Intergration questions Watch

dj1015
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hello

I was hoping someone could help me with some questions on intergration I have to do. I rather not be handed the solutions, but if anyone could point in me in the right direction it I would appreaciaite that.

I have no idea where to start with question 1, so that where I need the help the most. And I guess questions 2 and 3 would end up looking like a inverse trig functions, but I am not sure on how to get there.

1) \int  sin (\pi/4 - 2x) ( limits  are  0  and  \pi/2 )

2) \int t / \sqrt 4 - t^2 dt

3) \int 1/ \sqrt 9 - x^2

thankyou in advanced.

edit: does 1) need to be done in the form of sin A - B = Sin A CosB + Cos A Sin B and then intergrate it?
Last edited by dj1015; 6 years ago
TRLMaths
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Davethedavedave)
Hello

I was hoping someone could help me with some questions on intergration I have to do. I rather not be handed the solutions, but if anyone could point in me in the right direction it I would appreaciaite that.

I have no idea where to start with question 1, so that where I need the help the most. And I guess questions 2 and 3 would end up looking like a inverse trig functions, but I am not sure on how to get there.

3) \int 1/ \sqrt 9 - x^2

thankyou in advanced.

edit: does 1) need to be done in the form of sin A - B = Sin A CosB + Cos A Sin B and then intergrate it?
I think from what you've written you're correct in saying to use the double angle formula for question 1. For question two and three, you should get the same function. You're correct in saying it is an ivnerse trig - use your formula book if you can't remember. sin^-1?
dj1015
Rep:
?
(Original post by TRLMaths)
I think from what you've written you're correct in saying to use the double angle formula for question 1. For question two and three, you should get the same function. You're correct in saying it is an ivnerse trig - use your formula book if you can't remember. sin^-1?
so you can intergrate the double angle forumla?

also in question 2) does it make any difference if 't' is in the top line and not 1 when trying to reach some inverse trig function?
sinnhy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
For Q1. cant you just use \displaystyle\int sinx dx = -cosx + c and you will just get  (1/2) cos(\pi/4 -2x)
Last edited by sinnhy; 6 years ago
dj1015
Rep:
?
(Original post by sinnhy)
For Q1. cant you just use \displaystyle\int sinx dx = -cosx + c and you will just get  (1/2) cos(\pi/4 -2x)
should i intergrate 1) using the chain rule?
ztibor
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hello

3) \int 1/ \sqrt 9 - x^2

thankyou in advanced.

1)
It is a simple composite trigomometric function.
You can solve it without substitution with rules following
\displaystyle \int f(ax+b) dx=\frac{F(ax+b)}{a}+C
where F is the primitive function of f f.e. for sint is -cost
Your inner function is linear and is -2x+pi/4

2)
I think it
\int \frac {t}{\sqrt{4-t^2}} dx
This is a sample for following type of integrals
\int f'(x) \cdot f^n(x) dx =\frac{f^{n+1}(x)}{n+1}+C
In your example
 \displaystyle \int \frac {t}{\sqrt{4-t^2}} dx=-\frac{1}{2} \cdot \int (-2t)\cdot (4-t^2)^{-\frac{1}{2}} dx
and use the rule
f^n(x) is the power function of f, and is not the nth derivative which is f^{(n)}(x)
3)
There is no variable of x in the numerator , but it can be formed to the following base integral
\displaystyle  \int \frac{1}{\sqrt{1-t^2}} dt = arcsin t +C
In your example
\displaystyle \int \frac{1}{\sqrt{9-x^2}} dx=\frac{1}{3}\cdot \int \frac{1}{\sqrt{1-\left (\frac{x}{3}\right )^2}} dx =
\displaystyle = -\frac {3}{9} \int -\frac{1}{3} \cdot \frac {1}{\sqrt{1-\left (\frac{x}{3}\right )^2}} dx
Use the base integral and that
\int a\cdot f(ax) dx =F(ax)+C
whichis a special cace for that I wrote at the point 1).
Last edited by ztibor; 6 years ago
sinnhy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
should i intergrate 1) using the chain rule?
yeah
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Staffordshire University
    Nursing and Midwifery Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Teesside University
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18

Who is most responsible for your success at university

Mostly me (181)
91.88%
Mostly my university including my lecturers/tutors (16)
8.12%

Watched Threads