Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have waded through a lot of discussion between my friends and the Internet forums, however I haven't found strong enough arguments on questions as:

1) What is the future of Biochemistry?
    2) What are career prospects of Biochemistry?
    As a prospective student in this field, I would like to get an insight from current students about workloads in this thread or by PM.
    3) Is sandwich year worth to do?

I would like that this thread expand more for other prospective biochemists who may be brimming with questions too.

ReputationRep:
    Also a biochem applier:

1.) I'm interested in pharmaceuticals
    2.) See above: Working for Glaxo, etc
    3.) Don't know yet...

ReputationRep:
    Go to www.prospects.ac.uk and search for biochemistry, lots of info on there!

I'm guessing it's gonna be pretty similar options open to any life science graduate. Phd, medicine, dentistry, management, NHS, pharmaceutical monster companies to name a few!

I'd recommend a sandwich year. Employers like people with experience.

I'm studying biomedical science, and by doing my sandwich year puts me pretty much on the shortlist for NHS posts!

ReputationRep:
    1) What is the future of Biochemistry?
    That is a brief question that could bring back 100s of replies. Biochemistry is a life science and what sort of career/research you get involved with is ultimately what determines your direction. For example here at Newcastle I know there are a lot of projects associated with proteins and their application in cancer treatments.
    2) What are career prospects of Biochemistry?
    Similar to that of any other undergraduate life science degree. Medicine, teaching, research to name a few.
    As a prospective student in this field, I would like to get an insight from current students about workloads in this thread or by PM.
    At Newcastle all of the biomedical sciences students (biochemistry, pharmacology,genetics...) are all thrown in together for your first year and you get to decide which course you prefer (you'll get a taste of all of them in your first year) and continue with that for the second year. The work-load is doable. If you treat your degree like a job (9-5 with a little work at the weekends) you'll be doing more than enough.
    3) Is sandwich year worth to do?
    Yes, employers love anyone with work experience. You'll probably get told at least once in your university career the following story from a staff member which can be summarised into:

I knew someone that studied so hard they got a first in their degree but now really struggles to find work because they only ever revised and didn't embrace everything else that university has to offer.

It's generic, and repetitive but on the whole, it's completely true. I'd do a sandwich year if I had the opportunity.

Essentially your not doing a degree entirely for the knowledge you gain, it's mostly about the transferable skills. If you're applying for a research position an employer would rather fine tune your existing knowledge of a certain topic (say, a bacteria they use extensively) than teach you basic laboratory techniques.

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Life Sciences Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.