Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi all --

I'm an American looking to study for a MBA at a university in London. I have a BA from Framingham State University but my grades are not very good; I graduated with a 2.4 GPA (this translates to third class, I believe.) I have four years experience at a well respected NYC marketing firm, two of which are in a manager role.

Based on this, do I have a chance of getting into a MBA program? If so, to which universities do you recommend I apply. If not, is there anything I can do at this point to get in?

Thanks for your help!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mdernoga)
    Hi all --

I'm an American looking to study for a MBA at a university in London. I have a BA from Framingham State University but my grades are not very good; I graduated with a 2.4 GPA (this translates to third class, I believe.) I have four years experience at a well respected NYC marketing firm, two of which are in a manager role.

Based on this, do I have a chance of getting into a MBA program? If so, to which universities do you recommend I apply. If not, is there anything I can do at this point to get in?

Thanks for your help!
    Have you got a GMAT score?

I won't say you are doomed to not having any offers but it will be quite difficult without a 3.0gpa.... but if your junior and senior years cumulative is above 2.5 then it will give you a fighting change especially since you have good work experience in any case as an international student the not so well known places would be willing to overlook it as long as your gmat and work experience is good.

Get in touch with the following UK universities :-

Nottingham Uni, I tried this before had a few candidates that didn't even have a degree but they had over 10 years management experience.

Cardiff Uni - Just a degree is required...looked at it also but didn't like it.

Aberystwyth UNi - not that selective as long as you have work experience. Looked into it as well but gave it the pass as I could do better ones.

If these 3 say no, the look at some of the lesser UK universities which as the post-92 statute universities, still an MBA.

Couldn't you get into a US program?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for responding.

I haven't taken the GMAT yet, but I'm trending around mid-600s in the practice exams. I'll definitely look into the universities you recommended after I take the GMAT. My colleague did her undergrad at Aberystwyth and said she loved it.

I haven't tried getting into any US programs. It's always been my goal to go to school in London (or somewhere in the UK at least.)

Are the post 92 universities very much looked down upon? I get the sense that most American employers only recognize Oxford and LBS for the most part. Of course, I don't want to waste my time at a terrible program.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources
US study forum

Accommodation profiles:

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation - voted by 22,000 students.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.