Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am a third year student at college, and in my first year I made the massive mistake of taking chemistry, maths, biology and psychology. I did ok in biology and psychology and went on to complete psychology at A2 and achieving an A grade. However I completely failed maths and chemistry and got a U in both, hence why I didn't continue or retake any of those exams.

So I decided to take philosophy and sociology up instead and am just doing my UCAS application. I already have one A at A2 level, and as I got A's in philosophy and sociology at AS level, I am predicted overall AAA for UCAS.

I was just about to send of my UCAS when I saw it said I need to include all grades including any I have failed...
    I am guessing this means I have to include maths and chemistry that I took two years ago at U grades....

I am so upset as I feel like this is my last chance to apply to uni and I really want to get into Kent which wants AAA. I feel like I am going to get penalised for my first year at college when I have worked so so hard.

How much do you reckon this is going to affect my application? Any advice would be really appreciated. Thank you

ReputationRep:
    Taking three years to complete your A levels, without extenuating circumstances, can be seen as a negative by some universities - the only time you've encountered a full A level workload is when you failed two subjects.

None of us can quantify how much this will affect your application. Given that the subjects you failed are irrelevant to your degree choice (I presume), it may well be that they will overlook it. It's also not your last chance to apply, so don't pressure yourself with that argument. There's very little you can do to change the situation now, so just wait and see what happens.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm in a similar situation to you. First year of 6th form I took Maths,Chemistry,Biology and General Studies. I got U's in Maths and Chemistry. Changed subjects and am now being predicted BBB. I applied to UCAS about a month ago and I've had one offer so far, with acknowledgements from the others, so I wouldn't worry too much about having to put the U's on there.

It may affect your application slightly, however I think as long as you've got a strong personal statement and reference along with your predicted grades, then as mentioned above, there's not a lot you can do now. Good luck

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.