The Student Room Group

Not meeting the conditional offer but getting in ?

Hi, i just got a conditional offer from Portsmouth DMM but it seem impossible to me as most of my grades from last year are all Passes. So I was wondering are there any people who didn't actually meet the conditions but got accepted anyway ? and do you think I have a chance ?
Reply 1
Depends completely on your uni/course/how things pan out come results day.

I had an offer last year of BBB... I got ABBC and didn't get in. Yet I have one friend who had an offer of BBB and got in with BCD... one with an offer of ABB who got BBC and got in.... go figure.

I'd say don't bank on getting in without meeting the conditions and try your very hardest to meet them.
Indeed, it's very hard to say. I've seen people drop 2 UMS and not be allowed in on results day, and others ring up, plead their case, and still get in having dropped a couple of grades.

However, they may be more lenient with you given that applications are apparently down 15% for 2012, so the market is generally less competitive.
Original post by Lyddii
Depends completely on your uni/course/how things pan out come results day.

I had an offer last year of BBB... I got ABBC and didn't get in. Yet I have one friend who had an offer of BBB and got in with BCD... one with an offer of ABB who got BBC and got in.... go figure.

I'd say don't bank on getting in without meeting the conditions and try your very hardest to meet them.

I don't get it...

Your offer was BBB

You achieved ABBC

The bolded part not only meets your offer, but exceeds it. So you've exceeded by a single grade AND tacked on a C pass measure.

Under what grounds can you not get in?
Reply 4
As others have said, it is entirely different every year, at every uni, and on every course. There is *no* way you should bank on being able to get in without the conditions of your offer, even if you haven't applied for a particularly competitive course. The best thing to do in your situation is to ring up the uni and talk to an admissions tutor - you could ask for the offer to be reduced after explaining there's no way you can meet it. Worst that can happen is they say no, you'll still hold the offer and they can't take it away from you :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Mr Dangermouse
I don't get it...

Your offer was BBB

You achieved ABBC

The bolded part not only meets your offer, but exceeds it. So you've exceeded by a single grade AND tacked on a C pass measure.

Under what grounds can you not get in?

Sorry I should have made it more clear. The BBB was required in specific subjects, one of which I got a C in.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending