The Student Room Logo
This thread is closed

MFE at Saïd

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Last year, approximately half of the applicants were interviewed. From what Heather said, it is likely that fewer candidates are being interviewed this year. This does not surprise me. I gather Heather's statistic (that your chances are 1 in 5) is the more accurate, but I am only speculating.

Regarding interviews, I wouldn't worry too much if you think it went badly. I know quite a few people this year who said theirs went terribly. I suspect that the interviewers have been instructed to be a little more technical this year simply because of the problem we had this year with some students not being familiar with the chain rule, for instance.

Best of luck to everyone who has, or has had, an interview.
Reply 41
my interview (w/ Prof Sussman) was 100% technical for the first 10 minutes, after which he told me that I wasn't suited for the MFE - he basically crushed me!!!

however, he insisted on going on with the interview and then (after about 20 min talking about my personal statement, career plans, work experience, etc) asked me if I would mind him changing my application from MFE to MBA...he said he would recommend that admissions offer me a place, because he thinks I have an impressive application, a strong personality and leadership potential, although I might be almost too young (however, he stated that he can't guarantee me a place, since he can only make recommendations)

well, so I'm going for the MBA now....:cool:

I wish you guys all the best for your MFE applications - keep me updated

see ya in Oxford in September (hopefully - fingers crossed)
Reply 42
soz guys.... but this may sound really stupid.... :confused: but what the hell is MFE?:confused: soz if it is a stupid question... but i really need to know...... burning desire to know!!!:p:
Reply 43
guptay004
soz guys.... but this may sound really stupid.... :confused: but what the hell is MFE?:confused: soz if it is a stupid question... but i really need to know...... burning desire to know!!!:p:

there are no stupid questions, just stupid answers...
no reason for feeling stupid, to the contrary, it would be stupid to not ask because of feeling stupid - enough of that stupid ****...:redface: :p:

MFE = Masters in Financial Economics

postgrad programme, offered by Said Business School (Oxford)

@jamesbeaton
thx..best of luck to you, too
that's great zerocool!!! all the best for the mba admissions then!!

I had the interview with Prof Tarun Ramadorai in Delhi yesterday. I haven't done any preparation for the interview. I was under the impression that the interview will be more about my career plans etc, and so I just read the personal statement that I had sent along with my application.

The interview was technical. (But I dont think it would've helped even if I had prepared for the interview). It was more like a general discussion, and less like I was being questioned. As soon as I got into the room, he asked me to explain a project on the application of neural networks in predicting stock prices (that I had done 4 years ago), and after about 15 minutes, we were still talking about that!!! I realized that time was running out, and that I might not get the chance to speak about my interests and what I had done in the next 4 years, but then, based on the kind of questions he asked, I understood that he was trying to analyze my thought process, and so I co-operated. The questions about the project ranged from what I've done, why I've done that, and why I didn't use a different way to do what I've done. I was so confused, but I was trying to appear confident and give him an impression that I am very clear about what I am saying. He appeared to have been satisfied by what I've said, and then asked me about the next project in my list - something on mutual funds. This time, after I had explained about the project, the discussion went in the direction of appraising a fund managers performance, what are the factors that should be taken into consideration etc. And as soon as I said the word "risk", the discussion again took a turn and went into how one measures risk, what are the components of beta and what exactly do those components mean. This was followed by a 1 min discussion on whether I've done any research in anything else. Then he asked me about what I'm doing in my current company(he didn't appear interested when I replied, so i didn't spend too much time telling him about my currently boring career). And then he asked me whether I have any questions about the programme. I had a lot of questions on my mind, but by the time I asked a couple of questions, the time was up.

some other areas which he briefly touched were
1. why i want to take up this programme after I've done finance at the undergraduate level(i gave him an *obvious reason* answer)
2. where else I have applied to (I told him about the lse offer, but quickly added that the MFE has a better course curriculum. But he cut me short by indicating that he wasn't interested in listening to my pros and cons now)
3. What exactly I've done in one of my internships in a bank (fortunately he didn't ask me a second question about this (coz I haven't done much))

Overall, my impression is that they're just seeing whether the candidate is able to sustain a thought provoking discussion.

I am not satisfied about how the interview went, but neither am I disappointed. There were a lot of other things in my profile that are comparitively more impressive,and I'd have been delighted even if he had mentioned any one of them. Having said that, I am happy he didn't ask me anything in mathematics and economics coz I hardly know/remember a thing.

Ps: As I was replaying the interview in my mind after coming out of the room, the answer to one of the questions he repeatedly kept asking suddenly dawned on me, and I felt really bad because the answer was very very obvious. But I think he knew that I know the answer, and that i just didn't realize that I knew it at that particular point of time (probably my mind just didn't recall it due to some unknown reason)
Hi james...that article looks impressive...can u tell us anything about the profile of students that've made jobs? do most of them have prior work-experience or are they being going in as freshers?

out of that 70, how many people are expected to make jobs before they graduate?
i'm sorry too james:biggrin:

i just posted it out of desperation...I still can't decide which one's better - LSE's MSc in Accounting and Finance or Oxford's MSc in Financial Economics. I sure feel that the course curriculum in the MFE programme suits me better than the one at LSE....but I also want a job by the end of the programme to pay back the loan:frown:

can someone help me decide???
Reply 47
and so the waiting continues...

really starting to get irritated now looks like im gonna have to wait till friday.

has anyone who had interviews in the last couple of weeks had a response yet?
Reply 48
no, still waiting
they'll let us know on Friday I guess
hehe they could've rejected me earlier though, why waiting till the last day:frown:
Reply 49
svetlanka
hehe they could've rejected me earlier though, why waiting till the last day:frown:

i keep telling myself that if id ****ed up real bad they would have rejected me the day after rather than keeping me hanging on right till the end. but thats just me trying to make myself feel better.
Reply 50
All decisions are made on the last working day, i.e. Friday.
From what I understand, the Admissions Committee have a meeting and they then go through all the files of the interviewed applicants and decide who to give offers to.

So hold your breath and wait...
Reply 51
finmath7
All decisions are made on the last working day, i.e. Friday.
From what I understand, the Admissions Committee have a meeting and they then go through all the files of the interviewed applicants and decide who to give offers to.

So hold your breath and wait...

what?!? so i wont hear first thing in the morning?

wont bother sacking off lectures to sit waiting to find out then!!
Reply 52
I'm afraid not. You should expect a decision on Friday, likely to be in the afternoon.

By the way dex316, what's your profile like?
And which schools have you applied to/been accepted?
Reply 53
finmath7
I'm afraid not. You should expect a decision on Friday, likely to be in the afternoon.

By the way dex316, what's your profile like?
And which schools have you applied to/been accepted?

im a 3rd year student at nottingham doing economics and econometrics. currently averaging a first (well just about - 69 point something). gre - 800 on the maths bit, 560 on the verbal and 4.5 on the writing section. no work experience unless u count shelf stacking. 3 A's at alevel if they count that far back. thats about it. now i come to write it all out like that its not all that impressive compared to some others but hey it got me an interview.

also applied to lse (been waiting 6 weeks now), cambridge (still not acknowledged theyve received my references) and nottingham, whove offered me a place if i get a 2.1.

EDIT: now proudly displayed in my sig for all to see
Reply 54
You've got quite a strong profile.
I didn't know Notts has got a Financial Econ masters. How is the reputation like? Well, at least you've got an offer in your pocket.

I have a friend who also applied to Cam MPhil Econ, but no reply yet. Which Option did you apply to? Somehow Cambridge is REALLY slow...
Oxford MPhil Econ has already given out offers...

So which is your top choice?
Reply 55
finmath7
I didn't know Notts has got a Financial Econ masters. How is the reputation like?

apparently quite good but then my tutors probably biased! ive not heard of any IB's or similar which target notts but 'apparently' GES do so it must be fairly good. also, notts have opened campuses in malaysia and china so hopefully their international rep is on the up.

finmath7
I have a friend who also applied to Cam MPhil Econ, but no reply yet. Which Option did you apply to? Somehow Cambridge is REALLY slow...

dont get me started on cambridge. i applied for the non-phd option (a i think). applied in november but first off one of my references was returned unopened with no explanation. so i sent it back and eventually they said it wasnt acceptable so could i send another one. sent that bout 2 weeks ago but still havent acknowledged theyve received it. so im not even in the pile to be considered yet. really makes u wonder if thats the sort of place u wanna go to...

finmath7
So which is your top choice?

tbh i wish i knew! when i decided to do a masters it was lse no doubt but the more i think about it the more i like oxford and was just really impressed when i went for my interview. first choice is certainly lse or oxford and im not even sure id take cambridge over notts (i know my friends think im crazy too). im trying not to make a decision so i wont be more disappointed because i didnt get into my first choice
Reply 56
Not too sure why you like the Oxford MFE that much.
Anyways, my current pick is IC. But if LSE or Cambridge accepts me, I think I'll drop IC...

I got an admit from Warwick a couple of weeks back. I believe their programme is better than Notts. You could have applied there, sure you'll get in.

Oh well, good luck with Oxbridge and LSE. (You're my competitor for the LSE course :p: )

Update when you receive any news.
Reply 57
finmath7

Not necessarily, I received my offer last March by e-mail at 11:00 am GMT (it was 3:00 am back home!). And not to make anyone more apprehensive, but last year the subject line of the e-mail was "Oxford MFE - [Your Name]" regrardless of whether you received an offer. So, you WILL have to read it. :wink:
Reply 58
Maybe last year there were fewer interviewed applicants?
I received my offer in the afternoon, around 3pm.

By the way, today is supposed to be the decisions deadline for round 2. Anyone of you got in?
Reply 59
so the decisions in......

i didnt get in

ah well it was always a long shot. thanks for all the help and comments guys. now i just gotta wait and hope i get into lse