The Student Room Group

Social Work 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by dan_oufc
Ahhhh, all of you seem to have applied really early. I only sent mine off like early last week.... Anyways, I've applied to Bath, Birmingham, Gloucestershire, Winchester and York. How sharp are they at giving offers/interviews this year? When I applied last year to do Physiotherapy they took absolutely ages! Didn't do too well with my last application, but I had no relevant experience and I was waiting on results. Now I have a lot of relevant experience and three Distinctions from a Level 3 BTEC. Fingers crossed I'll at least get a few interviews!

I have an interview for Gloucestershire on the 11th of January, it took nearly a month to come through
Reply 21
Has anyone heard anything from Leeds University? Ive got interviews at my other 4 chosen Uni's, but havent heard anything from Leeds, not even a confirmation email when i sent them my application "/
Reply 22
hi

i have an interview for salford 19th jan and man met 9th feb

just wondering anybody trying for salford what is the written assesment do you write your own or given a topic.

my friend said group discussion is fine, dead informal and staff are really friendly she goes there
I have an interview for Salford 25th Jan, i'm crapping myself about it tbh considering i'm terrible in interviews. It says it'll be a group one with an English test after it. Don't think i'll do to bad on the test its just the interview that's basically getting my nerves going.
Anyone give me any help as to the sort of questions they'll ask?
Good luck everyone :smile:

I have my place at Bedford uni all sorted for September. I was supposed to start this year but got a promotion at work to service coordinator working in children's services, so deferred my place for the year.

I applied for 4; UEA, Anglia Ruskin, Bedford and Northampton. I didn't get an interview for the UEA, got an interview at Anglia Ruskin and Bedford and withdrew from Northampton as it was April and I had received my unconditional offer from Bedford and Northampton hadn't even short listed for interview at the time.

The interviews were great, I found the English easy and if you are at A level English standard you have nothing to worry about honestly. Beford gave us a reading list of 6 recommended books and a question, we were able to bring half a sheet of a4 notes with us on the day and had to write the essay in exam conditions at the uni. Anglia Ruskin gave us a choice of 3 questions (1 mental health, 1 about a young single mother and 1 about a child) on the day and we had to write as much as we could in 30 mins.

The individual interview went well at Bedford, I had the time and they really tried to dig and throw things at me, which I loved and was well prepared for, Anglia Ruskin however seemed very unprepared and I got 5 mins to try and explain and I honestly didn't think they were even listening to what I had to say either, the ladies doing the interviews looked like they wanted to be anywhere else but there and the questions were simply 'why social work, experience and attributes'.

The worst thing I found was the group discussions, trying to take turns with a simple topic was a nightmare. You have to get your point across without butting in, bringing up good points and being respectful to other points of view. The Bedford question was 'Disabled people should be involved with the provision of their own care' and the Anglia Ruskin was a scenario of an old man who was frail and wife had died, he wanted to stay in his own home but struggled due to failing physical health and his bathroom was upstairs, what would you do to help'

Some of the people at the interviews were terrible, some of course were lovely and I made a couple of friends, but I came across lots of know it alls however (mainly at Anglia Ruskin) but I suppose you get that wherever you go, but it just annoys me as I have worked in social care for years at a senior level and you get these 18 year olds who think they know it all, when in truth nobody does. Make sure you don't fall into that trap or they will spot it a mile off and you will be unlikely to make it. The same applies if you're too timid, if you have nothing to say then you will struggle.

I hope that helps some of you to know what to kind of expect. Just be yourselves and enjoy it :smile:
Reply 25
i'll let you know saralouise 123 but my friend said topics for group discussion are the ones on the sheet theres no one on one interview which is always good

good luck guys
Reply 26
Original post by L2307
I've got an interview tomorrow at Huddersfield Uni .. Feeling very nervous!
I've also got interviews at Leeds Met and Hull. Just waiting to hear from York and Leeds uni!:smile:
I'll let everyone know the types of questions they ask etc, and ill post it on here. I've gotta have a group interview, individual interview and test!

Hello I have an interview for Huddersfield Uni on Friday. i am really nervous. have you got any advice? thank you for your time. :smile:
Reply 27
Ive got an interview for social work at nottingham trent on the 13th of january! :smile: you have to do a written piece for that too, but you have to do it at the interview :smile: x
Reply 28
Original post by Kitty-Kat
Yes I had to write the 1000 words, how did you find it? They confirmed my interview the day I sent the 1000 words to them =]

I felt more confident writing the 1000 words than doing the personal statement :smile:. Chichester didn't receive my essay?? but i re sent and have my interview on Tuesday. My friend received a yes the day after she sent hers too. so I spent 2 weeks waiting ( and panicking).

sussex uni have asked for 6 questions to be completed and a previous ( recent) essay to be sent for consideration
Reply 29
Yeah I know what you mean, it was a lot better than writing a PS haha that's so good, mine's on Tuesday too!

I had to fill in a questionnaire for UWE and I've had to put together a presentation for Gloucestershire where I had to make up my own scenario and evaluate what the role of a social worker in that situation would be, I think that was the hardest thing I've been asked to do so far to be honest.

I'm so excited for Tuesday, not looking forwards to getting up at 3am to get there in time though =[ lol
I just need to decide what to wear and pray I don't screw up on the day XD
Reply 30
Anyone had an interview at Hull?
Ive got one next thursday (12th jan) Also got interviews at leeds met, york and ive had one at huddersfield. :smile:
Reply 31
Original post by Kitty-Kat
Yeah I know what you mean, it was a lot better than writing a PS haha that's so good, mine's on Tuesday too!

I had to fill in a questionnaire for UWE and I've had to put together a presentation for Gloucestershire where I had to make up my own scenario and evaluate what the role of a social worker in that situation would be, I think that was the hardest thing I've been asked to do so far to be honest.

I'm so excited for Tuesday, not looking forwards to getting up at 3am to get there in time though =[ lol
I just need to decide what to wear and pray I don't screw up on the day XD

Yeah I think the presentation has gotta be worse sorry :frown:. I live in Brighton so it's not too bad. I'll guess it's u cos I'll have to wake u up :smile:.
Do u know how many people are being interviewed
That day?
Reply 32
Original post by pia smile
Yeah I think the presentation has gotta be worse sorry :frown:. I live in Brighton so it's not too bad. I'll guess it's u cos I'll have to wake u up :smile:.
Do u know how many people are being interviewed
That day?

It was a bit of a nightmare initially because I had to make up the scenario, luckily I have a friend who's going into his second year at Keele and he gave me some suggestions. It pretty much wrote itself after that. Haha yes I'll be the one discretely falling asleep, you'll have to throw things at me or something XD

I have no idea how many people are being interviewed, it could be quite a lot though if it's the only interview day they have, we'll have to wait and see. I'm getting really excited but really nervous about it now
Reply 33
Hi Guys,

I am sure your interviews will be fine. Can I ask you a question I have lots of social work books to sell and need to get the word out but I am being told I can not put a advert on here do any of you know where I can put a advert which will not get me into trouble.

Thanks
Reply 34
Kitty kat my friend is being interviewed Tomoz so there's at least 2 days! We won't be discussing what happens cos
I don't want the upper hand on her. I'm def not excited and now getting very nervous vow I have a tendency to waffle!!!! :smile:.

Yanni 2011 eBay is where I'm looking to grab bargains on books. But I am interested in getting books soon so I can read up before ( hopefully) beginning uni
Original post by Yanni2011
Hi Guys,

I am sure your interviews will be fine. Can I ask you a question I have lots of social work books to sell and need to get the word out but I am being told I can not put a advert on here do any of you know where I can put a advert which will not get me into trouble.

Thanks

www.communitycare.co.uk may let you.

Otherwise, just list them on Amazon - I have sold a lot that way.
Reply 36
Ive got an interview at Hull on 12th Jan (thursday), anyone had an interview there and have any tips?
Reply 37
Anyone had an interview at Leeds uni yet?
Reply 38
Hi guys x My names Amanda and I'm from Carlisle x Has anyone applied for U o Cumbria? I have my interview on the 15th of February '') x Mand xx
Reply 39
I have an interview and staffordshire In Early Feb
I do not know what to expect.
I am so HAPPY but yet nervous :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest