Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    What's people's experience with them?

I just bought one recently and I've been using it on my legs for about two weeks and so far I have mixed feelings.

It's stopped being painful now, but at the same time it's much more time-consuming than shaving, and it seems that no matter how many times I run it over the same area, it won't pick up some of the hairs that are too fine.

Anyone got any tips on how to use it?

ReputationRep:
    You must wait for your hair to grow to a certain length before epilation. Otherwise the tweezers can't grasp the hairs.
    Epilators don't usually work well on fine hairs.
    If you can't stand waiting for the hair to grow back long enough to epilate again, you might be better off purchasing an electric shaver/epilator combination. These models give you the best of both worlds and the most options from summer to winter.

ReputationRep:
    Depends how good your epilator is.. Mine has 42 tweezers and can catch really short hairs so it doesn't take as long. It still takes a lot more time than shaving, and it took ages to get a full clearance to begin with, but I've used it for a few months now and all I need are occasional touch ups. Hairs go through different growth cycles, I find it's quicker and easier to just get rid of them as they come through rather than waiting for a full regrowth.

Tips.. Exfoliate, exfoliate, exfoliate And moisturise after doing it. And do it at least the night before you need to get your legs out because otherwise you'll have nice red dots everywhere
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I just hate how noisy the things are.

ReputationRep:
    Just do laser, it's soooo worth it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alawhisp)
    Depends how good your epilator is.. Mine has 42 tweezers and can catch really short hairs so it doesn't take as long. It still takes a lot more time than shaving, and it took ages to get a full clearance to begin with, but I've used it for a few months now and all I need are occasional touch ups. Hairs go through different growth cycles, I find it's quicker and easier to just get rid of them as they come through rather than waiting for a full regrowth.

Tips.. Exfoliate, exfoliate, exfoliate And moisturise after doing it. And do it at least the night before you need to get your legs out because otherwise you'll have nice red dots everywhere
    I'm quite busy so I only get round to it twice a week - I bought the thing in Japan, and they don't sell it in Europe, so I'm not sure what the exact 'specs' are, but the instructions say the hair has to be 2-3mm.

It works on the more visible hairs, just not the large amount of thin, light hairs that I have so at the moment my legs just feel kind of stubbly, although they look perfect.

I freaked out the first time I used it and my legs were covered in red dots, luckily I've found they go away in a day or two.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kat91s)
    I'm quite busy so I only get round to it twice a week - I bought the thing in Japan, and they don't sell it in Europe, so I'm not sure what the exact 'specs' are, but the instructions say the hair has to be 2-3mm.

It works on the more visible hairs, just not the large amount of thin, light hairs that I have so at the moment my legs just feel kind of stubbly, although they look perfect.

I freaked out the first time I used it and my legs were covered in red dots, luckily I've found they go away in a day or two.
    Ahh, I see. Mine picks up 0.5mm, though 2-3mm is usually the ideal length. It probably doesn't have precise enough tweezers to pick up thin light hairs, because mine manages fine on them, so if it's not picking them up, just don't bother trying. I have noticed that the regrowth is getting finer, so I'm just going to stick with it It's not that painful anymore either.

(Original post by lovelylady2)
    Just do laser, it's soooo worth it.
    It's expensive, it doesn't work on people who are not white, or on people who have a tan, it doesn't work on blonde hair, it isn't always permanent, hair can grow back worse than before, it's time consuming, it's only a reduction (not removal) method.. If you're going to recommend investing a fair chunk of money on some form of hair removal, it should always be electrolysis. It's the only proven permanent method available.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alawhisp)

Which epilator do you use? I've been considering buying one for a while and am in need of a good one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WatermelonDemon)
    Which epilator do you use? I've been considering buying one for a while and am in need of a good one.
    This one: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Remington-EP...589561&sr=1-22

There are probably better ones out there but that was all I was prepared to spend It certainly does the job anyway, I can't complain.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 29, 2011
Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.