The Student Room Group

What do I do about my unemployment, I'm getting depressed and have no confidence?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Nick1sHere
Food tastes so good though

I know... :coma:

but drawing ducks is just as good :mmm:
Reply 61
Original post by Dee Leigh
Are you talking about benefits? I was wondering about this. Someone told me that maybe I should consider going on benefits, but I thought to myself...how can the government still give money rather than invest some of that money into helping people get jobs? Maybe I'm dumb and not understanding the situation. Plus I would rather work.

The other thing for all of us to bear in mind is that a lot of employers seem more willing to employ older and experienced people, and foreign people, instead of young British people.

Some employers have even commented on this, saying they would rather employ foreign people instead of young people because foreign people are a lot more serious about work than young people in this country, and that some people in this country would rather be on benefits because it's the same as minimum wage, and are hardworking and have more skills and the education system in this country has not prepared us for the world of work. This annoyed me a little bit because not all British young people aren't so bad...but the article was in the Daily Fmail so maybe that's why they said those things.

Have you paid income tax and national insurance before? Well when the worst happens and you do become unemployed you don't feel so bad about collecting your £50 quid a week. I did it immediately after I graduated until I found a job 3 months later.

I didn't feel like I was stealing from society, it helped me find a suitable job that matched my ability, sure I could have got a job at Tesco but this would have hindered me with interviews and the rest, so in the long term sometimes being unemployed can be for the benefit of the economy in the long term, as long as it isn't for too long!

One idea if you have limited funds but have an entreprenurial streak is to set up a web based business. I did this when younger and found it was a great way to make money. Depends on your computer skills though.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by simstar88
Have you paid income tax and national insurance before? Well when the worst happens and you do become unemployed you don't feel so bad about collecting your £50 quid a week. I did it immediately after I graduated until I found a job 3 months later.

I didn't feel like I was stealing from society, it helped me find a suitable job that matched my ability, sure I could have got a job at Tesco but this would have hindered me with interviews and the rest, so in the long term sometimes being unemployed can be for the benefit of the economy in the long term, as long as it isn't for too long!

One idea if you have limited funds but have an entreprenurial streak is to set up a web based business. I did this when younger and found it was a great way to make money. Depends on your computer skills though.

No I have never paid income tax.

No I have never paid national insurance.

Also I very recently started doing some paid freelance work and I have found I need to register with HMRC as self employed, so I am guessing I would not be able to claim benefits as I am not unemployed?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by TheEnigmaUK
That means nothing! I still need money to take classes/courses. I have looked on my local college website, but there aren't any courses available that are free. I was thinking of going back to college next year to study an access course, but I have already done a level 3 course, so I would need to pay for the Access course. I just want to earn some money, get a stable job, and move out of my dad's house.

I think I responded to one of your threads a few months back relating to Access courses, though I'm not too sure.

Anyway, I'm very much in a similar boat to you. I already have a level three diploma, have no job (that may change in the next week, though I've lost hope in interviews at this point), and am currently claiming JSA. I'm about eighteen months younger than you are, though I can understand your position exactly. It's hella' tough.

It seems even for the briefest part-time voluntary positions, you have to go through the entire rigmarole of several interviews, on-line surveys etc, (I know, I was volunterring for Age Concern until the start of November), just to get one such position. Paid employment is incredibly scarce, though you already know that.

My plan about nine months ago was to get a job, save money, and start my access course. That didn't happen, and likely may not happen even for the coming academic year. Does it upset me? Absolutely. Can I do much about it? Not much, no. I just have to persevere.
Hello :smile:
I am very sympathetic towards your position, I was unemployed over the summer and it really did get me down. :frown: I have horrible interview technique (I'm quite shy, and find it really hard to sell myself to absolute strangers) and that really hindered the search.
Therefore, I would say that it's quite important that you keep up your spirits and confidence by carrying out hobbies, exercising etc because it really does affect the way you come across on online applications and your covering letters. At the end of the day I think employers want to see somebody fresh and enthusiastic to come into their company.

I hope that helped a little, best of luck with your search. :biggrin:
I also want to suggest to the OP and everyone else on this thread that you can go to the Careers section on TSR where you can post your CV and a mod will check it and tell you how to improve it. I've just done that and now I have to completely change my CV. I had a feeling it was holding me back.
Reply 66
No I have never paid income tax.

No I have never paid national insurance.

Also I very recently started doing some paid freelance work and I have found I need to register with HMRC as self employed, so I am guessing I would not be able to claim benefits as I am not unemployed?

Edit: Sorry I mis-read, it depends how much you're earning from this etc. probably best to ask at the job centre with a phone call.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 67
The job climate is ridiculously bad :frown:
Only advice I can give is actually go into the charity shops and speak to them face to face. Sometimes they dont bother going through the official advertisement routes and just speaking to the manager can help. Thats how I got my position at Oxfam during summer, spoke to manager - filled in the form and the next week she called back.
The reason I'm depressed is because I have been umemployed for so long, I have no money, and I have nothing to focus my time on. But I'm not sure about University anyway, as I don't even have any idea on what I want to do as a career. I am not just going to go to Uni without a passion or liking for the degree, it would be a waste of money & time. And I have applied for Sales jobs, but then they say they require someone with sales experience, which rules me out as I have never had sales experience. I have applied for kitchen staff at the local weatherspoons about 3 or 4 times, but every time they send back an "unsuccessful" email.

Try retail stores in areas that are harder to reach by public transport, such as those in retail parks. I got a job at a Next Clearance with no experience whatsoever. Google search 'Q&A for next job application online'. The answers are actually on TSR (should be first result) and you need over a certain percentage to get an interview. I know plenty of people working at the store I'm at and at another in the city that had no experience. Pay is minimum wage, but it's a start. What I said about hard to reach places is key here. Jobs in the town centre are really hard to come by because plenty of people can get there by public transport. Convenience for a lot of people = lots of job applicants per place. Don't just go for the obvious Primark + Maccy D's either. The fact that a lot of people think it's easier to get a job there are often mistaken because a lot of people think the same. (My friend is supervisor at a Maccy D store so she knows).
If you have contacts, use them. Ask your parents if they know anyone at work who knows someone who could offer you a job. Try speaking to the manager of a store when you go in rather than just handing in CVs to an assistant. Dress well (not too casual but not too smart) and sound passionate and enthusiastic about getting a job and they could offer you one then and there. Either way, you'll make a better impression than just handing in a sheet of paper.
Best of luck.
Original post by Luxray
The job climate is ridiculously bad :frown:
Only advice I can give is actually go into the charity shops and speak to them face to face. Sometimes they dont bother going through the official advertisement routes and just speaking to the manager can help. Thats how I got my position at Oxfam during summer, spoke to manager - filled in the form and the next week she called back.

This is definitely true. The shop I volunteered in tried new young persons every fortnight or so. They usually didn't come back after the first or second shift, though they did take people on frequently. The website vacancies are often horribly misleading and/or inaccurate.
Reply 70
Best to get on benefits.
Original post by SweetsAndSugar
Try retail stores in areas that are harder to reach by public transport, such as those in retail parks. I got a job at a Next Clearance with no experience whatsoever. Google search 'Q&A for next job application online'. The answers are actually on TSR (should be first result) and you need over a certain percentage to get an interview. I know plenty of people working at the store I'm at and at another in the city that had no experience. Pay is minimum wage, but it's a start. What I said about hard to reach places is key here. Jobs in the town centre are really hard to come by because plenty of people can get there by public transport. Convenience for a lot of people = lots of job applicants per place. Don't just go for the obvious Primark + Maccy D's either. The fact that a lot of people think it's easier to get a job there are often mistaken because a lot of people think the same. (My friend is supervisor at a Maccy D store so she knows).
If you have contacts, use them. Ask your parents if they know anyone at work who knows someone who could offer you a job. Try speaking to the manager of a store when you go in rather than just handing in CVs to an assistant. Dress well (not too casual but not too smart) and sound passionate and enthusiastic about getting a job and they could offer you one then and there. Either way, you'll make a better impression than just handing in a sheet of paper.
Best of luck.

Really good advice for the OP and everyone else, thanks :biggrin: I'll bear all of that in mind, especially the bit about speaking to the manager rather than giving in the CV to the shop assistant.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by fourskin
Best to get on benefits.

Are you on benefits?
Reply 73

Are you on benefits?

What difference does it make?

I have been unemployed for about a year or so, it seriously sucks bad! I just really want to find a job, but every damn job I apply to I never get. My friend's brother has just got a job at sainsburys, whereas I looked on the sainsburys website a few weeks ago and they had no vacancies. What the hell am I doing wrong? I am 23 years old with no job, and I have low confidence because I've been out of employment for so long. I have low motivation to get out of bed in the mornings, I just want to find some work. I even applied to a volunteer agency a few months ago, but no response. I rang them back, but they said they would be in contact when something became available that was suited to my preferences. What the hell do I do? I am suffering from depression and my confidence is terrible at the moment, I hate this feeling! I want to find a job and move out of my dad's place.

Join the club, My confidence has fallen to I WANT A JOB TO BUY A CAR
What difference does it make?

Well you and some other TSR user keep on saying that we might as well be on benefits.
Reply 76

Well you and some other TSR user keep on saying that we might as well be on benefits.

Might as well be in this climate, people have gone through it hundreds of times. If it's taking a minimum wage job for £200 a week, in return for 40-45 hours work, that you get taxed on and have to pay bills, etc... and simply claiming housing benefit and getting £67.50 a week JSA, for NO WORK the choice is remarkably simple.
Reply 77
why do you stay in bed just because you don't have a job?

Are you defined as a person by someone else telling you what to do for a wage? use the spare time you have to do things outside of paid employment and don't waste any time laying in bed all day
Might as well be in this climate, people have gone through it hundreds of times. If it's taking a minimum wage job for £200 a week, in return for 40-45 hours work, that you get taxed on and have to pay bills, etc... and simply claiming housing benefit and getting £67.50 a week JSA, for NO WORK the choice is remarkably simple.

Yeah except most people don't want to be sat at home all day masturbating and watching day time telly
Reply 79
Original post by beefmaster
Yeah except most people don't want to be sat at home all day masturbating and watching day time telly

why do people think the only alternative to paid employment is

-laying in bed
-masturbating
-watching tv

You have no imagination. Do you need an employer to tell you what to do with your life? when to get up, when to get changed, when to go to the toilet.ect...

if you're unemployed use your free time wisely. When you're employed you'll be wishing you had more spare time!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending