Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Can somebody explain how different people get different conditional offers? like some prople haveto get AAA but others only need ABB!? (im hoping for offer of BBB!)(that was a joke lol)

ReputationRep:
    I think its if the uni wants to encourage the person to go there more. Like if someone is applying to oxbridge and somewhere average, the average uni may give a lower offer as fall back if that person does badly. If the average uni gave the same offer as oxford or cambs then the person will obviously not go to the average one over the other one.

ps I may be wrong

An ABB offer would usually be usually be the result of an interview going really, really well. A very good Personal Statement may also help. Basically, the University is making sure that it gets you even if you slip up on your exams. You have to have proven that you're up for the course regardless of exam performances. Hope that's of some help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vetboy)
    Can somebody explain how different people get different conditional offers? like some prople haveto get AAA but others only need ABB!? (im hoping for offer of BBB!)(that was a joke lol)
    I think it depends on a variety of factors- perhaps how you perform at interview, your work experience, previous grades. If they like you at interview I suppose they would be more likely to give you a low offer.

I think Cambridge and Bristol only give out offers of AAA though.

ReputationRep:
    also, does it matter which subject the A is for? V.helpful information thanks

ReputationRep:
    They usually say on the conditions, i think the majority specify As in chemistry, and sometimes in biology too, then the last A is for whatever!!

ReputationRep:
    ABB offers as far as I am aware are only ever given out by RVC. I was fortunate enough to get one last year , and they sent a letter explaining it. (I was so proud I have kept it :p: )
    (Original post by RVC)
    Our standard offer is usually AAA or AAB, but as you scored very highly in your interview we are making you an offer of ABB grades at A-level (A2). You are required to obtain grades ABB at A-level in Biology, Chemistry, and Mathematics or Geography.
    Note no requirement for the A to be in a particular subject.
    They give out a few each year from what I gather.

(Original post by thefin)
    I think its if the uni wants to encourage the person to go there more. Like if someone is applying to oxbridge and somewhere average, the average uni may give a lower offer as fall back if that person does badly. If the average uni gave the same offer as oxford or cambs then the person will obviously not go to the average one over the other one.
    The other Unis do not know where you have applied so they couldn't make a lower offer on the basis of this.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Hawk]ABB offers as far as I am aware are only ever given out by RVC. I was fortunate enough to get one last year , and they sent a letter explaining it. (I was so proud I have kept it :p: )

Hawk
    I think I'm going to have to "go" for ABB! What constitutes "scoring very highly" in the interview. Please give me some idea - I need all the help I can get!

Thanks
    Jay

ReputationRep:
    To get an offer of ABB you really have to impress the interviewers, a great personal statement and you will still need the predicted 3 A's. As far as I know its only the RVC that give out these lower offers. As for a good interview, thats subjective and is probably different for each candidate :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    This may sound silly, but I have a friend who got an offer lower than the typical offer, this put him off the Uni - He thought that it wasn't as good as he first thought it was... lol... The Uni in question was Birmingham

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shauniemac)
    This may sound silly, but I have a friend who got an offer lower than the typical offer, this put him off the Uni - He thought that it wasn't as good as he first thought it was... lol... The Uni in question was Birmingham
    The vet schools are usually predictable in what they give out though, as RVC range from ABB, AAB and AAA, whereas bristol and cambridge are fairly well known for giving out only AAA offers.

ReputationRep:
    My Liverpool offer was for AAB, A in chem and biol and B in English but i rang up on the day with a B in chem and they were more than happy to take me, so maybe how your grades are spread accross the subjects doesn't matter so much.

ReputationRep:
    It can also depend on what Alevels you are doing as for instance i was given an offer of ABBB at edinburgh as i was doing 3 sciences and maths (the A had to be in chemistry) whereas if i had been doing 3 sciences and a humanitites subject the offer would probably have been AAB here.Im still not sure which is the lower offer in that situation!!?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 3, 2006

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.