Turn on thread page Beta

You don't have a right to be happy watch

• View Poll Results: Should you be allowed happiness?
    I don't care about anyone else as long as I get what I want
    11.96%
    I try not to think about the bad things that happen and just enjoy life
    31.52%
    Sometimes it gets me down but I'm usually happy
    18.48%
    I find it hard to be happy because of this
    3.26%
    I've had a miserable life anyway, I want my share of happiness
    7.61%
    We should all do much more to help others who are suffering
    27.17%

ReputationRep:
    In this country there's plenty of people going around with smiles on their faces. Maybe they've got the career they wanted, or are married to some beautiful woman/rich guy. Maybe they have lots of friends, lots of money and go out every night.

However, should they really be happy? I mean, look at the world. Not just countries in Africa (which some of you won't care about) but this country, too. There is incredible suffering, poverty, war, death, disease. There's lots of horrible things happening that we can't do anything about, and lots that we can.

Do people even consider any of this? Or does the majority just party their lives away whilst billions of people live lives of suffering?

I don't understand how people can turn a blind eye to everything bad that's happening, will happen and has happened and cavort their way through life. Actually, I do, but I'm not going to go into it.

What are your thoughts? Should people be happy if they can be happy? Should we even care about others?

My answer: most of you don't deserve to be happy. But that's just my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry i havent met these people who are happy because they are rich? I see people in 3rd world countries who are living on subsistence level and are incredibly happy and content. I see people in the western world sad and depressed due to social anxiety.

I get where your coming from but its nonsense.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rant)
    In this country there's plenty of people going around with smiles on their faces. Maybe they've got the career they wanted, or are married to some beautiful woman/rich guy. Maybe they have lots of friends, lots of money and go out every night.

However, should they really be happy? I mean, look at the world. Not just countries like Africa (which some of you won't care about) but this country, too. There is incredible suffering, poverty, war, death, disease. There's lots of horrible things happening that we can't do anything about, and lots that we can.

Do people even consider any of this? Or does the majority just party their lives away whilst billions of people live lives of suffering?

I don't understand how people can turn a blind eye to everything bad that's happening, will happen and has happened and cavort their way through life. Actually, I do, but I'm not going to go into it.

What are your thoughts? Should people be happy if they can be happy? Should we even care about others?

Maybe, but at least we're being thankful for what we've got - by your logic - and the best way to express that is to smile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bill_Gates)
    Sorry i havent met these people who are happy because they are rich? I see people in 3rd world countries who are living on subsistence level and are incredibly happy and content. I see people in the western world sad and depressed due to social anxiety.

I get where your coming from but its nonsense.
    As I said in the first post, there are people suffering in our country too. I would suggest that people living in horrific conditions in the "third world" are trying to put a brave face on it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rant)
    x
    You confuse being happy with being selfish.

Being unhappy about the bad things in the world won't change them. It will only bring more unhappiness to the world. It would be a waste of your life to be unhappy because there are things you dont like about the world. If it bothers you that much, do something about them, don't just waste your time being unhappy about the fact that they happen.

But being happy because your life has worked out doesn't mean that you don't care for those who haven't been so fortunate. It just means your not wasting your life bringing misery to the world.

ALSO. Men can marry rich women, and women can marry attractive men.

ReputationRep:
    I have had an extremely tough year dealing with illness and now i'm back to full health, i'm on top of the world. Happiest i've been in around 12 months and there is no way you're telling me I don't deserve to be happy after finally overcoming being ill!

ReputationRep:
    If everyone was just 'sad' at the situation people are in with third world countries and people stuck in the middle of war... don't you think that the world would be a rather depressing place?

What's the point of being sad if you aren't going to do anything about it? Just because people are happy with the lifestyle they have it doesn't make them them careless. If you refused yourself a bit of happiness because you know there are problems you'd live a horrible life. People are grateful for what they have and that shouldn't be taken away from them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rant)
    As I said in the first post, there are people suffering in our country too. I would suggest that people living in horrific conditions in the "third world" are trying to put a brave face on it.
    Get your ass to the library and then come back will talk. Right now your talking pooh.

ReputationRep:
    Er, just because some countries have it badly it doesn't mean all of its people are walking around in a constant cloud of depression. Why should everyone else? Everyone has good days and bad days.

ReputationRep:
    Bit of a downer, I'm happy-go-lucky. Will stop injustuces if and when I can and don't need guilt tripping by you to do my moral obligation.

ReputationRep:
    Happiness is all relative anyway. Happiness or well-being is always going to be a person's main aim in life, and their aim is to maximise this. It's not a case that you're ignorant if you don't let starvation in Africa affect your happiness, it's just that it doesn't directly affect you. There's not a great deal you can do to stop poverty single-handedly, and it'd be a depressing world if everybody was miserable because of something they can't stop.

As I said, it's all relative to any person's given situation. If I came into my house and there was no food, I'd be unhappy. I'm not going to think 'well at least I ate yesterday, unlike many people in Africa'. That's not really how it works.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bill_Gates)
    Get your ass to the library and then come back will talk. Right now your talking pooh.
    Wait, what?

ReputationRep:
    I shall walk about with a smile on my face if I am happy even if it means being locked up for life

ReputationRep:
    I don't care about anyone else, except my family. Why should I? It's irrational to care for someone I've never met and will most likely never meet.

ReputationRep:
    why do you care if anyone [I]deserves[I] to be happy? some people are, some aren't; get over it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rant)
    Wait, what?
    Who do you think deserves to be happy?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helpful_Charlie)
    I don't care about anyone else, except my family. Why should I? It's irrational to care for someone I've never met and will most likely never meet.
    I extend that sentiment to friends as well.
    However, outside of friendship/family circles, I see no reason to care about others.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rant)

However, should they really be happy? I mean, look at the world. Not just countries like Africa (which some of you won't care about) but this country, too. There is incredible suffering, poverty, war, death, disease. There's lots of horrible things happening that we can't do anything about, and lots that we can.

Aren't you a bundle of joy...

ReputationRep:
    Pretentious to the extreme. You can say people don't deserve to be happy all you like, but if you mean that with any sincerity then you better not smile or laugh ever again. You can become one of those monks who live in misery to repent for human sin!

My bet is you're just trying to be deep. Within 2 weeks you'll have forgotten all about this and moved onto the "Che Guevara was right about everything!!!!" phase.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Svenjamin)
    Pretentious to the extreme. You can say people don't deserve to be happy all you like, but if you mean that with any sincerity then you better not smile or laugh ever again. You can become one of those monks who live in misery to repent for human sin!

My bet is you're just trying to be deep. Within 2 weeks you'll have forgotten all about this and moved onto the "Che Guevara was right about everything!!!!" phase.
    He might just be depressed and angry. I have said things in the past that people would say are "pretentious", but I was usually angry or unhappy and believed those things quite strongly at the time.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.