Turn on thread page Beta

Confused about my close friend watch

Oh golly, am I confused.

I suppose this thing started when I told one of my closest friends that I liked her about three or so years ago. Between then and about a year ago nothing is worth reporting on, so I won't say it.

But what happened from then on is what's confusing me. I did several foolish things and said to her twice, maybe three times that I had feelings for her - and yet all that, she still wanted to be friends with me.

The thing that confuses me the most is every so often ('tis almost a regular occurance), she complains that no one likes her/no one will ever like her/she never will find anyone.

Now, my personal experience with the fairer sex (what a ridiclious phrase, far from fair in my rather humble opinion...) is that someone usually says things like that when they are interested in you. But I know pretty much 100% that she isn't interested in me, so what does it mean?

I kinda feel like she's hiding something from me, she says she's feeling a bit down now she's at uni and yet she refuses to tell me why! :( I can only guess...

Ideas on what to say next?

ReputationRep:
    *****es be crazy :sadnod:

ReputationRep:
    Maybe she likes one of your friends or thinks you'll have some amazing friend she doesn't know who you can set her up with. She's almost certainly not worth the amount of time you've spent thinking about her by the way, especially considering what she'll most likely give you in the end (i.e. nothing). You said it yourself, women are no "fairer". They go for what makes them happy, just like men.

She sounds quite unpleasantly whiny to me, OP. I know a few girls who are always moaning about everything and grasp for sympathy and cuddles at every opportunity. Tell her to grow up a bit.

ReputationRep:
    She is using you as a shoulder to cry on. She is probably not interested in you (or if she is, probably not worth the time given her petty mind games).

Change your name, change schools, change your number, change the locks on your doors, and run far, far away leaving her behind to dwell in her own misery

(Original post by problemsolver)
    Maybe she likes one of your friends or thinks you'll have some amazing friend she doesn't know who you can set her up with. She's almost certainly not worth the amount of time you've spent thinking about her by the way, especially considering what she'll most likely give you in the end (i.e. nothing). You said it yourself, women are no "fairer". They go for what makes them happy, just like men.
    Hah, if only. I'm not exactly the most social being, and all of my friends are her friends. I don't think I have friends I don't know about...?

(Original post by defuzion)
    She is using you as a shoulder to cry on. She is probably not interested in you (or if she is, probably not worth the time given her petty mind games).

Change your name, change schools, change your number, change the locks on your doors, and run far, far away leaving her behind to dwell in her own misery
    Lol.

ReputationRep:
    When she complains that no one likes her she probably means no one that she could like back. If she doesn't take you up on your offer, she probably doesn't want to.
    I, for one, have had a few male friends interested in me. If i had wanted to go out with any of them i would have. However, we have remained friends and being friends sometimes includes complaining to each other about your lack of a love life :/

(Original post by Ingrid<3)
    When she complains that no one likes her she probably means no one that she could like back. If she doesn't take you up on your offer, she probably doesn't want to.
    I, for one, have had a few male friends interested in me. If i had wanted to go out with any of them i would have. However, we have remained friends and being friends sometimes includes complaining to each other about your lack of a love life :/
    Yeah, but her constantly going on about it - isn't that a bit erm, odd?

(And are you sure they're just friends to you?)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)

Well if you really thinks it's because she likes you, then why don't you try hitting on her again? Obviously, so that she can't get the wrong idea. But I'd be careful because if she hasn't been with anyone in a while she could just hook up with you out of loneliness and then you'd get hurt anyway :/
    But I tell you what. Sometimes guys just keep trying when you're pretty sure you said NO the first time. It can become so insistent that the girl ends up being pressured into it. So i would be really careful if i were you, if she doesn't like you, you may end up getting really hurt and ruining your friendship

ReputationRep:

She's not going on about it because she likes you, she's going on about it because she likes whining about it and is too insensitive/selfish to realise/care about how much it's confusing and upsetting you.

Find someone worth your time.

ReputationRep:
    Its possible (if she's particularly self conscious) that she's basically fishing for complements to get an ego boost. Ie, "nobody likes me" you: "loads of people have liked you! I like you!..." etc etc, I've known plenty of people who get like that from time to time, usually when they don't have many people chasing them :P

ReputationRep:
    Next time she starts talking like this, just tell her calmly that she could have had you and that you'd rather she didn't say stuff like that to you of all people when it's obvious that you like her yourself. Frankly she's using you to boost her ego and just being generally insensitive.

ReputationRep:
    Oh golly, am I confused.

I suppose this thing started when I told one of my closest friends that I liked her about three or so years ago. Between then and about a year ago nothing is worth reporting on, so I won't say it.

But what happened from then on is what's confusing me. I did several foolish things and said to her twice, maybe three times that I had feelings for her - and yet all that, she still wanted to be friends with me.

The thing that confuses me the most is every so often ('tis almost a regular occurance), she complains that no one likes her/no one will ever like her/she never will find anyone.

Now, my personal experience with the fairer sex (what a ridiclious phrase, far from fair in my rather humble opinion...) is that someone usually says things like that when they are interested in you. But I know pretty much 100% that she isn't interested in me, so what does it mean?

I kinda feel like she's hiding something from me, she says she's feeling a bit down now she's at uni and yet she refuses to tell me why! I can only guess...

Ideas on what to say next?
    She doesn't fancy you, she'll never fancy you. You're misreading things.

ReputationRep:
    Guy close friends with a girl!? :rofl:

(Original post by LaughingBro)
    Guy close friends with a girl!? :rofl:
    Well, we were really close friends before this whole thing kicked off, so yes. I don't usually want to procreate with all my female friends, only a select few.

ReputationRep:
    Agree with everyone here. She is using you as an ego booster.

I suppose pretty much all of you are right - I mean, she only does really talk to me when she feels incredibly lonely, so yeah. The oddest thing is that sometimes I feel like I've been used...

ReputationRep:
    She sounds quite unpleasantly whiny to me, OP. I know a few girls who are always moaning about everything and grasp for sympathy and cuddles at every opportunity. Tell her to grow up a bit.
    Nothing wrong with wanting cuddles

ReputationRep:
    She's just milking you for attention IMO

ReputationRep:
    Has she ever actually said that she likes you? What did she say when you said you liked her?
    If she wanted to be with you, she would be. So either just be her friend with no more expectations, or move on.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 1, 2011
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.