
This is inspiring to hear. Good luck with the business :top:. If you manage to become really successful then that's really good cos then you don't have to rely on other people to employ you for jobs to make a living. I'm also thinking of starting a little art business. I haven't been making art nearly as much as I used to though, just lost the motivation, but I guess I'd better give myself a kick in the butt to get back into the swing of things :smile:.

Thank you :smile: I hope that some day I will become really successful! :wink:
And yeah, that's the nice thing about it, you're your own boss.
An art business eh? what sort of art, paintings, or drawings or..? It's a really good idea, hard work, but very rewarding!
And yeah, I lost my motivation in taking my photos for a little while, but you do just have to give yourself a little kick up the bum, and get back to it! It's a real shame to lose interest in something you enjoy, especially if it's something you're good at too!
I hope you do get back to your art :smile: and if you decide to start up a business, I hope it goes really well! :proud:
Reply 41
I've been unemployed since I finished university in June. I'm stuck in the can't get a job without experience, can't get experience without a job cycle. I also can't get an unskilled retail job because I'm over qualified.

My biggest piece of advice is to keep yourself busy. For volunteer work try going straight to the charity instead of through a agency. All the charity shops in my area are full with retired people and kids on DofE, so I went to a local riding for the disabled centre who I found were desperate for volunteers. I really enjoy it, I've met new friends there and I can put it on my CV as communication and teamwork skills. It also shows the employer I haven't been spending my time sat at home watching Jeremy Kyle.

Also, now is the time to start new hobbies, I've always wanted to learn the guitar so I've been teaching myself with my spare time. I've also taken up geocaching which gets me out the house. I've also been improving my French and Spanish which I started learning in school. If there's a certain job you want that requires skills you haven't got then teach yourself. I really want to go into Bioinformatics but as well as my Biochemistry I also need to know some programming languages. have just started teaching myself Python. Once I have the basics down I am going to do some of my own projects at home as examples to show employers. If you have internet access and possibly a local library you can teach yourself almost anything.

And of course don't forget to keep applying for ALL jobs that come up and email/phone any potential companies you could work for.
Reply 42
Door to door. This is the best option. Ask to speak to managers, pound the pavement, go to nearby cities etc, look into windows for job openings. I'd also suggest checking out other universities job sites, there are some where you do not actually have to be a student to sign up for. I got a cleaning job for the summer from one. It wasn't great, but it gave me some sort of cash. You can't really afford to be picky right now, just get what you CAN and then change later if/when something comes along.

Nothing's wrong with TRYING OUT for X Factor, but unless you have been doing PROFESSIONAL TRAINING, have had serious experience performing, or are willing to make a total and complete ass of yourself I can almost guarantee that you won't even make it to the "tv" part of the show. Actually, many genuine GOOD singers don't even make it past the first round.
Take it with a pinch of salt. It's only the job market, it doesn't define who you are. That doesn't mean stop trying. You just have to not be anxious, take a shot and got what the hell.
It's horrible mate, I feel your pain.
The fact of the matter is, for every job their is someone with more experience than us. It is cheaper for the government to give us £53 a week than it is for them to stimulate the job market so don't expect anything to change any time soon.
Original post by Vikki1805
Thank you :smile: I hope that some day I will become really successful! :wink:
And yeah, that's the nice thing about it, you're your own boss.
An art business eh? what sort of art, paintings, or drawings or..? It's a really good idea, hard work, but very rewarding!
And yeah, I lost my motivation in taking my photos for a little while, but you do just have to give yourself a little kick up the bum, and get back to it! It's a real shame to lose interest in something you enjoy, especially if it's something you're good at too!
I hope you do get back to your art :smile: and if you decide to start up a business, I hope it goes really well! :proud:

Thanks :smile:. I was thinking of doing paintings, and maybe some drawings too, to sell to people. I'm considering doing prints too if I'd prefer having more than one copy of each work. I have a sister who is 15 and she just draws every single day, for pleasure and for her art GCSE. She also sometimes does drawings for other people and told me that someone is paying her £5 for one, which is a good start. I'd say she is very talented and much better at art than I am, although I probably could improve if I practised more. Which I will try to do once I stop being lazy/procrastinating and start more being productive with my time :p:

By the way, I really like the photo in your sig. Did you take it?
Thanks :smile:. I was thinking of doing paintings, and maybe some drawings too, to sell to people. I'm considering doing prints too if I'd prefer having more than one copy of each work. I have a sister who is 15 and she just draws every single day, for pleasure and for her art GCSE. She also sometimes does drawings for other people and told me that someone is paying her £5 for one, which is a good start. I'd say she is very talented and much better at art than I am, although I probably could improve if I practised more. Which I will try to do once I stop being lazy/procrastinating and start more being productive with my time :p:

By the way, I really like the photo in your sig. Did you take it?

Oh wow, yeah being paid £5 for her art is a really good start! You should be a very proud sister :proud:
And prints is a really good idea. What sort of things do you enjoy painting/drawing usually?
And that's so strange, I was just thinking how much I like the image in your sig :mmm:
Unfortunately I didn't take the photo in my sig, although it is a lovely photo! :smile:
I know how you feel although ive only been looking for about 6 months. Theres jobs out there, everytime I look for a job theres always one I like the look of and apply for but no one ever gets back to you, despite me having a much better education than most and some decent experience. Unfortunately though places seem to be able to be so picky, being a supervisor in a bar means I cant work as a sales assistant in a high street store apparently.
Dont give up though, just keep looking and maybe look at smaller places like sole trader shops or something and just because they havent advertised a job it doesnt mean there arent any available (in regard to the Sainsburys thing)
Reply 48
You might find a job working for charties, working to ask people on the highstreet if they have a spare 2-minutes with the eventual aim of getting them to set up a small direct debit each month/week. Check it out, there's loads such as ActionAid, British Red Cross, etc.
I can beat both of you; I've been applying hardcore since September 2010 :sad:. I was in college last academic year though so that made it not so bad, but now I'm unemployed I expected to find it easier since I'm much more flexible with my time, but no I still get rejected from everything :sigh:

:sad:

:console:
Reply 50
In a lot of cases, its "who you know" not "what you know", I got my current part time job through a good mate of mine, so ask all your friends/relatives about any jobs that may be available.

Also:

- Revamp your CV
- Contact agencies in your local area

Hope my advice has helped
Oh wow, yeah being paid £5 for her art is a really good start! You should be a very proud sister :proud:
And prints is a really good idea. What sort of things do you enjoy painting/drawing usually?
And that's so strange, I was just thinking how much I like the image in your sig :mmm:
Unfortunately I didn't take the photo in my sig, although it is a lovely photo! :smile:

I like drawing all sorts, but mainly animals and people. I'm trying to come up with interesting stuff that would sell :yep:

Original post by Dee Leigh
:sad:

:console:

Thanks. I've been thinking of doing a working holiday in Australia, as apparently it's easy to get a job there, but unfortunately I'd need money to get started in the first place. Argh, annoying cycle! Hopefully I'll come up with something eventually.

Good luck in your job search :yy:
Reply 52

Hmm, well it's really good that you're already doing things such as boxing and going to the gym. And seeing as you're working out quite often, I'd have thought you'd be burning the excess weight off?
Perhaps when you feel like comfort eating, draw something instead! Every time you feel like eating out of boredom, draw a duck instead... :mmm:

Oh yeah, i am burning off the weight, but i am not getting slimmer because i come home and eat junk, so i am staying at the same weight. I am not used to being overweight, so it makes me self conscious carrying the extra weight around. If i was good enough, i would draw some pictures and sell them on. Practice makes perfect though, right? Lol, so maybe i can become proficient enough lol or i might buy a decent camera and steal your job :P
Original post by TheEnigmaUK
Oh yeah, i am burning off the weight, but i am not getting slimmer because i come home and eat junk, so i am staying at the same weight. I am not used to being overweight, so it makes me self conscious carrying the extra weight around. If i was good enough, i would draw some pictures and sell them on. Practice makes perfect though, right? Lol, so maybe i can become proficient enough lol or i might buy a decent camera and steal your job :P

Well stay away from the junk then, like I said, draw ducks :biggrin:
Just occupy your mind, when you want to eat, do something else!
And practice does make perfect :wink: But you can't steal my job! :tongue:
Original post by Timie
It's basically the job centre, except they actually talk to you about nothing, opposed to saying nothing.

All that happened was - I was there for a month before they relised that I had a CV and I knew how to write a letter. Step 1 finished!

Step 2 was to look for work, and they assigned me someone to help me browse the net for work - face palm. It's basically going somewhere to see someone type "indeed" in google. And then asking you "is this okay"?

Waste of time really. But you have to go or you don't get any money.

I just wish some company would just give me the chance to prove myself but instead they always play the safe route and hire someone with 10 years of shelf stacking experience to deal with all those shelf staking issues that could arise.

I agree with this. I don't have proper interviews with them; I literally go in, sign on and then smile at me and tell me they will see me in two weeks. I always knew you were primarily responsible for the job searching, but I thought they'd sort of meet you halfway and help you out. They haven't done much for me so far apart from some half-hearted dabbling on the computer, but maybe I'm expecting too much :s-smilie:

When I first signed up, I told them down the phone I wanted jobs in 'retail', 'catering' 'education' and 'admin'. They typed it in and told me the only thing they could see was a motorsales receptionist which was miles and miles away from where I lived and required previous experience. I told them this wasn't really for me. They then wished me luck on my job search and hung up. I guess they assume if you're that desperate for a job you'd take on anything.

I think that's why they're doing these voluntary work schemes for young people so the experience can be acquired. I'm not sure if you've been told about these but I got assigned to one but I could only do it for four days because of travelling/distance. It just wasn't feasible. So it's back to browsing the web and handing out CVs :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by original_username
It's horrible mate, I feel your pain.
The fact of the matter is, for every job their is someone with more experience than us. It is cheaper for the government to give us £53 a week than it is for them to stimulate the job market so don't expect anything to change any time soon.

Are you talking about benefits? I was wondering about this. Someone told me that maybe I should consider going on benefits, but I thought to myself...how can the government still give money rather than invest some of that money into helping people get jobs? Maybe I'm dumb and not understanding the situation. Plus I would rather work.

The other thing for all of us to bear in mind is that a lot of employers seem more willing to employ older and experienced people, and foreign people, instead of young British people.

Some employers have even commented on this, saying they would rather employ foreign people instead of young people because foreign people are a lot more serious about work than young people in this country, and that some people in this country would rather be on benefits because it's the same as minimum wage, and are hardworking and have more skills and the education system in this country has not prepared us for the world of work. This annoyed me a little bit because not all British young people aren't so bad...but the article was in the Daily Fmail so maybe that's why they said those things.
Original post by Jabberwox
I agree with this. I don't have proper interviews with them; I literally go in, sign on and then smile at me and tell me they will see me in two weeks. I always knew you were primarily responsible for the job searching, but I thought they'd sort of meet you halfway and help you out. They haven't done much for me so far apart from some half-hearted dabbling on the computer, but maybe I'm expecting too much :s-smilie:

When I first signed up, I told them down the phone I wanted jobs in 'retail', 'catering' 'education' and 'admin'. They typed it in and told me the only thing they could see was a motorsales receptionist which was miles and miles away from where I lived and required previous experience. I told them this wasn't really for me. They then wished me luck on my job search and hung up. I guess they assume if you're that desperate for a job you'd take on anything.

I think that's why they're doing these voluntary work schemes for young people so the experience can be acquired. I'm not sure if you've been told about these but I got assigned to one but I could only do it for four days because of travelling/distance. It just wasn't feasible. So it's back to browsing the web and handing out CVs :smile:

Essentially they just search their database, which conveniently is online to!
Reply 57
Original post by TheEnigmaUK
I have been unemployed for about a year or so, it seriously sucks bad! I just really want to find a job, but every damn job I apply to I never get. My friend's brother has just got a job at sainsburys, whereas I looked on the sainsburys website a few weeks ago and they had no vacancies. What the hell am I doing wrong? I am 23 years old with no job, and I have low confidence because I've been out of employment for so long. I have low motivation to get out of bed in the mornings, I just want to find some work. I even applied to a volunteer agency a few months ago, but no response. I rang them back, but they said they would be in contact when something became available that was suited to my preferences. What the hell do I do? I am suffering from depression and my confidence is terrible at the moment, I hate this feeling! I want to find a job and move out of my dad's place.

the thing with sainsburys is they update their jobs 24/7 and you will have to live within a 5 mile radius to even get an interview (some roles 3 miles some even 10 but usually 5).

Now what you want to do is register several email accounts and remember the passwords etc.. then you want to search the sainburys website 3 times a day until a local vacancy comes up, then quickly register your account and apply, once you are rejected you will not be able to apply for any other jobs with the same account, this is why you should have many email accounts set up so you can quickly apply for as many jobs as fast as possible. If you get 2 interviews do not phone up to book them within the same day or you will be caught. I could not find a job since 2009/8 but i tried this method for 2 months and i had 3 interviews and got the job. Each vacancy closes after it has 80 applications (according to my duty manager) they will then short list you based on distance and about 20 or so people will get interviews for 8 or so vacancies (im just telling you by my experience). good luck
Hmm, well it's really good that you're already doing things such as boxing and going to the gym. And seeing as you're working out quite often, I'd have thought you'd be burning the excess weight off?
Perhaps when you feel like comfort eating, draw something instead! Every time you feel like eating out of boredom, draw a duck instead... :mmm:

Food tastes so good though
Original post by Dee Leigh
Are you talking about benefits? I was wondering about this. Someone told me that maybe I should consider going on benefits, but I thought to myself...how can the government still give money rather than invest some of that money into helping people get jobs? Maybe I'm dumb and not understanding the situation. Plus I would rather work.

Ye I'm talking about benefits, its £53 a week for me, probably the same for you if you sign on. We would all rather work, that's a given. You're entitled to the money so I would say just have it, takes a bit of the burden off your parents, although £53 is sod all to be honest.

I'm cynical so the way I see it is that the government don't really care about the unemployed because the cost of funding schemes which will generate jobs is greater than giving them the bare minimum on the dole. Cameron will bleat on about how has lowered and is continuing to lower corporation tax and how that frees up money to employ more people but that's a load of tripe, it adds zero incentive to employ more staff, just increases their profits.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending