Turn on thread page Beta

What car to choose? watch

ReputationRep:
    I have done my driving test passed with 3 minors, I need a car but have no idea what car I should take, my mum said she will exchange her Honda jazz and add some cash for a car so around 4-5k pounds, I will do my pass plus scheme soon so reduce my insurance and I drive manual so help me find a good car. Thanks for the help.

Also I am a boy, as long as the car looks good and around 1.4l I am fine.

ReputationRep:
    I would have thought what the car drives like and how comfortable it is would be more important than what it looks like?

Test drive a few things...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    I would have thought what the car drives like and how comfortable it is would be more important than what it looks like?

Test drive a few things...
    It does but I can adjust to driving with the car.

ReputationRep:
    Pass plus is a waste of time tbh.

I have done it, and the company that got me the lowest quote (Elephant), didn't even take my pass plus into account.

If you have the money, by all means go for it, as you will be able to experience going on motorways and driving in the dark etc, before you're all on your own.

For cars, are you allowed to spend 4-5k on a car alone, then insurance on top?

Or is it 4-5k for the car, incl insurance?

ReputationRep:
    as long as the car looks good?

you mean in the eyes of yourself, or what females will think? i bet it is the latter really ;D

(Original post by seamen)
    It does but I can adjust to driving with the car.
    I can assure you a crap interior, uncomfortable seats, heavy clutch or woolly/heavy steering would drive you mad.

EDIT: pass plus doesn't reduce premiums by any more than the cost of doing it in the first place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FXX)
    I can assure you a crap interior, uncomfortable seats, heavy clutch or woolly/heavy steering would drive you mad.

EDIT: pass plus doesn't reduce premiums by any more than the cost of doing it in the first place.

What does a heavy clutch mean?

Heavy as in STIFF?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheCurlyHairedDude)
    What does a heavy clutch mean?

Heavy as in STIFF?
    No, as in heavy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nuffles)
    No, as in heavy.
    So easy to push down and takes long to come up?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheCurlyHairedDude)
    So easy to push down and takes long to come up?
    What? No. As in takes a lot of effort to push it down and control it precisely as it's always fighting you. It's a well recognised term within the automotive world.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nuffles)
    What? No. As in takes a lot of effort to push it down and control it precisely as it's always fighting you. It's a well recognised term within the automotive world.

Thanks, and yes it's even more recognized now because I now know what the term means.

ReputationRep:
    I know how you Poms like your hatchbacks. I reckon a little Ford Focus would be the way to go. Try to get one of the sports ones

ReputationRep:
    Check with your insurance company about pass plus - lots of people say it is a waste of time, but I saved 20% on my policy with Aviva because I had it. I know Tesco take it into account as well.

What about a mk1 1.6 Focus? No need to blow a lot of money on an expensive first car when you can have something decent for 1 or 2 years, then get something nice when you have a few years no claims under your belt
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Chicharito14)
    Pass plus is a waste of time tbh.

I have done it, and the company that got me the lowest quote (Elephant), didn't even take my pass plus into account.

If you have the money, by all means go for it, as you will be able to experience going on motorways and driving in the dark etc, before you're all on your own.

For cars, are you allowed to spend 4-5k on a car alone, then insurance on top?

Or is it 4-5k for the car, incl insurance?
    I agree. Quite a few companies dont accept it, and those that do dont reduce the cost by much (certainly not enough to warrant doing it). If you want the experience and have the money to pay for it, then do it, but if you are wanting to do do it to save money on insurance, then dont bother.

ReputationRep:
    the one with the biggest joy stick

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gorila7)
    the one with the biggest joy stick
    joy stick...... You play too many computer games.

ReputationRep:
    3 door astra

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jaidenh)
    3 door astra
    nah you'd definitely go for the big joy stick

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gorila7)
    nah you'd definitely go for the big joy stick
    Its called a gearstick you dumbass

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jaidenh)
    Its called a gearstick you dumbass
    oh ****

Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.