Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I keep looking online at these different organisations with which to volunteer through. I want to go to many places to teach sport and perhaps do a bit of teaching, but the prices are putting me off. Everywhere I have seen so far is upwards of £1000 for two weeks, and that does not include the cost of flights and a visa. Now I know it is likely to be expensive, but that is extortionate.

Now rather than moan about how it costs that much for a great holiday in a good hotel with a pool, and that you will be in not so great conditions, not riding any rollercoasters or meeting Mickey Mouse and actually giving something back to the community, I will ask if anyone knows anywhere that is far more reasonably priced.

Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    European Voluntary Service is free and you can go anywhere in the EU and a few other places too for many types of project. I'm applying at the moment. It seems okay, the only worry is not getting accepted as some placements get highly competitive. You can do short term or long term volunteering.

Worth looking it up.

ReputationRep:
    I volunteered in Thailand where you give a donation (wildlife retreat) pm me for more info

These websites are good http://www.oneworld365.org / volunteersouthamerica.net but depends where you want to go!

Good luck!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheQuietOne)
    European Voluntary Service is free and you can go anywhere in the EU and a few other places too for many types of project. I'm applying at the moment. It seems okay, the only worry is not getting accepted as some placements get highly competitive. You can do short term or long term volunteering.

Worth looking it up.
    Hi, I'm on a gap year too and have been trying to find out more about EVS but I'm finding it to be quite long winded and confusing. Any chance you could tell me how you've gone about applying for the projects? Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scarlettk)
    Hi, I'm on a gap year too and have been trying to find out more about EVS but I'm finding it to be quite long winded and confusing. Any chance you could tell me how you've gone about applying for the projects? Thanks.
    It does seem really confusing and long winded at first, but it's really okay once you get started, so don't worry about it I'll try to simplify it as much as I can here. I don't know how far along the process you are, so I apologise if I explain things you've already done.

First you have to apply to a UK sending organisation. I'm with VAP UK and they're brilliant! I always get fast replies to my emails and skype calls and they give great advice. Follow the steps here to apply to them: http://www.vap.org.uk/european-voluntary-service/

Then you just look through the database here: http://ec.europa.eu/youth/evs/aod/hei_en.cfm for 10 - 20 projects that you think will suit you. Email them all your CV and a short motivation letter. (Here's a guide if you're not sure what to write in the letter: http://youthoffice.org/wp-content/up...ion-letter.pdf)
    Attach both to the email in Microsoft Word format so they can be easily saved and read later. State CLEARLY in the application email itself:
    • Your sending organisation and their contact details
    • Dates you are able to volunteer between
    • How long you are willing to volunteer for
    • Your name and basic contact details if you feel they're needed. (should be in your CV already though)

Whenever you apply to a place, keep your UK sending organisation updated with where you've applied to. Just a quick email like "Hey, I applied to 2011-HU-20 today." is fine.

Once you've applied it's time to wait for answers. However do keep checking the database in case new organisations crop up that are even more perfect for you. I found it useful to keep an excel spreadsheet with a list of places I'd applied to, dates I applied, who I'd received replies from, dates of replies and any information they provided in the reply. Was easier to keep track of things that way than trying to make sense of my messy email inbox

Tips:
    • Google the names of the organisations you think about applying to and visit their websites, see if they have any videos on youtube, check for feedback from people about them, see if they have a facebook page or use twitter etc. I found this really useful to choose where I applied.
    • Apply mainly to organisations approved 2010-2011. I've found that most 2009 ones have stopped doing the scheme so applying is wasted.
    • Be persistent. If you don't get replies from places you apply to, send them a polite reminder.
    • If something is missing from their page such as the type of accommodation/language lessons/whatever they provide, make sure you ask them about it.
    • Make the motivation letter specific to the organisation to give the impression you really would love to work with them. You can re-use the same basic letter for each but address it to them and change one paragraph every time to say what interests you about their project and their country.
    • Be polite and remember you're applying to places that won't always be brilliant at English, so write with that in mind, and be ready for replies that are far from perfect English.

If you have any questions at all or would like me to look over your CV or motivation letter, feel free to send me a message

(Also...I just got accepted by an organisation in Budapest! SOOOOO excited even though volunteering only starts next September Yay for applying really early ...I have aaaaages to plan exactly what to take.)

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much, that's such a big help I'm hoping to go somewhere in April/May time, hopefully I've started the application process early enough.
    And congratulations! You will have an amazing time, very jealous of you going to Eastern Europe, it's always fascinated me!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much, that's such a big help I'm hoping to go somewhere in April/May time, hopefully I've started the application process early enough.
    And congratulations! You will have an amazing time, very jealous of you going to Eastern Europe, it's always fascinated me!
    Ooooh good luck I think you're okay as long as you get applications off early this month. Several of the places I applied to were starting in springtime, which sadly wiped them off my list as I'm still in sixth form until June :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Ooooh good luck I think you're okay as long as you get applications off early this month. Several of the places I applied to were starting in springtime, which sadly wiped them off my list as I'm still in sixth form until June :rolleyes:
    Wow, I was nowhere near as organised as you when I was in Sixth Form

ReputationRep:
    Wow, I was nowhere near as organised as you when I was in Sixth Form
    Oh I'm really poorly organised with everything else

I just want to volunteer abroad so much, and particularly in Budapest (I've always loved the sound of the Hungarian language and Budapest just looks so gorgeous.) that I did everything I possibly could to get accepted there...including being super organised and early with applications

I'm even starting to learn the basics of the language now, in preparation. (Yay for having a wonderful Hungarian speaking boyfriend! :awesome:)

ReputationRep:
    It does seem really confusing and long winded at first, but it's really okay once you get started, so don't worry about it I'll try to simplify it as much as I can here. I don't know how far along the process you are, so I apologise if I explain things you've already done.

First you have to apply to a UK sending organisation. I'm with VAP UK and they're brilliant! I always get fast replies to my emails and skype calls and they give great advice. Follow the steps here to apply to them: http://www.vap.org.uk/european-voluntary-service/

Then you just look through the database here: http://ec.europa.eu/youth/evs/aod/hei_en.cfm for 10 - 20 projects that you think will suit you. Email them all your CV and a short motivation letter. (Here's a guide if you're not sure what to write in the letter: http://youthoffice.org/wp-content/up...ion-letter.pdf)
    Attach both to the email in Microsoft Word format so they can be easily saved and read later. State CLEARLY in the application email itself:
    • Your sending organisation and their contact details
    • Dates you are able to volunteer between
    • How long you are willing to volunteer for
    • Your name and basic contact details if you feel they're needed. (should be in your CV already though)

Whenever you apply to a place, keep your UK sending organisation updated with where you've applied to. Just a quick email like "Hey, I applied to 2011-HU-20 today." is fine.

Once you've applied it's time to wait for answers. However do keep checking the database in case new organisations crop up that are even more perfect for you. I found it useful to keep an excel spreadsheet with a list of places I'd applied to, dates I applied, who I'd received replies from, dates of replies and any information they provided in the reply. Was easier to keep track of things that way than trying to make sense of my messy email inbox

Tips:
    • Google the names of the organisations you think about applying to and visit their websites, see if they have any videos on youtube, check for feedback from people about them, see if they have a facebook page or use twitter etc. I found this really useful to choose where I applied.
    • Apply mainly to organisations approved 2010-2011. I've found that most 2009 ones have stopped doing the scheme so applying is wasted.
    • Be persistent. If you don't get replies from places you apply to, send them a polite reminder.
    • If something is missing from their page such as the type of accommodation/language lessons/whatever they provide, make sure you ask them about it.
    • Make the motivation letter specific to the organisation to give the impression you really would love to work with them. You can re-use the same basic letter for each but address it to them and change one paragraph every time to say what interests you about their project and their country.
    • Be polite and remember you're applying to places that won't always be brilliant at English, so write with that in mind, and be ready for replies that are far from perfect English.

If you have any questions at all or would like me to look over your CV or motivation letter, feel free to send me a message

(Also...I just got accepted by an organisation in Budapest! SOOOOO excited even though volunteering only starts next September Yay for applying really early ...I have aaaaages to plan exactly what to take.)
    does the sending organisation have any influence or like does it matter what they do and what you want to do abroad?

University open days

• University of Chichester
    Multiple Departments Undergraduate
    Thu, 25 Oct '18
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 26 Oct '18
  • University of Lincoln
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Oct '18
Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.