Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Good morning everyone,

I kindly would like to ask a couple of questions to those who know the city of Bristol and suburbs.

I would like to know the names of suburbs and locations of the city where location of flats is cheaper and which are also good to live in (I mean safe, good schools for children and so on...).

Thanks a lot in advance.

PS: if you think that this is not the right forum to ask such questions could you please direct me to a more appropriate forum ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by djellouls)
    Good morning everyone,

I kindly would like to ask a couple of questions to those who know the city of Bristol and suburbs.

I would like to know the names of suburbs and locations of the city where location of flats is cheaper and which are also good to live in (I mean safe, good schools for children and so on...).

Thanks a lot in advance.

PS: if you think that this is not the right forum to ask such questions could you please direct me to a more appropriate forum ?
    Hi,

I'm originally from Bristol (I hope 19 years there qualifies me on this one )

You don't say how old your children are, but the provision for secondary schooling in Bristol is shoddy, unless you go private.

The only two traditionally good state secondaries are St Mary Redcliffe and Cotham. However, Redland Green has also been getting itself a good reputation since it opened about four years ago, and Colstons Girls and Bristol Cathedral Choir School are both private-schools-turned-academies. I wouldn't want to put my child in most of the other state secondary schools in Bristol unless you put a gun to my head.

I believe primary provision is somewhat better, although there are a lot of primary schools in Bristol and frankly I'm not as au fait with them, so you'll have to have a look at the relevant OFSTED reports.

As for areas, I think the Bedminster / Southville / Totterdown areas (particularly the last two, with Totterdown getting a slightly hippy image. If you're interested, it's where the first couple of series of Being Human were filmed) are the ones that immediately spring to mind. They're increasingly gentrified areas, primarily made up of terraced housing and just south of the river. Some bits should be within the catchment area of St Mary Redcliffe.

Other than that, unfortunately, most of the good schools are situated in the more affluent northern suburbs, where a 1-bed flat in the Cotham catchment area will set you back in the region of £190,000.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.