Turn on thread page Beta

Covers of drug related songs watch

ReputationRep:
    I just came across this news article:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-15935280

Where some pillocks are critizing tv bosses for allowing a contestant to sing "Under the Bridge", a Red Hot Chilli Peppers song about Heroin addiction.

Now whilst it silly when people cover this song especially people who obviously don't realise what it's about (like when the All Saints covered that same song) I really don't think it's a big deal.

Charity Kidscape called the song choice "disturbing and irresponsible" while counselling service Focus 12 warned producers that their duty to protect young people from the horrors of addiction was "not something that should be taken lightly".

The Daily Mail attacked the show's lack of concern over "troubling lyrics about heroin needles drawing blood". In fact, during her performance Devlin - who was subsequently voted out of the contest - omitted the song's final verse, the only part of it to deal directly with intravenous drug use.
    Anyone else think this is a big hoo-hah over nothing?

ReputationRep:
    :facepalm:

Sometimes I really do wonder when this kind of rubbish will stop. I hope one day somebody covers something by Cannibal Corpse. Then we'll have something to talk about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    :facepalm:

Sometimes I really do wonder when this kind of rubbish will stop. I hope one day somebody covers something by Cannibal Corpse. Then we'll have something to talk about.
    I might just apply to go on next year so I can sing Entrails Ripped From a Virgin's ****.

ReputationRep:
    I have nothing against songs about drugs, but I can see that it might be inappropriate for a bit of light saturday night entertainment. It maybe is the wrong place. Just like I've got nothing against people doing the toilet, but there are certain places where that shouldn't be happening.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marcusmerehay)
    I might just apply to go on next year so I can sing Entrails Ripped From a Virgin's C***.
    Do it. That'd be brilliant. Only if you have a good metal voice though...

ReputationRep:
    A load of fuss over nothing I think, doubt most viewers even realised the song was about heroin use until these charities starting jumping around and pointing it out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by problemsolver)
    I have nothing against songs about drugs, but I can see that it might be inappropriate for a bit of light saturday night entertainment. It maybe is the wrong place. Just like I've got nothing against people doing the toilet, but there are certain places where that shouldn't be happening.
    It's quite a popular song by quite a popular band. The video for it has been on countless times at any given time during the day on music channels.
    I guess what I'm trying to say is that I disagree with you :awesome:

People just like to make mountains out of molehills for no apparent reason these days.

ReputationRep:
    Most people won't even have realised what the song is about. Regardless, songs about drugs aren't irresponsible - unless they're saying, 'Woo, go get yourself some heroin, it won't do you any harm!' (but then again, most songs these days promote promiscuity, and that's not exactly responsible) - a lot of songs about drugs are lamenting the damage they do.

ReputationRep:
    But would they have the same issue with someone covering 'Space Oddity' or something? That's a song about drugs and being a junkie.

It;s silly, if there's no explicit reference then I don;t see a problem.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I'm sure nobody would have an issue if someone covered Golden Brown which is also about heroin.

I personally don't really care - music should always have freedom of expression. No lyrics should be off limits to artists in my opinion.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.