The Student Room Group

Going to a metal concert, what to expect?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Medican
I wasn't disagreeing. I genuinely thought it was adorable that you took your mum to a heavy metal concert. I'm Crap at sensing internet sarcasm.

Haha, my apologies then. I assumed you were being high sarcastic and had negged me. It seems I am also crap at detecting internet sarcasm!
Reply 21
people in spiffing outfits dancing the Charleston
Reply 22
Original post by Onion man
Basically, I'm going to a metal concert in about a week, which features the following bands: Machine Head, Bring Me The Horizon, Darkest Hour and Devildriver.

What I want to know is what to expect from 1. Mosh pits and 2. Walls of Death.

This is the FIRST metal concert I'm going to, so I have no experience of moshing at all. Just how intense are these? I feel I'm not going to leave in one piece but I don't want to be a coward and just try and avoid all the fun.

Does anybody have any experience of moshing? And if so, what happened to you, and more importantly how did you approach it?

This is where i would say man up and just go with the flow (:
mosh pits, are pretty good, but just... beware of the idiot that dances with his fists and punching the air as he/she goes into the moshpit.
usually... people pick you up when you fall but if they don't, just try to get up asap.

enjoy !
Reply 23
Original post by EM(Lin)
That's a wall of death :smile: Never actually been in one myself, sadly...

:rolleyes: Shows how good i am with terminology :colondollar: Sounds awesome wish i could go to one
be prepared to be drenched in other peoples' sweat if you are anywhere near the front or middle. Also there's gonna be lots of jostling and shoving if you're in there, but people generally don't want to see anyone getting hurt and will help out if people fall over or something. If stuff gets too heavy you can just get passed over the top of the crowd and over the front barrier.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 25
Original post by SnoochToTheBooch
be prepared to be drenched in other peoples' sweat if you are anywhere near the front or middle.

Unfortunately true... I always feel so sorry for anyone else travelling with me and my friends after a gig :tongue:
Original post by EM(Lin)
Unfortunately true... I always feel so sorry for anyone else travelling with me and my friends after a gig :tongue:

yeah it's not pleasant, you have to stand right up as tall as you can above the crowd to get a breath of fresh air. It's such a weird situation actually, people would never act like this otherwise.
Original post by Pedrobear
You are SO hardcore.

If you were an egg, you'd be proper hard boiled. Like an egg that you wouldn't even use an egg timer to boil, you'd just leave it on for like 300 years then come back and need like Thor's hammer to crack it open or something.

Man I could really go some scrambled eggs

:confused:
Personally I'd expect not to live to tell the tale...
Reply 29
Basically, I'm going to a metal concert in about a week

Tinnitus :eek:
Original post by viffer
Tinnitus :eek:

All the actual gigs I have been to have been quieter than my expectations.

I have had a night that was genuinely louder seeing local bands in a bar in canterbury. Also at home my dads hifi setup is so freaking loud if you put it past 5 you can hear it anywhere you are on the street. We put it upto 7 once
Last (and only) BMTH gig I went too wasn't great. Full of emo kids pushing to see Sykes. Managed to get a mosh pit going from the back to the front. Small-ish venue too so it wasn't that big, but it wasn't that great either. I think it depends on the crowd and the venue size.

I only saw them as they were playing with 4 others and wanted to see 2 bands of the 4 anyway.

Basically expect to have little breathing space, get covered in god know's what, possibly lose some clothes and possibly get slightly injured. You won't be hurt that much unless you are right at the centre of the pit for most of the time.
Reply 32
Original post by metalthrashin'mad
All the actual gigs I have been to have been quieter than my expectations.

I have had a night that was genuinely louder seeing local bands in a bar in canterbury. Also at home my dads hifi setup is so freaking loud if you put it past 5 you can hear it anywhere you are on the street. We put it upto 7 once

SEVEN :eek:
Reply 33
Original post by TheBBQ
Well considering you have BMTH, expect a storm of pansy scenekids and emos, just flailing about in these stupid pathetic mosh pits, or getting thrown about like sacks of potatoes by the Machine Head fans in proper mosh pits.

My friend said exactly the same thing...
Original post by viffer
SEVEN :eek:

the windows were really vibrating we were worried they were going to break lol. Louder than any band I've seen seriously. I dunno how much the whole thing was but its just ridiculous
Original post by Manitude

Original post by Manitude
Friend bailed on me three days before gig - could not find someone to take the ticket. Plus I got a lift there and back for nothing :cool:

Wow, nice :biggrin:
Original post by bammzie
Don't forget the occasional overly dramatic emo scenester getting all weepy and throwing a tantrum for getting pushed out of the mosh pit. :P

I don't know what the **** kinda 'metal' shows all of you guys go to.
The bands will probably play their big hits
Basically, I'm going to a metal concert in about a week, which features the following bands: Machine Head, Bring Me The Horizon, Darkest Hour and Devildriver.

What I want to know is what to expect from 1. Mosh pits and 2. Walls of Death.

This is the FIRST metal concert I'm going to, so I have no experience of moshing at all. Just how intense are these? I feel I'm not going to leave in one piece but I don't want to be a coward and just try and avoid all the fun.

Does anybody have any experience of moshing? And if so, what happened to you, and more importantly how did you approach it?

:rofl:

The BMTH kids are going to get killed in the pit.

Last time I saw emo and metal at the same gig, all the whingey Trivium brats were getting hammered by the Arch Enemy fans in the pit. They were crying that "it was too heavy". Bitches.

Have fun dude. Machine Head are sick live, as are Darkest Hour.
I'm so jealous, I wanted to go to that but couldn't find anyone to go with me.

Anyway, you'll meet plenty of interesting characters in the mosh pit. There'll be a middle aged bald beef guy who'll simply go around swinging his elbows and fists. He has no mercy, avoid this guy. There's sure to also be a really high guy with dreadlocks and he'll swish them about whipping everyone, also avoid him because when people push behind you and you get your face squished into his hair, ropeburn. When I saw megadeth there was a fat sweaty chick red and crying hysterically in the mosh pit beating her fists on this one guy's back. If you're lucky you'll see that kinda thing, always funny.

Mosh pits aren't too bad, I'm a 5ft1 miniature female and I'm usually okay. If you fall over people will pick you up. I've always avoided the wall of death though. It's always fairly easy to push yourself out if you don't wanna mosh anymore. Either way just have fun. Make sure to listen to Darkest Hour, their guitarwork is really great. Machine Head are superb as well. Personally I'm not a fan of the other two.

Quick Reply

Latest