The Student Room Group

TSR Money Savings Club

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jennie1987
I think I almost have £2000 in my two savings accounts - I worked loads of ovetime like Leavemyarcelona but they held a month back from us so it all came at once. I have had two interviews today for new jobs as mines getting worse and worse, both pay at least £1500 per annum more than my current job which has just increased by £700 per annum so although I wont get to £5k by Christmas I hope to have some more. Please bear in mind a grand or so will be gone early next year due to a holiday.

Well done you :smile: What do you work as? I recently sent out job applications myself, but I have received nothing more substantial than confirmations as of yet. Hopefully interviews will materialise, as I am particularly adept at putting across my experience and stuff like that.

Is there anything in particular that you're saving up for, or do you just like having a fair bit in the bank account like myself? :smile:
Original post by Leavemyarcelona
Well done you :smile: What do you work as? I recently sent out job applications myself, but I have received nothing more substantial than confirmations as of yet. Hopefully interviews will materialise, as I am particularly adept at putting across my experience and stuff like that.

Is there anything in particular that you're saving up for, or do you just like having a fair bit in the bank account like myself? :smile:

Thanks - have a written offer from one now and waiting to see if I have an offer from the other who I have just interviewed wit; if I dont by the end of day tomorrow I will write to accept the first so I dont lose it. I work within customer service/admin but experienced within industry for this so Im hoping that I have enough to warrant the offer as its not just a general office job and even people more senior than myself have been rejected for some roles.

The thing is I felt this one went better than the last so if I dont get a good response I will be very happy having the other but disappointed on a bigger scale than usual for a rejection.

Well I desperately need a new car but I have expensive taste atm (used new look ford fiesta is like £6500) so need to readjust because I dont want to waste money, Id love to save on a real scale for my own home but I dont earn enough for a mortgage so what would be the point of doing this exclusively, never been long haul so would love to go to America/Canada (sister recently said Australia) though I am going for a family wedding to Mexico in April but that wasnt my choice of destination, Id love savings in general - I feel ridiculous not having had any for longer than a few months but Ive had to spend for family things etc. that I dont regret but still Id love to have some cushy savings for that warm secure feeling. Especially if I resign tomorrow and the first offer people recind their offer because I didnt respond quick enough - aaaah worry. Is yours only for the extra or is there anything coming up you need to fund? Any interviews since your last response?
My savings are good; I've surpassed my target I set at the beginning of the year to reach for the end of the year; hope it stays with xmas shopping!
Original post by LovePeaceAwesome
My savings are good; I've surpassed my target I set at the beginning of the year to reach for the end of the year; hope it stays with xmas shopping!

What target was that if you don't mind me asking?
Original post by leavemyarcelona
what target was that if you don't mind me asking?

£1234431 :d
£1234431 :d

Oh you :tongue:
Oh you :tongue:

LOL sorry :redface:
LOL sorry :redface:

Not at all, not at all. How are things anyhow? Long time no speak :tongue:
Not at all, not at all. How are things anyhow? Long time no speak :tongue:

I know, right! Everything's good :smile: wbu
you could always try ditching phone contracts... paying £35 a month for a phone is stupid. You may as well have a pay-as-you go phone. cheaper over the 24 months you would have your contract. The money you'd be saving each month could then be invested in fast broadband for facebook which would eliminate the need for a phone.
I know, right! Everything's good :smile: wbu

Not too bad thanks very much. Finally broke the £3000 barrier with my savings lol. Decidedly meagre compared to what some other people on here have at the moment, but I'm getting there, slowly but surely. :tongue:

How did your exams go?
Reply 431
i currently saving up for university. Sigh working and saving with minimal wage is so bloody difficult
Original post by emmashine
i currently saving up for university. Sigh working and saving with minimal wage is so bloody difficult

May the force be with you my fellow saver :moon:
Reply 433
my depressing method of saving- Work after uni and live with my parents till I am out of debt
Original post by rickygod
my depressing method of saving- Work after uni and live with my parents till I am out of debt

May the force be with you my son.
Reply 435
Original post by Rakas21
How is everybody getting on?

Essential Outgoings per month..
Toiletries - £10
Food - £90
Travel - £72
Gym - £18
Phone - £10

Total - £200

Remainder...

Spend: £150

Savings: Anything above £350

Savings (things to save for)...

Phone - £400
Computer - £500
Masters - As much as possible

My primary aim by this time next year is to have saved £4k so that i can get the phone, upgrade the computer and live a life of relative luxury in my third year.

During my third year i will then save towards my Masters (though i may do a Sandwich/Year Abroad).

No job as yet sadly however i did get my computer in September and will be getting my phone in January (SGS3 for £300 online) although as i said, those will be the big purchases out of the way meaning that with my loans alone i would be able to start saving but with a job i should get plenty.
Reply 436
I need to start taking some leaves out of all of your books! I need to turn into a saver and NOW!

I've just got myself a new job, it's only part time so I really need to save more than ever. It's going to seem like quite a significant fall in wages after my last job was full time but any money is good money! The problem with me is, is that all of the jobs I manage to get are temporary so it's so hard to get up a momentum and start saving :frown: This job is only a xmas temp so I won't have a lot of time to save if I don't get kept on.

I really want and need to start paying off my overdraft too (£1000, not good!) Once I get out of that, no matter how long it takes, I'll feel like at least some weight has been lifted.

Anybody got any tips? My savings are almost all gone from my last job and my first wage from this one isn't until three weeks, which after tax (if I don't get emergency taxed which I hope to christ I don't!) I'll get just under £400 probably. Seems like peanuts compared to my last wages at my old job but any money is great at the moment!

I need to turn into a saver, help me over to your side guys!
Just reached £3,700 due to payday. Really hoped I would have had more than that by now though :/
Reply 438
Got up to £5500 this weeks thanks to my Nan (£1000 cheque from some policy she took out on me when I was born) :biggrin: slowly getting there! New job should help too, hoping when I start I'll be able to save at least £200 a month after rent/bills/travel/food etc

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 439
In on this thread. 17 years old been saving for a few years now. Currently saving as much as possible for before uni, got about £6k split between savings account, ISA and premium bonds at the moment. Hope to add another grand at least before uni in September.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply