tadzingoo
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
my a level choices have to be in next week and im really sitting on the fence about doing english lit a level. i got a B in GCSE (which im resitting), but an A* english language, and im heading for an A in english language AS (so i know im not bad at writing essays). I enjoyed studying english lit gcse and i really enjoy reading, although i get little time to. Is it possible to get my essay writing up to an A standard in A level, or is it one of those subjects where you either have it or you don't, if you know what i mean...
My other choices are Maths, Physics, and either Spanish or Chemistry (also on which im struggling to decide). BTW, i'm not really sure what i want to do at uni...
ANY ADVICE?
tadzingoo
Rep:
?
bump :P
AspiringGenius
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
You haven't finished the GCSE course yet, so don't stress about grades. I was on the old spec so I had a mahsive exam at the end if Y11, I'm guessing the one yiu got B on was in Y10?

On the midwAy through year 11 mocks, I got an E and I finished both lit and language with a double A*. once you get the mechanical nature of the essay in, it's fairly straightforward.

I do English lit A Level, and so far, it's my favourite subject: Nd I'm doing three other sciences which I hope to use for university. see how the rest of year 11 goes and whether you get the essay skills needed. If so, I'm sure your college would let you do Lit- most do
xfirekittyx
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by tadzingoo)
my a level choices have to be in next week and im really sitting on the fence about doing english lit a level. i got a B in GCSE (which im resitting), but an A* english language, and im heading for an A in english language AS (so i know im not bad at writing essays). I enjoyed studying english lit gcse and i really enjoy reading, although i get little time to. Is it possible to get my essay writing up to an A standard in A level, or is it one of those subjects where you either have it or you don't, if you know what i mean...
My other choices are Maths, Physics, and either Spanish or Chemistry (also on which im struggling to decide). BTW, i'm not really sure what i want to do at uni...
ANY ADVICE?
With most schools, you will have the option to change your mind if you so wish so I wouldn't stress too much at this point. With English Lit AS, I'd say there was a bigger gap from GCSE to A-level then any of my other subjects (I've had health problems I was originally doing science subjects) and the subjective nature of the exams annoys me. I guess the biggest difference between GCSE and A-level is there is less focus on the language devices, and more on applying concepts such as marxism or feminism and having to interpret the same text several ways. If you enjoy it, and put the work in there's no reason why you can't do well. If you're good at english language it probabaly means you're able to communicate your points well, which is half the battle! A boy in my Drama class got a C at GCSE Drama and he's going to get a B at A-level at this rate, so it is possible to get one up from GCSE albeit rare :P
jojayne
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
ANY ADVICE?
Of course you can! I got two A* at English GCSE and found it just as challenging to do A-Level, but you mature as an essay writer and before you know it with a bit of work I see no reason why you can't get an A If you enjoy it, go for it!
roflcakes1
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I would say that sometimes people just aren't very good at essay writing or expressing their ideas... but if you're already getting A*'s/As in essay writing subjects, you should have no trouble so don't worry about that! Your essay writing will mature and improve as you write more essays and begin to look at critical essays. Enjoying reading will help you to improve your writing style and vocabularly etc.
I take english lit with maths and biology and it's really nice to have a break from science subjects to an arts one
CJAW
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
You should do English Language and Literature. This would do credit to your Language A*. All leading universities accept Lang+Lit instead of Lit anyway.
tadzingoo
Rep:
?
iv'e decided i am going to do it apparent its a chill out subject
CJAW
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Always a good reason to choose a subject...
tadzingoo
Rep:
?
NOTE, would like to do english lit because i love reading (although i get little time to) and i like to consider myself quite creative, however, my essay writing is not up to scratch; i can write well but i take WAY too long and often experience the dreaded blank-mind during exams.
BayBee323
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
if by chill-out you mean you can be relaxed with it don't be fooled. I found AS Lit quite relaxed, though I did pull an all-nighter and managed to get 100% in the exam - God knows how that happened, think they made a mistake tbh but i'm not querying it LOL! but A2 is SO SO SO hard
username4489224
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by CJAW)
You should do English Language and Literature. This would do credit to your Language A*. All leading universities accept Lang+Lit instead of Lit anyway.
Wait reall y????
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (48)
5.95%
Uncertainty around my education (92)
11.4%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (83)
10.29%
Lack of purpose or motivation (103)
12.76%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (40)
4.96%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (45)
5.58%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (88)
10.9%
Financial worries (54)
6.69%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (37)
4.58%
Exposure to negative news/social media (51)
6.32%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (25)
3.1%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (77)
9.54%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (64)
7.93%

Watched Threads