Any Ideas for a Good Physics Research/ Report Project (OCR B A2)

Watch
stevo13
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Hi, I am trying to think of a really interesting physics topic to do a research & report project (basically an essay) on for my a level physics course work. I have got to come up with a title in the form of a question to write approx 2000 words on. I am finding it really difficult to think of something, I find pretty much all of physics so interesting, its hard to pinpoint one topic to write about.

I really like to do some aspect of space, universe etc. or something to do with light. I thought about maybe black holes, but i think a lot of students would do that. I was wondering if anybody out there could think of any interesting topics that i could research, something a bit different. Any suggestions would be welcomed.

Here are some other ideas i have thought about.

Where did it all begin? (origins of the universe)
Does the universe have a speed limit?

one other idea i have thought about is if we placed a mirror out in space, could we look back to earth at a younger time. IE, placing a mirror 1 lightyear away, we could see earth 2 years ago, but not sure how far you could go with talking about that one.

In case anybody is wondering, I am on OCR B Advancing Physics at A2 level and this coursework unit is G496: Researching Physics 'research briefing' section (not practical)
Tomming
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Hello Stevo!

This kind of project really provides the opportunity to discuss things less theoretical, and more philosphical. I think you should maybe turn your thoughts to the ethical side of things (especially as all areas of science interest you) and look at things like:

Is the Large Hadron Collider a good use of tax payers money? Will the Science Vs Religion debate ever end? From the philosophical side of things there's so many angles. You could even do something along the lines of: Is scientific advancement evidence for a 'Creator'?

Or if you want to go theoretical you could do something regarding Black Holes and the event horizon, the search for alien life, or actually I quite like your mirror in space idea!

I'm aware I'm waffling now, so I'll leave it there! Hope I have helped!
ChrisGospodinov
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I would recommend you talking about the Origin of the Universe and how everything developed after the Big Bang as there are a lot of things you can talk about.

Another thing you can talk about is life outside Earth. You can say something like, if we find life on Mars or Europa for example that would mean that there is life all around the Universe waiting to be discovered etc etc.

Oh and about the idea of placing a mirror 1 light year away from Earth I kept myself from posting the trolol song LOL. (sorry about acting immature)
Thomas1998
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hey guys im Thomas. im thinking quantum computers on wind turbines running Sudoku. What do u think? or black holes
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (2)
4.65%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (7)
16.28%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (5)
11.63%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (4)
9.3%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (17)
39.53%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (8)
18.6%

Watched Threads