The Student Room Group

Is ambient music dead?

Personally, I love ambient music. But it seems that it's only used as soundtracks for games. I mean, just listen to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yN9l8sQFHGs

Lyrics in Latin: Aetas sancto aetas nam regna
Aetas sancto aetas nam regna
Recessus animae sancta
Recessus animae sancta

Scroll to see replies

No, it just sounds dead. :tongue:
Reply 2
It's not dead! It's.. ambient :P

Just keep looking and you'll find some :biggrin:
seriously though - love your Assassins' Creed clip. It's much more melodic than I would usually associate with ambient; I love the combination of strings with Gamelan instruments.
Well I had never heard of it. Can something be "dead" if it was never alive?
Reply 5

Is that ambient?
this came out in september and it is beautiful.

There is a lot of modern ambient as well, Stephan Mathieu is another favourite. Tim Hecker and some of the later lovesliescrushing releases could be considered as ambient, they carry drone elements as well
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by problemsolver
Well I had never heard of it. Can something be "dead" if it was never alive?

"I have never heard of X, therefore X does not exist"
Reply 8
Original post by subzero0137
Personally, I love ambient music. But it seems that it's only used as soundtracks for games. I mean, just listen to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yN9l8sQFHGs

Lyrics in Latin: Aetas sancto aetas nam regna
Aetas sancto aetas nam regna
Recessus animae sancta
Recessus animae sancta

wat

No. Like basically every other genre of music it's still very much alive. As bro above pointed out, just because you're not being exposed to it (which seems really odd if you genuinely like it) doesn't mean it's not there.

This is as dumb as people going around stating that all modern music sucks and that good music 'died' in the 70s.
Original post by Pheylan
"I have never heard of X, therefore X does not exist"

Fair enough I was partly just looking for something to post as I hadn't posted for a while.

But from what I've heard over the last few hours of ambient music, I'd say that this "ambient music" isn't very alive, regardless of how popular it is.
Reply 10
Original post by concubine
wat

No. Like basically every other genre of music it's still very much alive. As bro above pointed out, just because you're not being exposed to it (which seems really odd if you genuinely like it) doesn't mean it's not there.

This is as dumb as people going around stating that all modern music sucks and that good music 'died' in the 70s.

No, I did not say that. I'm just saying that it's not as mainstream as some of the others. I know the music is out there, but I don't understand why more people don't listen to it.
Original post by subzero0137
No, I did not say that. I'm just saying that it's not as mainstream as some of the others. I know the music is out there, but I don't understand why more people don't listen to it.

I never said that you did.

People don't listen to it because most people aren't interested in it. Just as most people are not interested in orchestral music, jazz, black metal or didgeridoo music.

It's not cool or popular, so those that don't really spend time looking into music aren't exposed to it, and most are happy to listen to whatever shallow, 'catchy' **** is currently polluting the charts.
I hate that this has moved away from a discussion about the awesome genre that is ambient music so I'm gonna leave this here.

Original post by metalthrashin'mad
I hate that this has moved away from a discussion about the awesome genre that is ambient music so I'm gonna leave this here.

Ravedeath was amazing. Love all of that album, but Hatred Of Music (all 3 parts) stand out as INCREDIBLE for me.

Other great artists: Brian Eno, Fennesz, Aphex Twin, Biosphere, Harold Budd, Kettel, The Kilimanjaro Dark Jazz Ensemble, Loscil, Nicolas Bernier, The Orb, Pan American, Proem, Autechre (don't shoot me), Secede, Maps and Diagrams, Ryuichi Sakamoto (also comes in combination with Alva noto, Fennesz and Hecker).

Ben Frost

My personal favorite right now is Loess. Ambient IDM, wonderful, and MASSIVELY underappreciated.

Also; Arovane.

(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 14
Jesper Kyd is the main.. I love all of his work.

especially his work on blood money.. but I guess that isn't really ambient.
Original post by metalthrashin'mad

There wasn't really any discussion regarding that though bro. u mad
Reply 16
Original post by Aisha~~
Ryuichi Sakamoto (also comes in combination with Alva noto, Fennesz and Hecker)

Under which guises some truly wonderful records have been released this year. OP should check them out for sure
Original post by hogso
Under which guises some truly wonderful records have been released this year. OP should check them out for sure

All I have to say is: Summvs. Christ, I've never heard anything which embodies beauty better. If I could give one record to everyone I know, it would be that (or Insen).

MA and Portishead are both very much trip hop :P Still fantastic, but quite far from ambient. Wandering Star remains a favourite of mine to this day.

Quick Reply

Latest