Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've never had a part time job and i don't really do any extra-curricular stuff.

Will not having a job disadvantage me? I've only ever done 2 weeks work experience...at a playgroup.

I've won school awards for GCSE and stuff last year and represented my local area at cross country (but that was years ago).

I've made my own personal website using HTML...that's a good skill right? But if i say that then i might have to show people it and i don't want the whole world seeing it (even tho it's on the web lol).

It seems like when the time comes i'll have nothing to put on my personal statement! Should i get a job/take up something new? I want to go to Bristol, Durham or another top uni for geog (2005) btw.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SiAnY)
    I've never had a part time job and i don't really do any extra-curricular stuff.

Will not having a job disadvantage me? I've only ever done 2 weeks work experience...at a playgroup.

I've won school awards for GCSE and stuff last year and represented my local area at cross country (but that was years ago).

I've made my own personal website using HTML...that's a good skill right? But if i say that then i might have to show people it and i don't want the whole world seeing it (even tho it's on the web lol).

It seems like when the time comes i'll have nothing to put on my personal statement! Should i get a job/take up something new? I want to go to Bristol, Durham or another top uni for geog (2005) btw.
    There aren't any extra cc's that are decent at my school either, but I've done a lot of other things that I can put down.

BTW - Just ebcause you did it a year ago, doesn't mean you haven't done it.

Point of UCAS is to show you're a good candidate, mention the things you have done, whether it be recent or a while ago - there is no difference really.

All the best.

ReputationRep:
    Not having a job will not disadvantage you, especially as it's pretty hard at your age to find a job which is flexible enough to fit around your other commitments.

Anyone who has enough determination should be able to rustle up some sort of interest/hobby before it comes to writing your personal statement. I would suggest involving yourself in a hobby which isn't completely solitary as unis will want to see that you will be able to communicate with others. Now is the time to start looking for hobbies which might interest you, you never know, you could actually find something you really enjoy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucy)
    Not having a job will not disadvantage you, especially as it's pretty hard at your age to find a job which is flexible enough to fit around your other commitments.

Anyone who has enough determination should be able to rustle up some sort of interest/hobby before it comes to writing your personal statement. I would suggest involving yourself in a hobby which isn't completely solitary as unis will want to see that you will be able to communicate with others. Now is the time to start looking for hobbies which might interest you, you never know, you could actually find something you really enjoy
    Thanks Lucy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SiAnY)
    Thanks Lucy
    But don't forget about the things you have done - You've had awards at GCSE, you've ran cross country for your school.

These are very good things, and you shouldn't take them for granted as "not that special" - a lot of people would kill to have good grades or be good at a sport!!

All the best - btw: Don't you do work experience in year 12?

Because that's what we are doing, although some people e.g.) medics, do more than most. That's where "work" comes in, but I doubt a proper job - There's a lot of commitments, and it may not be worth it unless you really want to, and it's planned. I know nobody who has a proper job, only 1 or 2 who've done bits and bats - and not anything respectable for the ucas form!!

Try Squash, it's pretty good!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bono)
    But don't forget about the things you have done - You've had awards at GCSE, you've ran cross country for your school.

These are very good things, and you shouldn't take them for granted as "not that special" - a lot of people would kill to have good grades or be good at a sport!!

All the best - btw: Don't you do work experience in year 12?

Because that's what we are doing, although some people e.g.) medics, do more than most. That's where "work" comes in, but I doubt a proper job - There's a lot of commitments, and it may not be worth it unless you really want to, and it's planned. I know nobody who has a proper job, only 1 or 2 who've done bits and bats - and not anything respectable for the ucas form!!

Try Squash, it's pretty good!
    Nope, we don't get work experience in year 12 unfortunately .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SiAnY)
    Nope, we don't get work experience in year 12 unfortunately .
    If you are wanting to do a geography degree, then i think you should try to find a job for 2 weeks or so that gives u an insight into such a thing.

To be honest, if you did no work expereince, it could hinder you - uni's generally expect some.

Sorry for being blunt, but it's true, at most schools they really push you to do some as it shows your interests towards such a degree.

It is quite essential, or very helpful at least.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bono)
    If you are wanting to do a geography degree, then i think you should try to find a job for 2 weeks or so that gives u an insight into such a thing.

To be honest, if you did no work expereince, it could hinder you - uni's generally expect some.

Sorry for being blunt, but it's true, at most schools they really push you to do some as it shows your interests towards such a degree.

Ok then. Just gotta think of somewhere now. :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bono)

Well, I go to a boarding school and have done no work experince at all and I've just been offered a place at Durham for Geography, so its obviously not essential.
    I wouldn't worry so much about doing work experince as doing somthing that show your interest in the subject. For example mention any travel you've done, and what you've noticed there. Also i try and get invloved with what your school offers extra curriculy [!] its much easier than trying to find a relevent "job."
    Definitely mention your X-country and GCSE prize, i am in the X-Country team [sort of] and got the AS geog prize @ school and i put that in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hamishr)
    Well, I go to a boarding school and have done no work experince at all and I've just been offered a place at Durham for Geography, so its obviously not essential.
    I wouldn't worry so much about doing work experince as doing somthing that show your interest in the subject. For example mention any travel you've done, and what you've noticed there. Also i try and get invloved with what your school offers extra curriculy [!] its much easier than trying to find a relevent "job."
    Definitely mention your X-country and GCSE prize, i am in the X-Country team [sort of] and got the AS geog prize @ school and i put that in.
    Well done on getting a place! Are you doing BA or BSc?

The GCSE prize i mentioned was for geography, which is guess will be helpful But about the cross country, that was when i was in year 7 so it was AGES ago :/

I haven't done any travelling, i've never even been abroad. This is not because i don't want to but because i (my family) can't afford foreign holidays :/ Will not travelling let me down esp as it is geog i want to do??

What extra curricular stuff did/do you do?

ReputationRep:
    you could read some geography related books (soz, i dont do geography so i have no idea what sort of things you could read about) and put in your personal statement 'i have recently read xxxx by xxxx and found that this gave my an insight into areas of geography i have not been able to study in school...' or something - it shows you're willing to read around to make sure you know the subject before you do it at degree level, and also that you enjoy it enough to read about it in your spare time.

Donna
    -x-

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SiAnY)
    Well done on getting a place! Are you doing BA or BSc?

The GCSE prize i mentioned was for geography, which is guess will be helpful But about the cross country, that was when i was in year 7 so it was AGES ago :/

I haven't done any travelling, i've never even been abroad. This is not because i don't want to but because i (my family) can't afford foreign holidays :/ Will not travelling let me down esp as it is geog i want to do??

What extra curricular stuff did/do you do?
    No of course it won't let you down! you can actually use it to your advantage saying you are facinated in the world around you and would like to travel when you grow up, for example as part of your geography course. Some one metioned reading books about geography which i thought would be hard coz there aren't any geog novels or anything. But theres loads of facinating books about the global warming or other curent issues like overpopulation,it depends on what part of geog intrests you, i watched loads of documentries that sounded interesting, like some of the horizons on BBC. um btw i got my books from the school geog department, they'll probs have some, all you have to do is ask and show an interest. I also got my parents to get me a subscription to National Geographic magazine and metioned that in my PS ; just shows your interest.
    ok well X-country @ 7 was a while ago, perhaps you shouldn't bother mentioning that. But think about all the stuff you do now, sorta think thru ur life! do you play any sports? what do you do with your free time? An example could be using this site! you could say in ur PS, " I use the internet to contact people with similar interests" or sumthing like that.
    Extra curricular wise, i am involved in an Ecology Association that has just started up which is aiming to recycle all the paper the school wastes. Stuff like that,if there isn't sumthing like that at your school you could always try starting one up; shows initative!
    btw i applied for BA but they offered me BSc [i think, mite b the otehr way round], same course tho so it doesn't matter!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hamishr)
    No of course it won't let you down! you can actually use it to your advantage saying you are facinated in the world around you and would like to travel when you grow up, for example as part of your geography course. Some one metioned reading books about geography which i thought would be hard coz there aren't any geog novels or anything. But theres loads of facinating books about the global warming or other curent issues like overpopulation,it depends on what part of geog intrests you, i watched loads of documentries that sounded interesting, like some of the horizons on BBC. um btw i got my books from the school geog department, they'll probs have some, all you have to do is ask and show an interest. I also got my parents to get me a subscription to National Geographic magazine and metioned that in my PS ; just shows your interest.
    ok well X-country @ 7 was a while ago, perhaps you shouldn't bother mentioning that. But think about all the stuff you do now, sorta think thru ur life! do you play any sports? what do you do with your free time? An example could be using this site! you could say in ur PS, " I use the internet to contact people with similar interests" or sumthing like that.
    Extra curricular wise, i am involved in an Ecology Association that has just started up which is aiming to recycle all the paper the school wastes. Stuff like that,if there isn't sumthing like that at your school you could always try starting one up; shows initative!
    btw i applied for BA but they offered me BSc [i think, mite b the otehr way round], same course tho so it doesn't matter!
    Noo the X country was when i was 11 (in year 7 at school)! I subscribed to Geography Review magazine this year.

The courses are different!! It says in the prospectus that like for BA you do social research, for BSc you do scientific research. And for BA your modules from another dept are social sciences and for BSc it's usually sciency modules.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SiAnY)
    Noo the X country was when i was 11 (in year 7 at school)! I subscribed to Geography Review magazine this year.

The courses are different!! It says in the prospectus that like for BA you do social research, for BSc you do scientific research. And for BA your modules from another dept are social sciences and for BSc it's usually sciency modules.
    hi
    im not a very interesting person - dont do music, sport,job etc... but its surprising how much you can think of to write down when ppl remind you, even though you think its not really relevant. im hopefully going to sheffield to do ba geog in sept, and i got offers from the other unis i applied to, including nottingham, so its obviously not that important.
    i mentioned the geog review in my ps, i would have joined the royal geog soc & subscribed to the 'geographical' mag but it cost too much when i could read it in the school library.
    i mentioned my yr11 work exp ( i thought it was law?), d of ed bronze award i did in yr 10 etc - they dont have to know when it was! i hated writing my personal statement , it makes you sound so full of yourself - plus they all so sound so stupid/sucking up, even the good ones.i managed to lighten mine up at the end by mentioning that i was a season ticket holder at a football club (ipswich) & how i was looking forward to meeting like minded people at uni cos at the mo i go to an all girls sch where not that many ppl are enthusiastic (not in those words).
    if you can think of anything like that that makes you even the slightest bit different to every other person that they have to read about, put it in!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amyitfc)
    hi
    im not a very interesting person - dont do music, sport,job etc... but its surprising how much you can think of to write down when ppl remind you, even though you think its not really relevant. im hopefully going to sheffield to do ba geog in sept, and i got offers from the other unis i applied to, including nottingham, so its obviously not that important.
    i mentioned the geog review in my ps, i would have joined the royal geog soc & subscribed to the 'geographical' mag but it cost too much when i could read it in the school library.
    i mentioned my yr11 work exp ( i thought it was law?), d of ed bronze award i did in yr 10 etc - they dont have to know when it was! i hated writing my personal statement , it makes you sound so full of yourself - plus they all so sound so stupid/sucking up, even the good ones.i managed to lighten mine up at the end by mentioning that i was a season ticket holder at a football club (ipswich) & how i was looking forward to meeting like minded people at uni cos at the mo i go to an all girls sch where not that many ppl are enthusiastic (not in those words).
    if you can think of anything like that that makes you even the slightest bit different to every other person that they have to read about, put it in!

Ok cool. I can't wait to do geography @ uni, it's the only subject i love.

ReputationRep:
    you could try setting up a club at school or subscribing to a couple of geog magazines to show outside reading and just how much you love the subject

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by presebjenada)
    you could try setting up a club at school or subscribing to a couple of geog magazines to show outside reading and just how much you love the subject
    I have subscribed to Geography Review :P
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by SiAnY)
    In our school a couple of A level students set up an "Armchair Geographers" club for year 7 - and they got videos on different parts of the world and produced a little travel-type booklet on each place. They did it about every 2 or 3 weeks so it wasn't too onerous and then in the summer term they alternated with activities out of door eg walking along bearings, finding "erosion hotspots" and planning how to improve them. Anything like this would be great to put on your application. shows interest, committment and ability to work with others - what more can you want!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SiAnY)
    "I am a keen reader of Geography Review..." without lying, you can make your Personal Statement more interesting. Whilst you say you've not done anything, you mention several worthy things - there's people here at uni who do nothing productive whatsoever. Definitely get involved in something worthwhile - work experience over this easter, go travelling over the summer vacation... however don't do stuff with the sole intention of putting it on your UCAS form, it's like people doing stuff solely for "CV points", do it because primarily it interests you.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.