The Student Room Group

Social Work 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 440
well my first week is over! only in 3 days next week then we drop down to 1 day a week and lots of directed study at home.

How did the rest of u get on?

Read your posts Mand.. sounds like fun!

It'll take time- I've met so many different people in my first week and im sure we all have our differences. one thing i noticed on my first week is that we all have different life experiences that make us who we are, that person will find in a challenge as we go through the course. From what i can gather, social work will challenge the thinking that we all automatically do at times.

We had a whole day of meeting service users, that opened my eyes a bit more..

Here goes next week, submitting an essay on Wednesday that I've amended a million times!
Have a great week all xx
Reply 441
Original post by ashtoreth
wahay! loool

bet you feel relieved and all kosher now:biggrin:

and yeah, would agree, just see how it goes. tolerance is a difficult one and i don't suggest being a doormat but, mebbe she will chill out a bit over the coming days.
least, we can hope. right?

A big relief :smile: Roll on Tuesday when it goes in my bank and I can go and pay the bills and treat myself on Friday with my final wage :smile: x It's my first day of learning tomorrow... 1st thing Sociology for Social Work and in the afternoon I have Values and Ethics for Social Work Practice, a fun day ahead ;D xx Mand xx
Reply 442
Original post by RM12
well my first week is over! only in 3 days next week then we drop down to 1 day a week and lots of directed study at home.

How did the rest of u get on?

Read your posts Mand.. sounds like fun!

It'll take time- I've met so many different people in my first week and im sure we all have our differences. one thing i noticed on my first week is that we all have different life experiences that make us who we are, that person will find in a challenge as we go through the course. From what i can gather, social work will challenge the thinking that we all automatically do at times.

We had a whole day of meeting service users, that opened my eyes a bit more..

Here goes next week, submitting an essay on Wednesday that I've amended a million times!
Have a great week all xx

Hi :biggrin: It was an interesting week, I just hope things are better this week ;D Did you meet Lian on the course? xx Mand xx
Reply 443
I start my course this afternoon at Hull Uni. Am so nervous being a mature student I am expecting Loadsa younger adults being in class with so much more energy than I have :-/

This site is great and there have been loads of really helpful posts!

Wish me luck!

Mark

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by delectus
I start my course this afternoon at Hull Uni. Am so nervous being a mature student I am expecting Loadsa younger adults being in class with so much more energy than I have :-/

This site is great and there have been loads of really helpful posts!

Wish me luck!

Mark

extra good luck, mark! u will be absolutely fine, i'm sure :smile:

good luck to all on their 1st day today!
Thinking of applying for 2013 entry. Can someone help with regards to work experience? A lot of unis say they want 200 hrs worth and some say they want 3-6 months experience. I am trying to look for jobs as support workers and I am going to ring up residential homes tomorrow and ask around. What experience did you all have when applying?
Reply 446
Look up charities and local organisations in your area and see if any interest you and think of volunteering with them.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPa
Reply 447
Well

I qualified as a Psychological Therapist in 2009 but as there aren't too many jobs knocking about I moved into the Learning Disability field as a Support Worker in 2010.

Many charities. Nearby will be only too happy to let you volunteer but will. Red CRB checks first so it could take a while.

Good luck

Reply 448
Hey Mand,

The first few weeks are intense. :tongue:

You enjoying it hun ?

x
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 449
Original post by anisajazz
You probably can work in first year I did,it's 2nd and 3rd you probably can't.in first year I worked like 4 days a week now for second year iv had to cut it down to 1day a week I might even be giving up all together if it dunt work out

Yeah it seems manageable so far, as long as i start my essays on the day that i get them! I've just finished my ECDL too so i wont have to worry about doing that next year! Well done for continuing to work, its a lot of balls to juggle though isn't it x
Reply 450
Original post by RM12
Hey Mand,

The first few weeks are intense. :tongue:

You enjoying it hun ?

x

Hi :smile:
Yeah it's great but the heaviest workload to date, is Social Policy and Law :/ I'm just not getting the time to log on as much because of the directed study we have to do at home :/ However, I really enjoy the other lessons a lot and they're not as challenging :smile: How about you? Are you enjoying? xx
Reply 451
Yeah it's good so far. We've been doing role and context and intro to assessment. Have a essay due in November. That's fun! Not! The time is flying by isn't it.. Before we know it the first yr will be over :-) we're out on placement in February for 20 days. Is your course the same? X

Reply 452
Original post by RM12
Yeah it's good so far. We've been doing role and context and intro to assessment. Have a essay due in November. That's fun! Not! The time is flying by isn't it.. Before we know it the first yr will be over :-) we're out on placement in February for 20 days. Is your course the same? X

Yeah the time is flying by :/ lol We have a presentation at the beginning of Nov then 2 weeks later a 1000 word assignment on the reflection of it. A 2000 word assignment due by the 14th of Dec on Values & Ethics, 2 exams the week we return after xmas(4th of January-Sociology & Social Policy and Law), an IPL workbook and a 1250 assignment about that too, all before we go on a 30 day placement from the beginning of march ( the 30 days have to be fitted in, in the 8 weeks given or we can't continue onto year 2, rules of the HCPC). In year 2, we do 70 days placement and in the last year we do 100 days placement x I've definitely got my work cut out but I've structured my essays already, so I just need to get my ass into gear and do some reading instead of procrastinating on F.B on my days off :/ lol What about you? xx
Reply 453
Hey Hun. Yeah ours is similar. We have a essay to complete every month as well as reflective journals when we are out on placement in feb. our exams are in may, just before we finish the first year. I know all about the Facebook issue ! I have struggled this week to get into reading academic stuff- funny how I always manage to read status updates! ;-). Other stuff is always happening to keep me too busy. Excuses galore! If I lived in a house 50 miles from everyone, no kids, cleaner, chef, masseuse, library of books with a typist , no Internet and tv that cuts out if u watch it more than 2 hrs then this would be a doddle! :-)) xx

Reply 454
Hi everyone :-) hope your all doing great on your course xx just a quick "hello," coursework is flying in thick and fast, for me to check in as much as iI'd like to x Mand xx

Reply 455
Well my exam is in two weeks and am bricking it. I feel as though I've learned nothing lol. Should be fun! Am really enjoying it tho :-)

Thought I would update. So far so good. Really enjoying the course, the staff, the canteen and the uni (Bedford).
Got 77% on law exam and a B in human development. 3 assignments when we go back in Jan, practice log, 3000 sociology essay and 2500 child observation essay. I have nearly finished those but mainly because I find them so interesting, I'm keen to get started.
The pace overall has been very slow and I must say I'm looking forward to year 2 when things should pick up pace.
Looking forward to placement, hoping for forensic but we will have to see what is allocated.

Great to hear you are all doing well and cannot believe it is a year ago this tread started. Without doubt giving up my job and coming on the course was the best thing I ever did. Fingers crossed for everyone for exams and assignments, we can do this!

Merry Christmas and a happy new year.
Reply 457
i just finished writing up the first 1000 word essay from Chichester about why i want to be a social worker.. i found it challenging to say the least.. i felt like i was just repeating my PS.
I got a rejection from Cov still waiting on chester/lincon/kingston
Reply 458
Hi hope everyone has has a fab Xmas and New Year 😃 Back to reality on Monday with a bang.... Sociology exam on Mon and Social Policy and Law on Thurs 😁 then 7 weeks later we go on placement ... Scary times xx

Reply 459
Hi Mand,
just read your message regarding the exams, scary times indeed. I only start Uni in 2013 (social work), this may sound naive but i thought it was mainly coursework and group discussion/group work alongside the placements!!!! Scary as exams are not my strong point.
Happ New Year :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest