Turn on thread page Beta

Food and Running and whatever else I may do to stay fit blog. watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I thought I'd start recording some of my fitness stuff here. I'm not expecting anyone to read it, but of course any advice is hugely appreciated.

Background

I finished an 8-week 5k training plan about a month and a half ago, starting from nothing, with a couple of repeated weeks, and have been jogging 5k three times a week fairly regularly since, with a week's rest for a knee injury. This week I am starting a 10k programme, and maybe thinking about including some speed sessions.

My upper body strength is fairly non-existent, so I'm also thinking of working on that. I also do Karate, at a beginner level, but want to take it more seriously now.

Finally, I need to work on what I eat because I've lost half a stone this term, but I eat rubbish at university, then put it all back on at home.

Stats as of today

5k record: 28min 50s
    1500m record: 7min 50s
    Height: 5' 10''
    Weight: 12st 12lb
    (down from 13st 5lb)
    Press-ups (female): 5
    Press-ups (male): 0
    Pull-ups: 0

Aims by Christmas

Be able to run 10k
    Develop a decent basis for a strength programme
    Stabilise diet (hopefully losing weight, but health is my primary goal)

ReputationRep:
    Eipc story, will tenderly read to great grandchildren.

ReputationRep:
    Friday;

Exercise

Jogged 35min (5.8km)
    Walked 100min
    Karate lesson, 1.5 hours

Food

Chicken sandwich
    Crisps
    2 cans appleade
    Chocolate brownie
    Apple

ReputationRep:
    Also if you're aiming to lose weight, diet is the main thing to concentrate on. I see too many people go out running to "lose weight", and then drink 2 bottles of lucozade after the run and consuming all the calories they've just burnt off. All that wasted effort, and they never lose any weight at all.

EDIT: Is that all the food you ate in a day? Because it sounds pretty undernourished.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skarm)
    Eipc story, will tenderly read to great grandchildren.
    Um, it's a blog, nobody made you read it.

However, just in case I will intersperse it with captions from Thomas the Tank Engine so that they don't die of boredom...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Octohedral)
    Um, it's a blog, nobody made you read it.

However, just in case I will intersperse it with captions from Thomas the Tank Engine so that they don't die of boredom...
    Truly you are thoughtful.
    Although is that all the food you're eating in a day in your post above?
    It definately wont hit your macronutrient requirements.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skarm)
    Also if you're aiming to lose weight, diet is the main thing to concentrate on. I see too many people go out running to "lose weight", and then drink 2 bottles of lucozade after the run and consuming all the calories they've just burnt off. All that wasted effort, and they never lose any weight at all.

EDIT: Is that all the food you ate in a day? Because it sounds pretty undernourished.
    Okay, thanks for the advice, I thought you were just posting to be sarcastic

Yes, that's the kind of stuff I've been eating, hence the losing half a stone. I know my insides must look like hell, but that's why I'm starting a blog, in the hope it focusses my mind.

I appreciate the help

ReputationRep:

Yes, that's the kind of stuff I've been eating, hence the losing half a stone. I know my insides must look like hell, but that's why I'm starting a blog, in the hope it focusses my mind.

I appreciate the help
    how are you losing weight eating junk every day?

ReputationRep:

I appreciate the help
    Dayum.
    In terms of macronutrients, you're nowhere near hitting what will be best for exercise, although it's a pretty steep calorie deficit, so you'll lose weight.
    Really the first thing to do would be switch from apple soda stuff to water, and use the saved calories to invest in a low GI carbohydrate and a good protein source.

ReputationRep:
    Saturday;

Exercise

Walked 40min
    Karate lesson, 1.5 hours

Food

Baked potato
    Cold chicken
    Chilli sauce
    Cheese
    2 apples
    Can of coke

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tinktinktinkerbell)
    Are you trolling?
    Weight loss has nothing to do with "junk food", and everything to do with calorie deficts.
    You can eat as healthily as you like, if you eat over the calories needed to maintain bodyweight, you will always gain weight.

Also @ octohedral, use http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/CalRequire.html to calculate the calories you need to eat to maintain weight, and eat 500 calories from that for your diet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skarm)
    Are you trolling?
    Weight loss has nothing to do with "junk food", and everything to do with calorie deficts.
    You can eat as healthily as you like, if you eat over the calories needed to maintain bodyweight, you will always gain weight.
    nope not trolling im genuinely interested cause when i eat junk but had a massive deficit i didnt lose weight

ReputationRep:
    nope not trolling im genuinely interested cause when i eat junk but had a massive deficit i didnt lose weight
    You were not counting calories properly then.

ReputationRep:
    Because the junk food barely adds up to 1000 calories. Sadly, this also means I'm getting no nutrients whatsoever, so long-term it's like poison.

(Original post by Skarm)
    Dayum.
    In terms of macronutrients, you're nowhere near hitting what will be best for exercise, although it's a pretty steep calorie deficit, so you'll lose weight.
    Really the first thing to do would be switch from apple soda stuff to water, and use the saved calories to invest in a low GI carbohydrate and a good protein source.
    Thanks, I'll certainly do that. I should just swap the crisps and chocolate for pasta or something too, guess I'll just have to have more self-control.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skarm)
    You were not counting calories properly then.
    lol yes i was, i was weighing and counting everything

Because the junk food barely adds up to 1000 calories. Sadly, this also means I'm getting no nutrients whatsoever, so long-term it's like poison.

why dont you eat better then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skarm)
    Also @ octohedral, use http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/CalRequire.html to calculate the calories you need to eat to maintain weight, and eat 500 calories from that for your diet.
    Thanks a lot, I certainly will

ReputationRep:
    lol yes i was, i was weighing and counting everything

So you are suggesting that you are an exception to the third law of thermodynamics?
    You either:
    -Miscalculated the amount of calories required to maintain bodyweight, or
    -Miscounted your calorie intake.

However, you definately were not eating under your calorie maintainance levels and not losing weight.

ReputationRep:
    why dont you eat better then?
    That's the point of this blog.

ReputationRep:
    i use this one

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/

and then this to include exercise

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-ca...dict-equation/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skarm)
    So you are suggesting that you are an exception to the third law of thermodynamics?
    You either:
    -Miscalculated the amount of calories required to maintain bodyweight, or
    -Miscounted your calorie intake.

However, you definately were not eating under your calorie maintainance levels and not losing weight.
    well its funny that i ate 1500 and didnt lose, ate 1600 and lost 3lbs, ate 1700 and lost 1.75lbs

so if 1700 and 1600 is enough of a deficit to lose weight 1500 should have been

so yes i was eating under what i needed by a lot

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness blogs threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.