The Student Room Group

What's the WORST thing about your PhD topic?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
The fact that there is practically no previous research on the topic (~3 papers); makes it bloody hard to design experiments. Also, when telling people what I do they go "oh, that's nice... something worthwhile and selfless!". Well, yes - but that's not the entire point of it.
Reply 41
In the beginning I had noone to talk to. Noone. I was describing the "problem" and I was getting responses like "you shouldn't get into this area".
Then I found some articles which were discussing exactly the same thing. I thought that I could use them to back up my observations.
Not a good idea. I got the "What makes you think that you will solve something that people with PhD in Mathematics have not been able to?"
My first degree is not in Maths. I told him that my entire PhD thesis will be on defending my viewpoint and I will hope that someone from another discipline will base her/his research in Maths on my findings and argumentation on the problem.

Until 5 days ago... what I need has been already created :smile: it was developed for a similar problem to the one I am obsessed with by a group of researchers, not in the UK, not in Europe, but in Australia and in China. Now I am focusing on the application of their research in my field.

So "the worst thing about my PhD topic" is not the topic, is that the people who work on this area are not on this side of the planet. For two years I am battling with this research question, pretty sure that I am on the right path, all but one academics that I have talked to were demotivating me. One had seen the problem because of her research but she had spoken to the "expert" from Oxbridge - who by the way dominates with his research the entire continent on what is doable or not in his area - who advised her to avoid this specific topic.

I think that I came with a lot of hope and ambitions on conducting research in England and now I see that it is governed by mediocre minds, at least in my research field.
I am sorry for the long post, but I was feeling like coming from another planet for long enough and it turns that the problem was not me.
Reply 42
Original post by mary.g
In the beginning I had noone to talk to. Noone. I was describing the "problem" and I was getting responses like "you shouldn't get into this area".
Then I found some articles which were discussing exactly the same thing. I thought that I could use them to back up my observations.
Not a good idea. I got the "What makes you think that you will solve something that people with PhD in Mathematics have not been able to?"
My first degree is not in Maths. I told him that my entire PhD thesis will be on defending my viewpoint and I will hope that someone from another discipline will base her/his research in Maths on my findings and argumentation on the problem.

Until 5 days ago... what I need has been already created :smile: it was developed for a similar problem to the one I am obsessed with by a group of researchers, not in the UK, not in Europe, but in Australia and in China. Now I am focusing on the application of their research in my field.

So "the worst thing about my PhD topic" is not the topic, is that the people who work on this area are not on this side of the planet. For two years I am battling with this research question, pretty sure that I am on the right path, all but one academics that I have talked to were demotivating me. One had seen the problem because of her research but she had spoken to the "expert" from Oxbridge - who by the way dominates with his research the entire continent on what is doable or not in his area - who advised her to avoid this specific topic.

I think that I came with a lot of hope and ambitions on conducting research in England and now I see that it is governed by mediocre minds, at least in my research field.
I am sorry for the long post, but I was feeling like coming from another planet for long enough and it turns that the problem was not me.

A lot of the researchers working around my area of interest are based in China. The problem that I find is not one of geographical distance but more some sort of academic-cultural seperation. The Chinese school in my area seem essentially closed off from the rest of the worldwide academic community and there is no dialogue save for the eventual appearance of the final published articles. Many of them don't even publish preprints which is unusual and also scary since the delay between the submitting and publishing of a paper can be so long that I may possibly not know that someone submitted a paper covering the same ground as the work I have in preparation until it is too late.

Also, purely out of interest - what is your topic and what discipline does it fall under (I am a mathematician).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending