The Student Room Group

St John Ambulance Society

Scroll to see replies

Reply 460
Original post by KingGoonIan
So no one did any Olympic duties then?

I did the Coventry football matches - I've got my accreditation pass hanging up as a souvenir :smile:
Reply 461
Original post by Whey aye Cabaye
I don't think there is a specific time, stepping from FA to AFA is not a huge step, not when you compare them with the other levels.

I believe that there is no defined wait between FA and AFA, but you must wait a minimum of six months to advance to PTA.

Ultimately, the decision is down to your unit leader / training lead to decide when they are happy to sign you off on the "competency in the role of [FA/AFA]" prerequisites for each course.

Note that the training system is not yet consistent across the country - Your County/Region May Vary (YCRMV) :biggrin:
Hey I am wanting to join soon it seems amazing, how long does it take before you can actually go out and volunteer? :smile:
Original post by kwah
I did the Coventry football matches - I've got my accreditation pass hanging up as a souvenir :smile:

Man that's awesome I've never done a football match before, wish I was close to a football stadium. Did you get any interesting casualties? Or was it fairly quiet Q word (don't wanna jinx myself for my next duty)?
Original post by raveen789
Hey I am wanting to join soon it seems amazing, how long does it take before you can actually go out and volunteer? :smile:

You won't be able to go out and volunteer until you have had a full CRB check. As soon as this comes through and you have met your division leaders you should be able to go out on duty but you won't be able to treat until you have had the necessary training. How quickly paperwork gets completed depends entirely on the division you join as every division is different some may be slower than others. Remember that the admin at the division you choose will be undertaken by people who are volunteers.
You won't be able to go out and volunteer until you have had a full CRB check. As soon as this comes through and you have met your division leaders you should be able to go out on duty but you won't be able to treat until you have had the necessary training. How quickly paperwork gets completed depends entirely on the division you join as every division is different some may be slower than others. Remember that the admin at the division you choose will be undertaken by people who are volunteers.

Oh right thank you very much, im hoping to go on Tuesday and see if i can join, they went on duty this tuesday :/
Oh right thank you very much, im hoping to go on Tuesday and see if i can join, they went on duty this tuesday :/

That's cool don't worry about missing duties there should be plenty to go on in the future :smile:

Am joining a new division myself soon because I am moving to a new area for uni so will be going through a similar process as yourself.
Hello guys :smile:
I've been a cadet since January, and done only 3 duties so far o.O
Nice to see a community on TSR though :smile:
Original post by Mollymod
Hello guys :smile:
I've been a cadet since January, and done only 3 duties so far o.O

What's it like in the cadets? I never was a cadet and there are no cadets attached to my division so they always interest me lol.

Nice to see a community on TSR though :smile:

Yep am doing my best to keep this an active thread so as to attract interest from potential future members, to promote SJA in general and to assist other SJA members on questions etc.
Reply 469

It depends on a few things. Firstly, what kind of unit are you looking to join? (adult/cadet/LINKS). Secondly, which county are you in?

Here in the West Midlands you need the following to go on events:

* Membership pack
-> This includes two references from someone who has known you for at least two years, is not a direct family member and is not a current member of SJA

* CRB check (enhanced level)
-> Note that we do electronic CRB checks now, and they return stupidly fast - it has been known for it to be returned on the same working day!!

The above can be done in one sitting...
I believe that technically this should be done completely before doing any training, but we do it in parallel.

You will now be a member of our "Induction Unit" (until you have completed a role assessment as a first aider, at which point you become an "Integrated Volunteer").

Overview of the training involved:

Spoiler

Titles of the West Midlands Region training modules (currently):

Spoiler

This is an extremely short overview, but in short it means that when you go on events as a newly qualified first aider you should be much more confident about treating due to the more comprehensive training and attending two events as a TFA with no pressure :smile:.
Reply 470
Man that's awesome I've never done a football match before, wish I was close to a football stadium. Did you get any interesting casualties? Or was it fairly quiet Q word (don't wanna jinx myself for my next duty)?

Aha, I tend to scare casualties away or exude some kind of "man up" pheromones... People tend to look after themselves when I'm around, else wait until a short while after I leave the area to hurt themselves :P

There were a fair few interesting casualties - I don't mind discussing via PM but I'll not talk about them on the public forum :smile:

I do not have much experience with football arenas but my impression is that on the whole, seated football events and arena events where people are stood/sat still are the ones where nobody is doing anything particularly dangerous. As such, it is mostly stings/bites/dehydration happen if it is hot and slips/trips/mild hypothermia happen if it is wet/cold. In both cases, pre-existing conditions (eg, asthma or other recent injuries) are common.

These were nothing compared to Creamfields this weekend just gone or V-Festival the weekend before...
Original post by kwah

These were nothing compared to Creamfields this weekend just gone or V-Festival the weekend before...

Yes music festivals always seem to be very hectic usually due to drink, drugs and broken glass. A lot of my peers always go to this music festival in my area where they wait in a ward-style bus for a horde of casualties that come in all night long. Sounds like great experience but I don't feel confident enough to take it on yet, maybe after a years nursing I will be up to the challenge.

No worries about not exposing the details of those interesting cases.
Original post by kwah
x

Your division sounds much more organised than mine. When I first joined I was allowed to observe straight away on duties without having any training. I was given a high-vis with 'observer' on my back. Does your division allow this too?
What's it like in the cadets? I never was a cadet and there are no cadets attached to my division so they always interest me lol.

You make us sound like a rare species :biggrin:
It's fine, I guess. We're kind of 'old' cadets, in the sense that we're 17, and all joined around the same time. The younger people are much more experienced than we are, and take the sessions a lot more seriously. It's nice to learn from them.
The experience of being cadet is very much watch-and-learn on duty. So far, I've never treated a patient, I've only ever filled out PRF's and handed out leaflets. It's nice to see some of the lesson topics in action though.

That depends on the recruiting system in place at the current time, one of things coming up in regionalisation is to streamline the joining process, although the biggest improvement in turn round times has come from using the electronic CRB submission system which has reduced turnaround times for CRBs from x week to x days ...

you may also find that induction and TFA training gets changed as a result of regionalisation with District recruit training systems put in place to get people to TFA if not FA in areasonably short time frame - reducing some of the delays at present from weeks to days again especially if people are able to travel around the region to pick up places on courses...
Original post by Mollymod
You make us sound like a rare species :biggrin:
It's fine, I guess. We're kind of 'old' cadets, in the sense that we're 17, and all joined around the same time. The younger people are much more experienced than we are, and take the sessions a lot more seriously. It's nice to learn from them.
The experience of being cadet is very much watch-and-learn on duty. So far, I've never treated a patient, I've only ever filled out PRF's and handed out leaflets. It's nice to see some of the lesson topics in action though.

The cadet experience shouldn't be 'watch and learn' but as so many people on the youth side seem to want to put up barriers to Cadets becoming involved in Service Delivery ( to the point that NHQ have a separate project on this as well as the structural changes coming with regionalisation - where youth units and their leaders are managed by 'all ages' area managers rather than a parallel structure of youth officers).

there's a few people on the youth side and CVAP teams that are very lucky to have survived meetings with Ops with the full amount of teeth and finger nails ... due to the utter guff they spout as 'policy' and BTW calling the people you want to support your program a bunch of paedophiles is not a good way to make friends and Influence people ...
Original post by zippyRN
The cadet experience shouldn't be 'watch and learn' but as so many people on the youth side seem to want to put up barriers to Cadets becoming involved in Service Delivery ( to the point that NHQ have a separate project on this as well as the structural changes coming with regionalisation - where youth units and their leaders are managed by 'all ages' area managers rather than a parallel structure of youth officers).

there's a few people on the youth side and CVAP teams that are very lucky to have survived meetings with Ops with the full amount of teeth and finger nails ... due to the utter guff they spout as 'policy' and BTW calling the people you want to support your program a bunch of paedophiles is not a good way to make friends and Influence people ...

When i started in cadets (5 years ago) the adults just got us to treat as we didn't mind doing the dirty work, but since then health and safety has gone into overdrive and now as an adult it is much easier to treat yourself than get a cadet to do it. I find that cadets these days are much more incompetent than when i was one. Maybe this is because they don't get the experience i had but as you said there are so many barriers to them and to us as adults in involving them in patient care.
Original post by kwah
Aha, I tend to scare casualties away or exude some kind of "man up" pheromones... People tend to look after themselves when I'm around, else wait until a short while after I leave the area to hurt themselves :P

There were a fair few interesting casualties - I don't mind discussing via PM but I'll not talk about them on the public forum :smile:

I do not have much experience with football arenas but my impression is that on the whole, seated football events and arena events where people are stood/sat still are the ones where nobody is doing anything particularly dangerous. As such, it is mostly stings/bites/dehydration happen if it is hot and slips/trips/mild hypothermia happen if it is wet/cold. In both cases, pre-existing conditions (eg, asthma or other recent injuries) are common.

what strikes me is the number of people at stadium duties that get themselves so worked up they have a heart attack! how can you care that much about sport? ? i hate doing stadium duties for this reason. Though i have never come across hypothermia there lol its mostly headaches i find :smile:
Reply 478
Original post by kwah
It depends on a few things. Firstly, what kind of unit are you looking to join? (adult/cadet/LINKS). Secondly, which county are you in?

* Membership pack
-> This includes two references from someone who has known you for at least two years, is not a direct family member and is not a current member of SJA

-> Note that we do electronic CRB checks now, and they return stupidly fast - it has been known for it to be returned on the same working day!!

I believe that technically this should be done completely before doing any training, but we do it in parallel.

You will now be a member of our "Induction Unit" (until you have completed a role assessment as a first aider, at which point you become an "Integrated Volunteer").

Spoiler

Spoiler

This is an extremely short overview, but in short it means that when you go on events as a newly qualified first aider you should be much more confident about treating due to the more comprehensive training and attending two events as a TFA with no pressure :smile:.

Hi. I'm in the west midlands. I applied 6 months ago. I still haven't heard a reply
Original post by kwah

* Membership pack

Spoiler

Spoiler

:O thanks a lot! i think id come under south Yorkshire or Yorkshire as a whole. Im a bit nervous about joining but i should be ok!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending