Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    A transport plane is towing a glider, which in turn is towing a second glider. They accelerate from rest on a level runway. The plane and gliders remain in a straight line and the tow ropes are horizontal. The gliders each have a mass of 1000 kg. Assume the force opposing the motion of each glider is constant at 1500 N. The plane reaches a speed of 40m/s after accelerating uniformly over a distance of 320 m.

Find acceleration of the plane.

During the acceleration, calculate: the tension in the tow rope between the two gliders, and the tension in the tow rope between the plane and the first glider.

I got the first answer: 2.5m/s^2. What else?

ReputationRep:
    I was about to answer the question but theres no way of hinting without labelling the forces (which is the question)

all you need is F=ma and to assume that the two ropes are inextensible- therefore meaning every part of the system has the same acceleration.

draw a force diagram and you've done the question...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hai2410)
    I was about to answer the question but theres no way of hinting without labelling the forces (which is the question)

all you need is F=ma and to assume that the two ropes are inextensible- therefore meaning every part of the system has the same acceleration.

draw a force diagram and you've done the question...
    2500+1500=4000 for first one
    4000*2=8000 for second one

Are the steps correct?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bbrain)
    2500+1500=4000 for first one
    4000*2=8000 for second one

Are the steps correct?
    I agree with your answers, yes.

If your method was to write out the equations of motion for each glider and solve, I agree with your steps.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 28, 2011

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.