The Student Room Group

TSR Money Savings Club

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Leavemyarcelona
Well done you :smile: What do you work as? I recently sent out job applications myself, but I have received nothing more substantial than confirmations as of yet. Hopefully interviews will materialise, as I am particularly adept at putting across my experience and stuff like that.

Is there anything in particular that you're saving up for, or do you just like having a fair bit in the bank account like myself? :smile:

So I took three jobs in succession and the one I started today turned out to be £4000 gross more per annum than my final salary of my previous job, £4700 gross more per annum than my salary a month before I left my previous job and £5200 gross more per annum than my salary when I started my previous job in 2011. Lol but have had to trade in my car so paying back the part cash borrowed to parent in monthly instalments with everything else - more money but terrible month to have weird pay and new outgoings with presents and super smart new wardrobe too.
Ergh, no money coming in and I'm well in my overdraft :frown: Help! Can't get a job, and I'm too busy to plug survey sites for pennies :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 442
I've just been doing my calculations and it seems that since i only now need to buy a Phone, Passport and a few computer bits i should be able to afford them all in my January payment as i have £600 spare after spending and bills. From my April payment i should have £1100 spare although i shall likely extend my contract taking up most of that so i can stay in the city center for the summer.

I suppose the good news then is that as i intend to search for a job i should be able to save almost every penny of my income (over £100 per week is what i'm looking for).

What is everybody aiming for in 2013?
congrats to this thread for running for over a year now!!
Hello all i'm joining up.

Goal: Looking to save for a car + insurance this summer. Goal £6.5K
Started saving from January.

So far i'm at £550 from selling some old stuff on good old eBay with hopefully another £900 coming in from one of my jobs before the end of the month.

Not much of my student loan left either.

My second job will pay the bills. Only problem is i'm still shelling out stupid money for driving lessons too and i'm going on holiday too.

Gaaah I spend too much. :'(
Reply 445
Finally managed to get something added to the savings pot this month, making my ISA up to £2000 and I've moved an additional £200 into a savings account. I didn't move that into my ISA because I need to pay off the rest of my Reading Festival tickets (one for me, one for the boyfriend) to a total of just over £300.

I've worked out what I can save over the next few months and I am determined to stick to it, no matter what.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
My wages were not paid yesterday so I have to wait until Tuesday. I then will be paid the 26th of each month starting this month so once that happens I can clear out payments for housekeeping and my new car but itll be a month wait on only 2/3 weeks pay and Im buying stuff for the holiday in April so Im hoping I can save but that would be for holiday so if I can buy things in the sales now I wont save yet.
Charity shopping is the way I save my money.

You can save so much on good quality books, CDs, DVDs as well as clothes, which is brill.

To save the most money, I'd recommend volunteering for a charty shop; you get first pick of the stock. It's brilliant. I now buy books for 50p and CDs for £2 instead of paying at least a fiver to get them new.
Reply 448
Essential Outgoings per month..
Toiletries - £10
Food - £90
Travel - £72
Gym - £18
Phone - £10

Total - £200

Remainder...

Spend: £100

Savings: Anything above £300

Savings (things to save for)...

Phone - £400 - Bought
Computer - £500 - Bought
Hawaii - £1k
Masters - As much as possible

How are people doing in their savings quest?

Mixed for me, there were no savings per say as getting a job fell by the wayside however i did get my computer and phone so big purchases out the way in addition i will be paying rent to stay over the summer in the city (only £58 per week though) so if i do get a job i should have a fair amount to be able to save.

For next year i quite fancy working in Hawaii via Bunac during the summer so will probably need a fair amount of money to go with however whatever i save from that and the year after should in theory be able to go towards my Masters.
Reply 449
I've secured myself another job, so my summer isn't going to suck as much as I thought!

Present savings:
ISA - £2018
Regular Saver - £500
Savings Account - £810

Total - £3328

Not bad for a clothing addict, hehe.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by Rakas21
How are people doing in their savings quest?

Mixed for me, there were no savings per say as getting a job fell by the wayside however i did get my computer and phone so big purchases out the way in addition i will be paying rent to stay over the summer in the city (only £58 per week though) so if i do get a job i should have a fair amount to be able to save.

For next year i quite fancy working in Hawaii via Bunac during the summer so will probably need a fair amount of money to go with however whatever i save from that and the year after should in theory be able to go towards my Masters.

Alright mate nice one for kick starting the thread again, it's been a while since we've had a post.

I got paid today, which brings the total amount of money in my bank account to approximately £8115.

However, I have had to work like a Trojan on speed to save that up, it's been incredibly hard going. I'm currently split about what to do with the money. I have an unconditional for Medicine starting in September, so part of me wants to stick to my original plan of saving up for uni and a housing deposit, and another part of me wants to go on a holiday to somewhere like Australia or Thailand, as i think that I should maybe do something a bit special before starting uni.

Any suggestions from anyone?
Alright mate nice one for kick starting the thread again, it's been a while since we've had a post.

I got paid today, which brings the total amount of money in my bank account to approximately £8115.

However, I have had to work like a Trojan on speed to save that up, it's been incredibly hard going. I'm currently split about what to do with the money. I have an unconditional for Medicine starting in September, so part of me wants to stick to my original plan of saving up for uni and a housing deposit, and another part of me wants to go on a holiday to somewhere like Australia or Thailand, as i think that I should maybe do something a bit special before starting uni.

Why not do both?

You could do a nice holiday to Thailand on about 1.5k, leaving you with enough to start thinking about a housing deposit (especially if you leave it in an ISA or something whilst you're studying).

Also, I might be wrong but doesn't the NHS pay med students at some point? All the med students I know seem to spend their holidays in far off holiday destinations like Jamaica and Hawaii, and they have massive cars etc. I might be wrong though.
Original post by kiss_me_now9
Why not do both?

You could do a nice holiday to Thailand on about 1.5k, leaving you with enough to start thinking about a housing deposit (especially if you leave it in an ISA or something whilst you're studying).

Also, I might be wrong but doesn't the NHS pay med students at some point? All the med students I know seem to spend their holidays in far off holiday destinations like Jamaica and Hawaii, and they have massive cars etc. I might be wrong though.

Yea maybe, I'm just a wee bit apprehensive at the moment, as I'm always very cautious with my money. I'm going to have to tone down the amount of hours that I'm doing soon, as I don't want to completely burn myself out before uni starts, as Medicine is obviously very intense. It took a lot of effort to save that money up; a level of effort that I wouldn't consider sustainable.

I was hoping to make it to £10,000, but I think I'll just keep working away for the time being and seeing where I end up.

What about yourself? How much do you have saved up?

EDIT: I'm in Scotland, and I think that there is some form of NHS funding for med students in their final year, but I believe the funding to be relatively standard for the rest of the degree, although I could be mistaken. Perhaps what you've witnessed is due to the fact that these individual students are already from affluent backgrounds? Because I certainly wouldn't envisage myself buying a 'massive car' whilst at university.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 453
Original post by Lord Jon
Hello TSR Money Bunnies! :rock:

Let's get ready to save!!!!!!!!!!! :afro:

I thought it would be a good idea to set up a club/thread dedicated to saving money , money off offers etc...... Basically we share tips and voucher codes/ links etc..... for offers etc....

But one word of warning: Do not post affiliate links. Because TSR won't allow it and this thread is not for you to post your affiliate links to get cash and whatnot.

If you wish to join post below. If enough people are interested we can create a soc. :smile:

Members

Agent Smirnoff :awesome:

Hi,

Thanks

Moneysaving Expert's forum is a good source of deals
Reply 454
Just had a work trial for a tele-marketing job which i think went well (find out tomorrow). If i get the call back tomorrow then from next week i'll be working about 30 hours (reduced during term time) and should be able to make a fair bit in savings since i will have about £800 per month for the next three and then probably about £500 during term time.
Reply 455
Since my last post, I've managed to add almost £1000 to my saving pot!

Currently sitting on £4200, and getting paid tomorrow although basically all my wages from that job will go on rent.

I get paid from my other job on the 28th, so shouldn't be too bad I hope!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 456

How long have you been saving?

It might be better to go to Thailand when you're financially stable and own your own property lol
Ladies and gentlemen, I have finally reached my target. I now have over £10,000 in my bank account. This is the result of an unbelievable amount of hard work, dedication and determination, all whilst working crazy hours for ****ty money.

I'll keep working for another few weeks or so, just for a bit of extra money, and then I'll officially (and deservedly :P) put my feet up for a bit.

Onwards and upwards.

:smile:
Here's another saver to join the club! :P

I've only started saving recently, I had few hundred euros saved up before graduation (June), then thanks to my relatives and friends, I got almost up to 2000€ via cheques and generous gifts mostly in cash form. But then I decided to spend some of that, and even offered to pay half of my friend's flight ticket's price when she came to visit me from the Netherlands... Generosity that I'm kinda regretting at the moment. ^__^

I'm still going quite strong however, and have about 1700€ on my bank account. Didn't get an official summer job (thanks to living in the middle of nowhere), but I'm getting occasional gigs helping my mum on her catering business on weekends, so that should earn me few hundred euros before September comes. I also sacrificed 4 hours of my night today to put up lots of comic books and other stuff for sale on a Finnish auction website. If I manage to sell most of those, that will earn me 50-100€. Oh, and I did business with a friend from the USA via skype, and managed to sell her some old Japanese comic books I collected a few years back and no longer need... Got 40€ for those!

Luckily my parents have already promised to buy me a laptop for uni (birthday present) and pay for my flight to Scotland (graduation present), so pretty much everything I manage to save will be actually saved, not used! I'm actually kinda hoping to keep saving during university, since I'm taking a loan and I want to be able to pay it back as soon as possible. That's why I've already been visiting the budgetbrain website a lot. Budgeting can get addictive!
Reply 459
Are many people planning to save this year.

Quick Reply

Latest