Turn on thread page Beta

"Top tier" uni's for job prospects - your opinions? watch

(Original post by an Siarach)
    *awaits a Gnostic endorsement*
    You can practically taste the argument coming. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I think King's College London might be up there as well (esp. for med/dentistry)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by firebladez777.5)
    I think King's College London might be up there as well (esp. for med/dentistry)
    Yes Kings is very good and from what ive read people saying it used to be a lot better? Which is to say it used to be a competitor for top 10 whereas in the modern tables its just in the top 20. If youre talking Medicine/Vet Medicine and traditional prestige Glasgow should probably be there as well.

ReputationRep:
    Actually I wouldn't rate Oxford that highly for employability. If you're studying Law or Economics&Management you're sorted - you're given a lot of information regarding applying for placements & training contracts / internships & graduate schemes almost as if it's an integral part of the course. For other arts subjects in particular this isn't the case; in fact employability if often hindered by some tutors wanting you to study over vacations and not do any paid work. We have a brilliant careers service and career fairs, but not everyone knows about their existence. Whilst some are 'in the know' about what buttons to push to boost their employability, there's plenty who spend all their time immersed in academic study, never do anything else constructive - no work experience, no evidence of leadership, teamwork etc, falsely allured into thinking that if they get a 1st/2.1 they'll be flooded with job offers.

I'm sure at the end of the day they'll find somewhere smaller v. impressed by an Oxford or Cambridge degree, but a student at a red brick uni who's done a lot of good work experience, eg a sandwich course, and other achievements such as sporting accolades, would do a lot better than the hundreds of dossers / hardcore academics there seem to be here.

LSE and Nottingham seem to be very good in encouraging students to do work experience etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by firebladez777.5)
    I think I read that 99.9% of dentistry graduates go straight into graduate employment anyway, regardless of which institution they study at.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gimp)
    I think I read that 99.9% of dentistry graduates go straight into graduate employment anyway, regardless of which institution they study at.
    Well only the decent - excellent unis do Medicine/Dentistry anyway + theres a high demand for them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Gnostic)
    What I think Jools is trying to say is that LSE rocks.
    Course he is.

ReputationRep:
    What I think Jools is trying to say is that LSE rocks.
    It's a very good career factory, though pretty much all the undergrads I know admit that the teaching quality's bad. Some aren't fans of the over-representation of overseas students, but overall hardly anyone's complaining of student life in London.

PS For 1yr MSc courses LSE doth rock.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, teaching is actually quite poor sometimes (i.e. some classes are taught by Latinos whose mastery of the English language makes George Bush look like the next Shakespeare) - but who cares? The entire point of university is study for yourself - all I want is big guns annexed to the institution.
    Gnostic what is it you are actually going to study or are studying at the moment?

ReputationRep:
    I was surprised by that 'table of tables' that puts LSE 23rd for employability. I'd put it top. Except apparently a sizeable number of oriental students can't speak coherent English.

ReputationRep:
    Philosophy, Logic and Scientific Method
    Ah.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 22, 2004
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.