The Student Room Group

My ex yelled at me so badly I was having to hold the phone away from my ear :S

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Anonymous
He basically chose his university, because it was the closet decent one to me...it really did seem like he loved me once upon a time :/ Hey, she was doing law too? That I guess is something you can say he has no personality about, he openly admitted he wanted to become a lawyer for the money. How long were you with your ex for?

Well I guess our ex's attacked us, because it's the first form of defence. Doesn't sound like you were being paranoid at all and I know I wasn't either. They also don't know the meaning of controlling! I've had a controlling ex, about four months in, he tried telling me what I was and wasn't allowed to eat...didn't want me to drink at all etc Yes I know how to pick them :P

I agree! It is hard, especially as people our age don't seem to comprehend that relationships aren't from Disneyland! As soon as the first hurdle comes, most people seem to run instead of tackle it. A lot of people still seem to be as self-centered as children and need a few more years of growing up before they're ready to be in a relationship.

Haha, yeah, doesn't surprise me that he's a law students. Let's face it, it's not exactly a career that draws.. shall we say.. particularly inspiring minds.

You can make a noble profession out of it but probably 0.00000001% do.

I know why my ex attacked me, it's because she almost immediately started lying about what she was doing (only found out about this after the break up) and so making me out to be the bad guy was the way she absolved herself of any guilt. I seem to remember she later admitted that I hadn't been anything like she suggested, and instead claimed that I 100% would have acted that way if she's told me where she was going, so she was pre-emptively lying to avoid an argument... yeah, and to this day I think she thinks that's actually a reasonable mindset lmfao!

I was with her for years and throughout the entire period that's how she would behave, she has made many many mistakes in her life and she cannot cope with any feelings of guilt, so she basically lives in a dream world of lies.

It sounds like your ex was similar in some ways. It's just painful when it ends this way because you imagine how things would have been if they hadn't gone to uni or had made different friends or whatever. But you have to remind yourself, these flaws were there all along and if they didn't come out now they'd come out later on. I have known for a long time that my ex was an unstable personality and deeply untrustworthy and it had to end eventually.

So just remind yourself that it's for the best, because it really is. You've probably known that all along. The good thing is that people like this are actually not all that common, most people do have personalities.
Reply 21
Original post by xfirekittyx
Haha!
I don't agree with you that they are 'wasting their lives though', it adds to your life immensely!

How do you know? Could be missing something much better...
Reply 22
Original post by Ciaran88
Haha, yeah, doesn't surprise me that he's a law students. Let's face it, it's not exactly a career that draws.. shall we say.. particularly inspiring minds.

You can make a noble profession out of it but probably 0.00000001% do.
I am wounded Ciaran.. Thoroughly wounded :frown:
Reply 23
Original post by alawhisp
I am wounded Ciaran.. Thoroughly wounded :frown:

Noooo I am sure you're in the 0.00000001%, I have a cousin that is :smile: I just mean of most of the law students I've met it's been "hurr hurr can't wait to go work for Goldman" etc. or "well I have to do a profession so.. might as well be law?". In my exes case it was "my mum told me too".
Reply 24
Oh no Ciaran is right. I'm at King's and most law students are complete idiots, they always complain about how DIFFICULT their degree is and how intelligent they are for picking such a challenging degree. If I show them even a basic sorting algorithm they'll be ****ting bricks for months trying to wrap their head around it.
Reply 25
Original post by Zamolxes
Oh no Ciaran is right. I'm at King's and most law students are complete idiots, they always complain about how DIFFICULT their degree is and how intelligent they are for picking such a challenging degree. If I show them even a basic sorting algorithm they'll be ****ting bricks for months trying to wrap their head around it.

Yeah my ex went to Oxford so you can imagine how nauseating she would be, she'd even talk that way about other law students. You need a ****ing cyclizine drip to be anywhere near these people without hurling.

Don't get me wrong there are some pretty unbearable medical students around, although after hitting the wards they usually get some sense and humility knocked into them. And I'm not going to pretend that you couldn't teach any idiot to be a doctor, you basically learn on the job and I reckon most people could do it if given the chance, and as far as I could tell all my ex did was sit around memorising the contents of books. I remember her whining about the fact that she has a couple more tutorials a week than her friend at UCL. Oh wow, 6 whole hours of work a week is it princess? "Oh no and I have to read the rest of the time!" oh yeah? Wow. Let me go tell a nurse who works 9-5+ slaving away on the wards how easy they have it compared to you.

Honestly, these people are what is wrong with civilisation.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 26
Noooo I am sure you're in the 0.00000001%, I have a cousin that is :smile: I just mean of most of the law students I've met it's been "hurr hurr can't wait to go work for Goldman" etc. or "well I have to do a profession so.. might as well be law?". In my exes case it was "my mum told me too".

Haha, nice save hun :tongue: Though I do want to go in to corporate/commercial law, so probably don't have many noble ideas in mind for my profession.. :awesome:

Oh, no doubt. It's challenging, sure, but in a fairly straightforward way. Mainly memorising a **** ton of information/cases/precedents and applying it to things, that's it. I have a crap memory so.. Go me! Best law student ever :biggrin:
Reply 27
Yeah my ex went to Oxford so you can imagine how nauseating she would be, she'd even talk that way about other law students. You need a ****ing cyclizine drip to be anywhere near these people without hurling.

Don't get me wrong there are some pretty unbearable medical students around, although after hitting the wards they usually get some sense and humility knocked into them. And I'm not going to pretend that you couldn't teach any idiot to be a doctor, you basically learn on the job and I reckon most people could do it if given the chance, and as far as I could tell all my ex did was sit around memorising the contents of books.

That's my point exactly, it doesn't require any intellect. I don't understand why it's regarded as such a high and mighty degree.

I actually had this quite funny conversation with a doctor once and he said something to me like "Yeah I know what you guys say, there are Doctors and then there are smart scientists". Though I have to say being a doctor is a lot harder than being a lawyer. The funny thing is very few law graduates actually make a profession of it, because very few are actually proficient in it. The rest just 'earn' the degree and spend the rest of their lives boasting about it.

Oxford is so overrated, their science department is like a 8th grader's science kit compared to Cambridge.

I am SO getting negged for this :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 28
Haha, nice save hun :tongue: Though I do want to go in to corporate/commercial law, so probably don't have many noble ideas in mind for my profession.. :awesome:

Oh, no doubt. It's challenging, sure, but in a fairly straightforward way. Mainly memorising a **** ton of information/cases/precedents and applying it to things, that's it. I have a crap memory so.. Go me! Best law student ever :biggrin:

Yeah I'm not going to bother with a save, sorry Alawhisp. I have this inferiority complex about how under appreciated computer scientist are. If people actually understood how a computer works and how difficult it is to make it do even rudimentary tasks they would appreciate the science that goes into it more and the creativity that it takes to translate basic arithmetic using base 2 into the useful things that we use computers for today.

For a lot of problems we have to think abstractly or outside the box, everything is literally backwards. I find it funny how a lot of people called Inception stupid or overly complicated when it actually uses one of the fundamental concepts in computer science, which is recursion. Basically with computers, everything is like a taco inside a taco. (inside a taco bell, that's inside a burger king, that's inside a mall, that's INSIDE YOUR BRAIN!!) *BAAAAAM* (inception music playing)
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 29
That's my point exactly, it doesn't require any intellect. I don't understand why it's regarded as such a high and mighty degree.

Class. Law makers are de facto instruments of the ruling class, if not members of it.

I actually had this quite funny conversation with a doctor once and he said something to me like "Yeah I know what you guys say, there are Doctors and then there are smart scientists". Though I have to say being a doctor is a lot harder than being a lawyer. The funny thing is very few of them actually make a profession of it, because very few are actually proficient in it. The rest just 'earn' the degree and spend the rest of their lives boasting about it.

Oxford is so overrated, their science department is like a 8th grader's science kit compared to Cambridge.

I am SO getting negged for this :smile:

I just cannot stand pretence of any kind.

Yeah my degree is probably a bit more intense at this stage (years 1-3 a piece of piss) than most others, but it's still a lot less work than pretty much any working man or women does every day of their lives.

Does my career deserve any more "prestige" than a Colombian coca farmer slaving away in the sun to put barely enough food on his family's table? LOL.

The division of labour is the single worst thing to happen in the history of civilisation and "Oxbridge prestige" & "high and mighty degrees" are a direct product of it. It's moronic classism and I would rather be knee deep in mud harvesting rice for 12 hours a day than coast through life in a cushy bubble of pretentious non-work, so I could at least look myself in the mirror and call myself a man.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 30
I was in a relationship from 16 to 22 and tbh as much as i thought i loved it, it was balls! I missed out on a lot of fun in uni
Reply 31
Yeah I'm not going to bother with a save, sorry Alawhisp.

And I thought we were friends :cry:

I have this inferiority complex about how under appreciated computer scientist are. If people actually understood how a computer works and how difficult it is to make it do even rudimentary tasks they would appreciate the science that goes into it more and the creativity that it takes to translate basic arithmetic using base 2 into the useful things that we use computers for today.

For a lot of problems we have to think abstractly or outside the box, everything is literally backwards. I find it funny how a lot of people called Inception stupid or overly complicated when it actually uses one of the fundamental concepts in computer science, which is recursion. Basically with computers, everything is like a taco inside a taco. (inside a taco bell, that's inside a mall, that's inside a burger king that's INSIDE YOUR BRAIN!!) *BAAAAAM* (inception music playing)

I know **** all about computers but I am sure it is complicated and you are very very clever dear Zamolxes. Just for you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l71gaZnYgOU
Reply 32
And I thought we were friends :cry:

I know **** all about computers but I am sure it is complicated and you are very very clever dear Zamolxes. Just for you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l71gaZnYgOU

Ah thanks for that, it's good to have an inception soundtrack link handy. I actually wish my life had a soundtrack that everybody I come in contact with could hear and I could alter it at any time with just a thought. You know...for dramatic effect. Damn that would be epic.

But um...how can we be friends if you haven't even "friended" me on TSR!!!
Reply 33
Reply 34
Class. Law makers are de facto instruments of the ruling class, if not members of it.

I just cannot stand pretence of any kind.

Yeah my degree is probably a bit more intense at this stage (years 1-3 a piece of piss) than most others, but it's still a lot less work than pretty much any working man or women does every day of their lives.

Does my career deserve any more "prestige" than a Colombian coca farmer slaving away in the sun to put barely enough food on his family's table? LOL.

The division of labour is the single worst thing to happen in the history of civilisation and "Oxbridge prestige" & "high and mighty degrees" are a direct product of it. It's moronic classism and I would rather be knee deep in mud harvesting rice for 12 hours a day than coast through life in a cushy bubble of pretentious non-work, so I could at least look myself in the mirror and call myself a man.

Well I disagree about the division of labour. Because it's complementary with the industrial/agricultural revolution which...while it had very bad short term impacts allowed us to progress to a point where we can dedicate more than 10% of or population to science/research. It's basically the reason we have Computers today. Having said that I hate class division, like how in the US a Doctor earns a 6 figure salary and some little asian kid who made my iPhone works in horrible conditions for £6 a month or something. Thank you Steve Jobs, for making the world a better place by exploiting children to lower the operating costs of your company, you were such an innovator and an inspiration to us all

I think you're a lot more noble than I could ever be. Were I given the choice between those two extremes I would choose the cushy bubble, but that doesn't make me despise them any less, even though I am more tempted by the dark side.

I think if I ever see another girl on TSR complaining that there aren't any good guys any more I'm just going to link your profile. I've seen you post a lot and you clearly have morals and good ones, not just made up ****.

Well it's either you or hassan4life, I hear he's always interested.
Reply 35
But um...how can we be friends if you haven't even "friended" me on TSR!!!

I'm a lone ranger dude.. I just go my own way on this site.. No TSR friends, no ties.. Nothing :cool: And **** I just realised you were referencing SP earlier with the taco thing.. Derp.

Well it's either you or hassan4life, I hear he's always interested.

:lol: High five.

-

Good idea.. Slightly strange execution. I give you an A for effort though :biggrin:
Reply 36
I'm a lone ranger dude.. I just go my own way on this site.. No TSR friends, no ties.. Nothing :cool: And **** I just realised you were referencing SP earlier with the taco thing.. Derp.

:lol: High five.

Good idea.. Slightly strange execution. I give you an A for effort though :biggrin:

Oh it's okay, I'm a one man wolf pack.

P.S - I think mint berry crunch is the single greatest idea for cereal. Ever.
Reply 37
Oh it's okay, I'm a one man wolf pack.

P.S - I think mint berry crunch is the single greatest idea for cereal. Ever.

Absolutely.. The power of mint and berries.. With a tasty, satisfying crunch! :biggrin:
Reply 38
Absolutely.. The power of mint and berries.. With a tasty, satisfying crunch! :biggrin:

Dependable Petroleum, because we no longer **** the earth, we DP it.

Sorry...
He was probably lovely for a year because he was you boyfriend and making an effort to impress you so you would like him. Being friends straight after a break up is never going to work cos you still have all those feelings whizzing around. It takes time to get over someone and you need to give yourself that time. He is trying to make it work with someone new and you're bugging him. Why should you ask him to keep it off Facebook? I understand it hurts, but that is why you cut yourself off, you ignore him for as long as it takes. When you can finally think of him without welling up and you can look back smile and you can know he has a girlfriend and be happy for him, then you are ready to be his friend. I'm not saying you're entirely in the wrong he shouldn't have gone mental ad yelled at you, but I do think it was unfair for you to ask him to talk to his girlfriend about sparing your feelings and I think it was utterly stupid to try and be his friend when you still love him.

Quick Reply

Latest