The Student Room Group

LAW - Sheffield vs Leicester vs UEA ?

out of these three, which would you go for ?

pros vs cons of each Uni plz :biggrin: ?

ps. this is my first ever thread !
(edited 12 years ago)
Two? Good thing you're not applying for maths.

Anyway, I would have thought Sheffield would hold the greatest currency with employers. Oddly, it is beaten by both of the other universities for career prospects ater six months, however this is presumably because a greater number of Sheffield law graduates are actually pursuing further training to become lawyers at that point in time.
Reply 2
Original post by TurboCretin
Two? Good thing you're not applying for maths.

Anyway, I would have thought Sheffield would hold the greatest currency with employers. Oddly, it is beaten by both of the other universities for career prospects ater six months, however this is presumably because a greater number of Sheffield law graduates are actually pursuing further training to become lawyers at that point in time.

can you back up your answer plz; that "a greater number of Sheffield law graduates are actually pursuing further training to become lawyers" ? :biggrin:
Original post by Gordon
can you back up your answer plz; that "a greater number of Sheffield law graduates are actually pursuing further training to become lawyers" ? :biggrin:

Well I did say 'presumably' - I don't know it for a fact. But my reasoning was as follows: Sheffield has worse employment stats for law after six months than UEA or Leicester, despite being a slightly more reputable university overall. That is odd in itself. However, that is what you would expect to see if a greater proportion of Sheffield law graduates actually go into careers in law, since six months after graduation they would be doing the LPC or BPTC as opposed to being in employment.

If 100% of a university's law graduates go off immediately to become solicitors or barristers, you would expect their 'graduate prospects after six months' figure to be zero. Hence, 'graduate prospects' in league tables for law is generally a pretty misleading figure in itself.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending