Turn on thread page Beta

People knocking on the door driving me mad! watch

ReputationRep:
    I was just wondering if anybody knows what I can do about this. I've just moved back home for a few months and before I start my xmas job, I'm at home most of the day.

We keep getting these people - mainly young lads knocking on the door saying they are from TalkTalk and have we heard that the phone lines have been updated and we could get free broadband and phone calls (:rolleyes:). They want to look at one of our bills to check we're not paying too much.

We're already with TalkTalk and we're getting the whole broadband/ calls thing half price for the next 3 months anyway. My mum answered the other day and they dropped into the opening spiel of updated phone lines 'oh, you're with bt aren't you?' Surely they'd know we're not with bt?
    I keep either not answering or telling them my dad isn't here, which he isn't. If it happens again today I will tell them I want to check their name with TalkTalk.

If they're not who they say they are, who can I report them to? They came last night at 5pm when it was pitch black outside.

Any advice please.

ReputationRep:
    Just tell them you're with talktalk and close the door? It will take like 5 seconds and they should get the idea and tick you off their list or something, if you ignore them or say the house owner isn't there then of course they'll come back.

ReputationRep:
    They know we are with them, my mum told them when they asked if we are with bt.

My point is, I'm doubting they are from TalkTalk. Why would we receive notification that the phone lines had been updated? They were updated about 4 years ago and nobody told us anything because there's no need to.

ReputationRep:
    Ask to see talktalk related ID, phone up talktalk infront of them and get them to confirm the guys knocking are from talktalk and when they confirm that, tell the person on the phone to tell the guys knocking on your door that you're already with crappy talktalk and for them to leave you alone as if they keep knocking you'll leave talktalk.

ReputationRep:
    just be careful who they are..been gangs at xmas time who keep you talking at the front door and break in at the back....but remember its your place if you dont want to open the door you dont have to...i just look from the window and say no and leave them to it...

ReputationRep:
    Say that if you were interested you'd get in touch with them and not the other way round.

ReputationRep:
    i would ask for an id or something to prove who they are, because i would have thought if they really were from talk talk they would have something to prove that.

if they don't ask for their names and report them to the police.

ReputationRep:
    Just find the part of your house furthest from the door which is still comfortable, draw the curtains (if it's dark), stick some headphones in, and get on with whatever it is you've got to do.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds dodgy to me. Next time they come, take a camera to the door and video/photograph them. See how they react. Use as evidence is necessary.

ReputationRep:
    I would answer the door and ask for ID, if not, then get their names and go to the police. However, before you answer the door make sure the rest of the house is secure, like doors and windows are locked cos' the people at the door might be trying to distract you from people coming round' the back of the house to steal your stuff.

ReputationRep:
    it sounds like a variation of

"we're from the water board and need you to run your taps in the kitchen while we check upstairs"

ReputationRep:
    i use to be a door to door sales man best way in saying to them to get rid off them say i dont deal with the bills my self its my partner and he doesnt like changing we are happy with who we are with thanks.. then shut door..

Most people have signs in the windows saying dont call no sales men or canvessors etc but tbh there the first ones we knocked on.. just say tht or just say we not interested thanks bye.. and they should go..

and yes they come at tht time thats nothing... when i use to work for scottish power i worked from 1 till 8 at night thats only when people are in.

When they come to the door ask for there id on the card it should say talk talk and on the back there will be a agency who they are with and should have photo id with there name and signature IF they dont have any off these you can ring the police..

the police also can come out if your getting knocked all the time you can ring them and keep ringing them and they can get you're area to a no calling zone that means if anyone off them canvessers call round and get caught they can get a 800 quid fine and the company will get a fine also...

hope this is helpful anyway.

ReputationRep:
    The above replies are all good, especially contacting TalkTalk and watching the back of the house. Don't let them keep coming, or ignore it - they won't give up.

If that fails, get your baldest, ugliest, most thuggishly-built relative to open the door to them and then halfway through the conversation start muttering to himself about the bodies he has buried in the vegetable patch. They won't come back.

why don't you just not answer the door.

ReputationRep:
    Agreed - it's dangerous to answer. If you know they're coming, just don't open the door.

ReputationRep:
    Answer, find out who it is, if they're undesirable.
    "If you come to my door again I'm getting my shovel"
    And slam the door in their face.

ReputationRep:
    top tip for people... if u dont answer the door they will mark u down as a call back so theres no point in ignoring it thats what i use to do.. just answer the door and say you're not interested and shut it .. you will be fine

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.