Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Just interested?

ReputationRep:
    Depends what they were doing after. If they wanted to go into film journalism, become a critic I think it is a sensible degree. If they wanted to work in film production I would think it was silly not do a more pratical course. If they did anything not film related then it is still valuable as it shows research/ essay skills.

ReputationRep:
    no job prospects, waste of taxpayers money

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chemengmeng)
    no job prospects, waste of taxpayers money
    it's the student who pays the fees, not the taxpayer.

I'd think: good for them :nothing:

ReputationRep:
    I'd think they liked films :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrHappy_J)

So who gives the subsidised loan and tops the fees up to the full cost of a degree?

ReputationRep:
    I would laugh at them

ReputationRep:
    That they were interested in film and were creative to some degree. That they want a career in film/arts/creative field.

ReputationRep:
    I know somebody who studied a degree similar to this and runs a successful media start up company in Dublin with some other business partners.

ReputationRep:
    I don't mean to be offensive but is it worth £9000?

ReputationRep:

No the government pays the tuition fees.

the "student" pays after they are earning 21k+, and most loans dont even get fully repaid as it is written off in 30 years

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JustWonderingWhy)
    So who gives the subsidised loan and tops the fees up to the full cost of a degree?
    and who will have to pay a 9,000 per annum fee from this year on?

the taxpayer doesnt pay for university degrees, only for the provision of primary and secondary education.

ReputationRep:
    As I am going to do it, I would think obviously creative but also able to construct arguments in essays

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bretters)
    It's unlikely that particular course would/could/should attract the full £9k fee.

ReputationRep:

the taxpayer doesnt pay for university degrees, only for the provision of primary and secondary education.
    Errrrrrrrrrrr .........

ReputationRep:

I'll try again. Who do you think provides the subsidised loan? Who tops up the fees to pay for the full cost of the degree?

ReputationRep:
    That if they don't become George Lucas or Barry Norman then they are chancers who fancied being a bit pretentious. Every time I watch a film I'm studying it in some respect - I can usually pick up the themes to it like how Star Wars was a 'western in space'.
    I don't need to spend 3 years and a load of money just to be taught by people who will probably know less than I do about the matter.

For £9000 you might as well fly to California and pay Steven Speilberg a small fee to give you an afternoon crash course in film. It'll probably be more insightful.

ReputationRep:

I dont think you understand how the tuition fees/loan system works in the UK.

http://www.slc.co.uk/

This may help

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough for them if thats what they want to study. I don't know anyone that studies straight Film studies but I know plenty of people that have combined it with something like english

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bretters)
    remember the course isn't only a year long lol, it costs a little bit more than that.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 30, 2011

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.