Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    My investigation was seeing how long it took for amylase to catalyse the breakdown of starch at different temperatures. We measured how long it took in seconds then worked out the rate of reaction but I don't have a clue what to put as the unitson my graph. Any help??

ALSO the amylase we used had an optimum temp of about 80 degrees C - is that bacterial amylase cos I'm guessing it's not human.

ReputationRep:
    is this biology coursework because i had something similar mine was lipase reaction with milk to make fatty acids and glycerol. i used seconds^-1 (to the power of -1). im not to sure though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Awe5omeness)
    is this biology coursework because i had something similar mine was lipase reaction with milk to make fatty acids and glycerol. i used seconds^-1 (to the power of -1). im not to sure though.
    It's probably what we're going to do for our cw but this was just an investigation in class... Thanks for the help, that looks like it could be right.

ReputationRep:
    the mol dm^-3s^-1, divide by the concentration*its order(mol dm^-3) givesthe rate constant, i just realised its not ur question but i cba to delete it..
    here is ur answer:
    in my one i just measure how fast it takes for the colour change then divide by time to find the rate(not really the rate but since its direct proportional to the initial rate)then change the concentration each time. therefore mine is rate/conc therefore is mol s^-1 over mol dm^-3, and then to plot graph (if its not approximately linear then do again with mol s^-1 over mol^2 dm^-6 etc)hope if it helps..

ReputationRep:
    ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff.. .. sorry sorry, here is ur answer conc over time which is mol dm^-3 over s or u can do volume over time, mol over s

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 27, 2011

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.